Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old September 7th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Community or Clique?

This has been a post I've thought about making a long time ago, and some recent discussions have brought it back up to the top of my mind.

Building a community is a buzzword in corporate America right now, especially with the social media mediums of Facebook and Twitter. But besides asking people to 'like' them or 'follow' them, many companies aren't building a real sense of community. So what is community?

The way I see community (for the corporate world) is that it is a medium of communication in itself--whether an email list, a forum, a Facebook page, a stream of tweets, or even monthly meetings face-to-face. Community is about people joining for a particular cause, and getting to know each other a bit below the surface--and sometimes much more, making lifelong friends. Community is open to newcomers, welcoming them to the community and possibly finding a new friend.

The challenge of building a community is that it requires a welcoming type of atmosphere and social culture from the onset. Without this, a group can be more like a clique.

The definition of a clique is really hard to find online, but the gist of it is that it's a group that attempts to exist based on exclusivity. While this exclusivity may be apparent to those within the clique, it can be completely trivial and oblvious to the rest of the world. This is a completely different premise for existing than a community revolving around a cause.

Gangs, clubs, cliques, and other forms of communities all have some sense of exclusivity. But the groups that attempt to 'guard' this exclusivity miss out on expanding, sometimes on purpose. Gangs require crazy initiation processes; cliques can require some sort of social hazing; clubs have dues or minimum commitments. The problem is that the more extreme the 'guarding' of the exclusivity, the more anti-social the community becomes. And this is ironic when the whole idea of community is to bring people together.

The online game has changed the face of communities and cliques. Communities and cliques exploded with the advent of online communication. The very first online communities started on email lists, newsgroups, message boards, and forums. And what administrators of these communities quickly learned is that the darker elements of cliques quickly made its way into the community, sometimes unknowingly. Since forums have been around for well over a decade now, the cliqish elementes are now just a part of forum membership 'process', and many people just accept the clique elements that come with it. But what has hurt these forums that have allowed their communities to turn into cliques, is that their expansion is restricted. And while there are forums that don't want to grow, users retire on a regular basis so it's always necessary to at least have some new members to keep things going. A community/clique that holds exclusivity so high will eventually fade from existance--like gangs, clubs, and other communities have in the past.

And the problem of cliques threatening expansion and the longevity of a community exists even in the real world. The formation of cliques within clubs and communities can fracture the social fabric within a club. Or in cases where a club turns completely into a clique, can close off the club to future members, thereby burning-out existing members.

So why does exclusivity rank so high within some communities, sometimes to the point of being detrimental like in cliques? Well, communities and cliques are made of individual people, so we have to examine why a particular individual is craving exclusivity. Exclusivity can make an individual feel special, unique--even loved. And when exclusivity fills the gaps in someone's life that is gravely missing these basic human desires, the exclusivity becomes very important--even something to guard or defend. And this is all at a really individual and personal level, having nothing to do with the community around them.

This thinking actually has a lot of basis in the psychology of the individual, which is why I'd love to get a grant to analyze and determine the general psyche of the car enthusiast. I think it would be facinating since we are all a little different than the general public. Even Jay Leno knows people by the car they drive versus their name, lol.

I look at local enthusiast hobby from a very wide point-of-view. I see all the communities that makeup our scene and the varying degrees of exclusivity that are in each of them. And there are very few that truly feel like a clique, which is why we have such a rich and vibrant enthusiast hobby here in North Alabama. Communities make our scene stronger. Something to keep in mind when determining where exclusivity fits in.
Old September 7th   #2
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Always gonna be a hater somewhere hatin' on your mods because you didn't build the car they wanted. Just remind yourself they do it out of insecurity, and then smile. They usually don't represent the majority of their scene or niche group.

Not everybody likes chrome wheels. Not everybody likes slammed or bagged cars or wire wheels or spinners or the fad of the week. But if you can't respect the customization and effort someone puts into their car regardless of the style, look in the mirror and see the #1 hater in your life.
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th   #3
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Well put Samir - one thing I have to say about this North Alabama group is we all seem to get along fairly well. Take the Huntsville Car Scene Summit that you put on for us in the early spring. Multiple decades of car enthusiast in that room. Anything from British cars, Volks, American, Import etc.... We all sat together, had a great time and ate. Thats what I call a community feel. I didn't feel isolated, nor did I get the feeling anybody else did either.
Old September 7th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
Well put Samir - one thing I have to say about this North Alabama group is we all seem to get along fairly well. Take the Huntsville Car Scene Summit that you put on for us in the early spring. Multiple decades of car enthusiast in that room. Anything from British cars, Volks, American, Import etc.... We all sat together, had a great time and ate. Thats what I call a community feel. I didn't feel isolated, nor did I get the feeling anybody else did either.
Yep, and it's why I still live here and try to make my ultimate vision come true--a truly interconnected and united scene. And it's coming. I see more connections building day-by-day.

We were scheduled to have one of those summits each quarter, but it's not exactly happened so far.
Old September 8th   #5
slowjoe24
slowjoe24
.......what do you want to talk about??
Huntsville Car Scene Staff Writer

Great points and spot-on!!! Let's ALL keep working together to make OUR Car Community in North Alabama be the best that it can be If we will keep working hard to help each other out, you watch what will happen to our car community over the next couple of years

Thanks Samir for ALL that you do to help promote and bring unity to ALL Clubs!!!
slowjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowjoe24 View Post
If we will keep working hard to help each other out, you watch what will happen to our car community over the next couple of years

Thanks Samir for ALL that you do to help promote and bring unity to ALL Clubs!!!
Yep, and we had it a few years back. Ask anyone that remembers the days in 2006 when we all were hitting events during the day all the way into the night, seeing the same cars and friends all day long laughing and playing the whole time. It will take some work to bring it back, but I'm ready for it.

And thank you for the compliments Joe. It makes the long days and nights worth it.
Old September 12th   #7
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Wow! Well said Samir!! I couldn't agree with you more and that is one thing I have noticed on HVCS the short time iv been on here, everyone acts as a community and is willing to help enthusiast no matter make or model. That to me says a lot about the site.
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Wheel Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote