Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners

North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners A dedicated forum for the Mitsubishi Owners in North Alabama

Old January 14th   #1
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Reliable 4g63 Machine shops?

Anyone know the best place to take a 4g63 for machine work? My local machine shop refuses to do a long block for me with this platform and is projecting 2+ weeks just machine the block and head for a gasket and clean the oil pan/valve cover.

The engine is from my 95 eclipse GST.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hmmm...I know Victor used R&R back in the day when he built his Galant VR4, but that's almost a decade ago. Perhaps some of the local DSM/Mitsu guys will chime in.

There's also a thread about machine work here that may help:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=1414
Old January 14th   #3
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Yeah I messaged Victor on Facebook but I don't think he gets on that much. Thanks I will look them up.
Old January 14th   #4
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I am just sick of dealing with all these people that won't give you the time of day unless its a dadgum veeate.
Old January 15th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Yeah, I haven't seen Victor in a while. He had a subie (which I think he sold?) and was involved with the local Subaru guys for a while.

I can understand the frustration. This town isn't very import friendly. We had a lot of issues getting a Toyota 22r block honed, and even when it was, it was marginal quality if even that. Japanese engines typically require more precision than domestic v8s, and I think that's part of the problem.

In the end, if they don't want your business, I wouldn't force them. I'd send the block off to a company specializing in the 4g63, or just buy a block from them and use yours as a core.
Old January 15th   #6
ray
ray

I haven't heard of many shops locally that can do good 4G63 work. Not even in this state. I would check out places in larger locales. Atlanta, Nashville and the like.

Or just a legitimate speed shop like Buschur, AMS, STM but those cost a LOT more money. And they are probably going to outsource any machining work to their shop of choice too.
Old January 15th   #7
Natedog
Natedog
is contemplating my next project...

Really depends on who you want to use... In HSV I'd start by talking to R&R. However the guy that used to do most of there 4g63 work passed some time ago.

I've had W&W Machine (Keith Watts Racing) in Cullman do 4G63 head work for me, and I liked the way they treated me better than most of the other shops around. Next 4g I have built will go to them.

I've had Wheeler Machine in Cullman true up some heads for me in the past, no complaints there. There is also Gordon's machine in Decatur, he did good work, built my bottom end, but he had to send most of his stuff out for major machine work, so it was kinda slow.

Now don't take it that I'm complaining about any of these shops, they have all treated me fairly well, I just felt more comfortable dealing with Watts than the rest.
91 Mighty Max 4x4 - Broken DD
05 Mitsubishi Lancer - "Big Wing Edition"
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Awesome feedback Nate! Thank you! I knew there had to be some good guys local.
Old January 15th   #9
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

The thing is I am not really looking for a built block, I just want the stuff I have fixed. I am getting 177-180 compression across the board with clean valves (no carbon buildup) and relatively clean pistons (low carbon buildup) So I know for a fact my rings are still good. Its within 3 points of factory on every cylinder, and its got 166k miles. Was a 2 owner car, the previous owner lost interest when he got his Evo and just let it sit for a couple years.

I had it running good until it sprang an oil leak.

I am dealing with wheeler in Cullman now Natedog. I used them before to resurface a head after the carquest beside books a million kept doing the same thing to me. I will check out W&W if they don't have any better answers for me next week @ wheeler. I don't understand what could possibly take 2 weeks to check a block for warp, and surface a head.

Once I get ready for the big build in the RX-7 It will defiantly be getting MAP or other reliable DSM shop short-block, I am hoping however, that one of the local shops can do a head for me.

As for Victor, the last time I talked to him he was still driving the LHD Evo 7.

Last edited by Tanro; January 15th at 12:07 PM.
Old January 16th   #10
Natedog
Natedog

They are probably just that backed up. Sure it would only take 30 minutes to check your head and block, but is that fair to everyone else who have been waiting 2 weeks to get something done? It's the off season for racing, so I bet you there is probably some really expensive builds going on, in most of the reputable shops around. I once waited over 3 months for a shop to build an engine, only to have to take it from them, and assemble it myself. I never was happy with the way they treated me, always behind, never had the work done they said they would... Never the less, that shop is not mentioned above for that exact reason. Don't think that a shop doesn't want your work just because they are 2 weeks behind. Sure it sucks, cause we all want everything fixed yesterday, but finding a shop you trust on a personal level is way better than taking it somewhere that may or may not get it right in 1 day.
Old January 16th   #11
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I called W & W and they said they are a week out, then I called wheeler, and they said they thought I wanted my block stripped down and surfaced.

I corrected them, told them I just needed it checked for warp, and they said they would call me back later today to let me know whats going on. I figured a week, or two tops. And I told them two was fine, but when they stilled hadn't even layed a straight edge on the block after 2 I was pretty upset.

But I will probably go with W & W next time. Seeing as these guys won't do a long block for me.
Old December 21st   #12
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I will now avoid keith watts like the plague. Found the more issues than I can count with the assembly of my long block during the tear down. RTV on everything especially stuff that didnt call for it.

Lost a bolt, and instead of calling me/ telling me replaced it with a wrong sized bolt and a flat washer. Probably a source of the oil leak that destroyed the engine.
Old December 21st   #13
Natedog
Natedog

So how about a full write up? A story of this oil leak? I'm not trying to take sides, it's just your post is kinda short and doesn't tell anything other than they used more RTV than you would, and there was an oil leak, that may or may not have cause your engine to blow...
Old December 22nd   #14
nomad
nomad
has no status.

I used Mitchell Racing for my G54B (starion engine). Nice guy.
He did the machine work and I assembled it.
1985.5 Starion ESI R52- awaiting rebuild
1988 Conquest RO4 auto- parts car
1983 Starion- Given away
1988 Starion- sold
1986 Conquest- sold in 1999
2012 F150 5.0L 360hp- Daily driver
2004 Escalade 6.0L AWD 425HP- sold
1994 ZX6 ninja- Garage decoration
2012 Altima 2.5S- wifemobile

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l.../engage3-1.jpg
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th   #15
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

They used the wrong bolt on the lower left corner of the front case, was cross threaded, incorrectly sized bolt with a flat washer, and RTV was on every gasket except the oil pan gasket. Pretty sure the oil pan is the only place that even calls for RTV in the shop manual. Most of the oil that had leaked was from the from lower left corner of the engine.

Now it would not have caused a blown engine had the person owning the car at the time noticed it, or been checking the oil and noticed it was running low. Now I've seen the guy's work and he is great if your running a Ford or Chevy v-8. But I just wouldn't trust him to treat anything besides a v-8 seriously anymore. Now I could half ass it and slap together a long block in my garage in 2 hours but I didn't have time for that and payed the man a couple hundred bucks to do the entire engine assy. You would think 1- the would be following a shop manual or some sort, 2) the would be able to get a proper gasket seal without using rtv on everything, 3) they would call and tell me "Hey dude you forgot a bolt for your front case, or we lost it or something, mind finding the correct sized bolt for us?".

Last edited by Tanro; December 26th at 01:52 PM.
Old December 26th   #16
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Just wanted to add customer service was great, but I won't use that guy for anything but domestic v-8s in the future.