Old July 1st   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeZ View Post
Well here is the problem I see with this:
1. Waterproofing the screen and how much for repair if it gets damaged during server storms. With the projection screens it's a lot cheaper and doesn't take as much to maintain as the LED.
The ones I've looked into are completely sealed. They can even operated completely underwater for months!
Quote:
2. Is that price with shipping?
I think shipping was extra, but that's only about $2k at the max.
Quote:
3. After figuring in overall running cost and take into account for any maintance work needed, I honestly don't think it's actually worth it.
Maintenance will probably be an issue down the road, but they come with either a 1yr or 3yr warranty (depending on the model), and a panel is pretty easy to swap out. Any lighting company should be able to do it. Besides, Lamar runs into these same situations for their LED billboards.
Quote:
4. I don't see it bringing in enough people thanks to places like Netflix and people being able to torrent movies they want. Why leave the comfort of your home if you can watch the same thing. I know of people that have brand new movies in DVD quality after being in theaters 2 days. No one appreciates stuff like that any more. People have become more lazy and have no reason to leave the house except to work to pay their bills. Ok that's my rant lol.
I think the draw of these theaters is that they are cheap! Many of them are going to a carload admission format and are showing two movies. That's really cheap compared to the $10+ ticket prices that are out there these days. And I just thought of something--3D is still possible with a good screen. So a 3D outdoor experience will be pretty unique.

Just some ideas. I don't have the $1.5-2M needed to roll on something like this, but I find it neat to run the numbers.