Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Nissan Owners

North Alabama Nissan Owners A dedicated forum for the Nissan Owners in North Alabama

Old April 18th   #1
speedfreek
speedfreek
doesn't think that word means what you think it means.

Infiniti G working on 530HP twin turbo IPL

Rumored to be introduced in the 2014 lineup to compete directly with the Mercedes C63 AMG and BMW M3.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/17/i...l-model-for-g/
speedfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is pretty much Mia.

Well that's interesting.........
Old April 18th   #3
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

Saw that on Motortrend and got excited. Then I saw the pricetag. No thanks.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th   #4
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Now that's pretty hot.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th   #5
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
That looks like a good sleeper. Looks like a regular G37.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th   #6
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

My whole philosophy is you could turbo an older G37 and customize it to your liking and still save money over this new one. The only reason to buy this is "I want something new and shiny with a custom emblem".
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th   #7
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Not to mention a warrenty and it's stock this way... so there won't be issues like aftermarket. This car is shy of a drop and wheels from being complete.

But I do see your point.

Old April 18th   #8
dragginbody87
dragginbody87
has no status.
Official Huntsville Car Scene Grammar Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD Z View Post
Not to mention a warrenty and it's stock this way... so there won't be issues like aftermarket. This car is shy of a drop and wheels from being complete.
Well that is a valid reason. I forgot all about warranties because mine void so fast
dragginbody87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th   #9
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginbody87 View Post
Well that is a valid reason. I forgot all about warranties because mine void so fast
Hell, I don't know what a warrenty is.

Old April 18th   #10
speedfreek
speedfreek

It will be interesting to see what the MSRP is if this actually comes to fruition here in the States. I think this is a good direction for the IPL brand in actually adding some weight behind the badge instead of it just being a re-tuned G37 adding +18hp with new fascia and body panels. However with Nissan dedicating at least 5 more years to the current GT-R setup I do not see how this will not cannibalize sales directly competing with themselves minus one being AWD. It would be fun however to drive the IPL with a manual gearbox RWD. I think for the IPL to have any success they will have to price it in line to compete with the C63 AMG, M3, and CTS-V coupe. So somewhere in the $60k - $70k price range. If they mean when they say priced more in line with the GT-R at +$90k they can forget it.

In all this madness where is the love for the Z? There is no talk of adding a TT setup to its lineup. Only talks of downsizing it to compete with the FRS/BRZ collaboration. This leaves me very

Last edited by speedfreek; April 18th at 03:04 PM.
Old April 18th   #11
Samir
Samir
hopes that he doesn't die from stress before the endof 2014...
Administrator

What exactly is IPL? Are they a tuning house like AMG?

Yeah, I don't see the Z competing with that platform unless it's also in B-stock. The z platform definitely is overdue something, but maybe they're playing with the sister platforms until they 'get it right'.
Old April 18th   #12
speedfreek
speedfreek

IPL stands for Infiniti Performance Line. Which up until the 2014 model doesnt really mean anything. But yes they are aiming directly at the other companies in-house tuning departments.

If they are going to develop a TT engine to drop in the G platform it would be easy to cross it over to the Z. But with the talks of downsizing the Z altogether it looks like it will most likely not happen.
Old April 18th   #13
Samir
Samir
Administrator

Ahhh, makes sense now. Initial Program Load just didn't make sense, lol. I wonder if they'll be strapped on their design due to the manufacturer relationship?

What type of downsizing are they planning for the Z? They could just reintroduce the s13 240sx, lol. That would outsell the BRZ anyday!

You know, that's an interesting idea. Why not re-start production on a car that has made a comeback? They already have the tooling and the knowhow.
Old April 18th   #14
speedfreek
speedfreek

That is what everyone wants to happen is bring back the Silvia/240SX to compete in the FRS/BRZ market for an entry level sports car.

Nissan's design chief, Shiro Nakamura, wants to downsize the Z to compete in the entry level market. It would be in order Z, G, GT-R for Nissan's lineup if that takes place and no rebirth for Silvia/240SX.

Maybe there will be enough feedback for them to bring back the Silvia/240SX to compete in the entry level market and keep progressing the Z alongside the G as far as the engine progression. I do not want them to take the VQ away from the Z or whatever the next rendition is for the next G IPL.
Old April 18th   #15
Samir
Samir
Administrator

If they want an entry level competing car, just make the old 240sx, updated for all the modern safety requirements and give it the 2.5 that's used in the Altima. Plenty of power and pep, and fun. It would be awesome if they could just literally start building the s13 again though. A brand new one would be what, $15k? lol.
Old April 19th   #16
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Nissan is looking into a turbo diesal or a hybrid for the next Z car. You could very well see a 350hp car but it won't be a 3.9L or a 3.5TT sadly. A Z with the same 530hp motor as the G would be great! Then as yall said, bring back a 240 version smaller cheaper sports car and hybrid that or use the 2.5L and maybe turbo it for more power?

Also, did yall know the Z is the best selling sports car of all time? Not for long if they do half the stuff they are talking about to the Z. But, you have to keep with the times I guess.

Old April 27th   #17
Samir
Samir
Administrator

I can see the Z being the best of all time. It's been around long enough!
Old May 3rd   #18
370Zack
370Zack
has successfully offloaded his Altima.

ehhhhhh a couple things.

1) I don't think this thing Infiniti is doing will end up being a G at all.

2) Nissan is tossing a lot of ideas around, and they're gauging interest in the media. Right now, the Z sits right in the mix of cars in its price range on an overall performance level (Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Genesis V6, Challenger SRT, etc). Makes ZERO sense for Nissan to downsize it and move it down a class. They would have no dog in that fight anymore. They will revive the S chassis now that we're already seeing good sales numbers for the Subaru BRZ (pre-orders are doing double what they forecasted).

3) If you twin turbo the Z, bump it, etc... it will need to be somewhere close to a Camaro ZL1 / Mustang GT-500 level. This is murky water to play in considering their performance levels being close to a GT-R. BUT, from a price point perspective, it makes a lot of sense to offer a light boost twin turbo application on the Z so it can go play with those cars and being a strong competitor... but that's one side of the argument. If this thing is on the level of performance that the GT-500 is for around the same price, then it could cut into GT-R sales. It CANNOT cost more than $55,000 though. This segment will also be interesting as Hyundai is reportedly considering their own V8 to toss into the Gen Coupe.

If there's one thing Nissan has always been good at, it is marketing and product lineup/diversity. They will figure it out and find a way to make this thing succeed. The Z isn't really in any trouble right now in my opinion. The real issue here is Infiniti and if they really want to 100% put themselves into a slugfest with the Cadillac V cars, Audi RS cars, Mercedes AMG cars, and BMW M cars. If they decide to really compete, they will come packing some serious heat. We have already seen what they have done to Porsche when they decided they wanted to play for keeps.
370Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #19
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Zack View Post
We have already seen what they have done to Porsche when they decided they wanted to play for keeps.
Huh?

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #20
370Zack
370Zack
has successfully offloaded his Altima.

I was referring to what Nissan did with the GT-R when they went after the 911 turbo with it. Sorry... lol after looking back on that I did a terrible job wording that.
370Zack is offline   Reply With Quote