Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Show and Shine

Show and Shine Post pictures, videos, and other stuff to look at

Old January 26th   #21
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Finally getting my engine back today. Gonna have to go get it in the RX-7 I think. My buddy has a hole in radiator of his truck. And I have not been able to track down anyone else with a truck on short notice.

Looks like the hatch is coming off the RX-7 and I am going to get it in that. Should be fun, will update with pics.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th   #22
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

That sucks about your buddy's truck. If he needs a radiator, let me know. I still have vendor connections for wholesale pricing.
Old January 26th   #23
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

He is broke atm. Probably gonna have it patched until he can get one from a junkyard. Its not like there are not 8,912 s-10s, blazers, jimmys, and sonomas on junkyards around here. Also the radiator might still be under warranty. He just had some work done a few weeks ago.
Old January 26th   #24
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Loaded at Kieth Watt's shop.

Arrived at my shop

Its at the perfect height for me to wrench on it. So it will sit here while it gets some manifolds and a timing belt. As well as new cam shaft seals. New one is on the exhaust. Compressing the tensioner slowly as well. More work after dinner
Old January 26th   #25
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
He is broke atm. Probably gonna have it patched until he can get one from a junkyard. Its not like there are not 8,912 s-10s, blazers, jimmys, and sonomas on junkyards around here. Also the radiator might still be under warranty. He just had some work done a few weeks ago.
If he's had work done on it recently, I'd take it back to them if they can solder the reeds with damage and pressure test the core. Otherwise, I wouldn't even look at a junkyard radiator. The rubber seals in the plastic tanks will have dried up and the plastic might have deteriorated too making them susceptible to cracking. The s10 was one of my top sellers. I believe it's a DPI# 1826, but don't quote me.

rx7 pickup truck to the rescue! How long will it take to fully assemble it?
Old January 27th   #26
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

For want of a roller rocker its done. I just need one roller rocker and I could be done inside of an hour.

I've just got to put the cam gears, t-belt, water pump pullies, and harmonic balancer back on now. As well as the transmission and drop her in. T-Belt should take 10-15 minutes. And then the other stuff is no big deal.
Old January 28th   #27
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's so easy to work on the hard stuff on an engine when the engine is outside the car. Too bad that one roller rocker decided to walk off.
Old January 28th   #28
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Well I found a method for changing camshafts without taking off the t-belt. So I decide I will use that method to put the new rocker I ordered from bill penny in. Engine is 99.1% assembled. Just need that single roller.

Will be dropping the engine back in tomorrow. Roller rocker should be here monday. Car should be ready to go monday evening/tuesday sometime. Can't wait.
Old January 30th   #29
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Here is what I got done saturday. Didn't work on it yesterday. Heading to Huntsville later to get my roller rocker so I can finish up.

Still Need to mount the fuse box and distributor block for my hot wires somewhere.
Still need to open air calibrate the Wideband sensor, and the install the downpipe.
Still need to mount the LC-1 controller
Still need to install the radiator, hoses, and inter cooler pipes.
And of course install the roller rocker, and fill er up with fluids. Then I should be set. Figure It should take me another 2 hours of wrenching to finish.
Old January 30th   #30
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

That's awesome! And you've got a full 10 days to shake out any bugs before the meet.
Old January 30th   #31
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Yep, just got back from huntsville. I am about to start wrenching. Hopefully it all goes well.
Old January 30th   #32
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Good luck! I found the source of my coolant leak, so hopefully all will go silky smooth.
Old January 30th   #33
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Well it did and didn't. Filling the trans oil is allways a pain, and that stuff stinks to high heaven, so I hate messing with it anytime. And for some reason my wide-band will not is not getting enough voltage.

So I stuck the stocker back in the front o2 location and will be getting a straight pipe made so I can put the wbo2 in the rear o2 sensor location.

And some how my radiator stopcock walked off. I allways leave them in the radiator as opposed to taking them completly out. So I gotta get one tomorrow. Still need to bolt up the suspension and install the wheels and hood. And of course fill the coolant.
Old January 30th   #34
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

That radiator stop will be tough to find. I know we'd have people ask me that all the time when I was selling the things and we couldn't even get them from the manufacturer. Plus, different manufacturers use different ones. The only place that I can think of that might have one is David's Radiator in Huntsville.
Old January 30th   #35
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Really? O'reillys and Advance Auto in Arab both have them in stock. I thought about going to get one tonight but decide that I would rather eat dinner.

Anyways, I am about 97% done. Just need the stopcock, and to fill the coolant. And then its time for a hood and wheels.

I rather like my Local O'Reilly. I know two of the guys that work there rather well. One of them is an old friend from high school, and the other is another friend's little brother. Managed to get them to talk the store manager into stocking my plug wires and a few other things so I don't have to wait 2-3 days on them anymore.

Last edited by Tanro; January 30th at 11:02 PM.
Old January 30th   #36
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
Really? O'reillys and Advance Auto in Arab both have them in stock. I thought about going to get one tonight but decide that I would rather eat dinner.
Wow, things have changed since 2008. We'd have at least one person a week come in looking for one, and we'd tell them to check out the parts stores and they would always say, 'they sent me here'. I'm glad someone started stocking these. I know of at least one case where someone bought a new radiator to just use the drainplug.
Old January 30th   #37
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I've never had an issue getting them. Wierd.
Old January 30th   #38
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Must have been a Huntsville thing. Glad to see that the demand has been filled.
Old February 6th   #39
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

1g N/T throttle body with the elbow I hate fabricated.

Here is the mockup. I need to get shorter bolts for this throttle body. But its on there for now.
Old February 20th   #40
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Well I got my new AEM UEGO installed. Didnt like the LC-1 so I traded it. Also installed a new cluster, this one isn't painted. And it has a working speedo.

Then I decided to redo the spoiler holes. You could see 2 of them, and feel most of the rest. So I started buy shaving/sanding off the old bondo. And the filling the holes, then waiting until it was semi hard and shaving off the excess bondo with a straight razor. Gonna let that harden and then put on a feather coat.

Then I dropped my rear end so I can paint it.

I am either gonna order some color matched paint from O'Reillys, or go with plastidip from dipyourcar.com. Not sure yet.

I need to bondo up a gouge in the rear bumper tomorrow. And then decide what paint I am gonna go with.