Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old May 11th   #1
Bmanxer
Bmanxer
needs to cut some fenders to lay his baby out!

Project: UCMPNS8 ***NOT 56K friendly***

Hello everyone. Been about a month since I've been on here. I've been STUPID busy with a wedding, moving my wife into my house, the storm disaster and helping clean up, and working on my truck. With that said, I've been working on installing an air suspension on my truck. It's been many years in the making and finally coming to fruition.

The Club: Do It Big Motorsports Alabama Chapter http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...79819912056199

The Truck:
1991 Chevrolet S-10
2.8 Liter V6
2WD

The Pictures:

This pin had to be removed...sucked BTW

Bed is nowhere near finished, don't get the idea I'm leaving it this way

Getting the gas tank fitted in properly...THIS SUCKED!

Removing the control arms to cut out the spring pockets to fit the RE-7's in.

That's where the progress stops for now. Hope you all enjoy. If you want, you can check out my club's FB page to get a LOT more pics. Give us a like while you're there if you like what you see! Thanks.
"I don't care how many times I've heard "I'm done," no one is ever done. You are in this for life. Come girlfriends, wives, kids, or even unemployment, your heart will always be in love with wheels. And so will the rest of us. We all share the same disease."
"Wise men aren't really wise--they've just been around long enough to see everything!"
Bmanxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I was wondering where you went, lol. Awesome work! I didn't realize they make a lot of bolt-on parts for all this now. It's looks great! I spy some braided brake lines in that last pic. Reminds me I need to order some for the Accord since one is leaking.
Old May 11th   #3
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I was wondering where you went, lol. Awesome work! I didn't realize they make a lot of bolt-on parts for all this now. It's looks great! I spy some braided brake lines in that last pic. Reminds me I need to order some for the Accord since one is leaking.
Lol, been busy dude. Moreso that I ever have been in my life. I bought the bolt on stuff years ago because I had no place to learn welding. Since I've got the house and the garage I've purchased a welder and have been going to town. It's not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be and I'm making some pretty nice welds considering the amount of time I've been doing it. Yes, those are braided lines, Russell makes them. They are worth every freaking penny dude. My dime stops on a dime The extra braking power is astounding!
"I don't care how many times I've heard "I'm done," no one is ever done. You are in this for life. Come girlfriends, wives, kids, or even unemployment, your heart will always be in love with wheels. And so will the rest of us. We all share the same disease."
"Wise men aren't really wise--they've just been around long enough to see everything!"
Old May 11th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Welcome to the world of balance, lol. House, wife, truck, job, etc. So many things, so little time. Just find the balance point and re-adjust as necessary.
Old May 12th   #5
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
Welcome to the world of balance, lol. House, wife, truck, job, etc. So many things, so little time. Just find the balance point and re-adjust as necessary.
It ain't easy brother, I've found that out for sure.
Old May 12th   #6
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Here's progress for today:

Had to cut the humps off of the lower control arms and weld a plate over them to allow the front to air all the way out.
Old May 12th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmanxer View Post
It ain't easy brother, I've found that out for sure.
But I know you can do it. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one that can't, lol.
Old May 12th   #8
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
But I know you can do it. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one that can't, lol.
Because you're trying to conquer the ENTIRE world dude. You aren't satisfied with a few continents, you want the whole damn planet! I'm satisfied with conquering my almost overwhelming desire to not wake up and go to work everyday.
Old May 13th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Because you're trying to conquer the ENTIRE world dude. You aren't satisfied with a few continents, you want the whole damn planet!
So I'm a bit ambitious.
Old May 13th   #10
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
So I'm a bit ambitious.
Just a little bit
Old May 13th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Just a little bit
I can't help it. I can't just leave something alone that I know can be made better. Probably why I like modding my cars.
Old May 13th   #12
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Update: Finished de-humping and plating the driver's side control arm.

Old May 13th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Does someone not just make replacement control arms? I'd be a bit concerned of modifying something that contributes to the overall safety of the suspension.
Old May 14th   #14
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
Does someone not just make replacement control arms? I'd be a bit concerned of modifying something that contributes to the overall safety of the suspension.
They do, but at just shy of $1000 for a pair, I think I'll give this a try. Tons of people run this setup without problems. That's the reason for plating over the humps rather than just leaving them open. I'm also welding both sides of the plate to make sure it's secure. Now I just need a sandblaster...
Old May 14th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
They do, but at just shy of $1000 for a pair, I think I'll give this a try. Tons of people run this setup without problems. That's the reason for plating over the humps rather than just leaving them open. I'm also welding both sides of the plate to make sure it's secure. Now I just need a sandblaster...
Wow, that's definitely a chunk of change. Yeah, your welds look really good on both sides, so it should be quite solid. As far as sandblasting, talk to Jesse at It's Not Paint. Tell him Samir referred you.
Old May 15th   #16
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
Wow, that's definitely a chunk of change. Yeah, your welds look really good on both sides, so it should be quite solid. As far as sandblasting, talk to Jesse at It's Not Paint. Tell him Samir referred you.
Thanks man, my welds are solid, just not perfectly "pretty" yet. It's penetrating properly and making a good bond. It's hard to make a perfectly formed bead any distance greater than 4" without taking a little break and going at it again. The wife thinks it's cool as hell, and had me fix a metal chair that's been in her family for 4 generations and she reupholstered and painted it, looks good now!

Is that a hookup I smell? I like hookups Haha, thanks brother.
Old May 15th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

What a lot of people don't realize is how much of an artform welding truly is. But the paintbrush for the artform is pretty expensive.

Helping out how I can. It'll be awesome to see the truck when it's done.
Old May 15th   #18
SLOBACK
SLOBACK
passing the torch to my girlfriend?!

nice work!
Old May 17th   #19
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
What a lot of people don't realize is how much of an artform welding truly is. But the paintbrush for the artform is pretty expensive.

Helping out how I can. It'll be awesome to see the truck when it's done.
Hell yeah man. My neighbor Harold recommended Jesse to me also, and I thought to myself "ok, if two people that don't know one another are telling me about this guy, then I've gotta give him a call." Harold gave me the number and I called him up and he gave me a damn good price for the sandblasting and powdercoating so I'll be dropping off all the parts today to get done up.

Is it creepy that I actually had a dream about driving my truck and playing with the switches the other night?
Old May 17th   #20
Bmanxer
Bmanxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOBACK View Post
nice work!
Thanks Sloback! It's been tough man, but I'm almost to the finish line.