Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Ardmore Car Show
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

August 13th 10:00 AM to 03:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: John Barnes Park, 30510 Ardmore Ridge Rd, Ardmore, TN 38449
Contact: Rodney 205-908-2677, Sandy 256-656-3413, www.aqbc.net

Per a text from Rodney, the show is on for this weekend, August 13th!

From the flyer:

Registration is $25 or $20 before August 3, 2011. The pre-registration deadline has been extended from the original date. Pre-registratants receive a souvenir cap, a dash plaque, 1 ticket for door prizes, and 3 chances on the 1966 Impala Sedan Delivery and cash grand prizes. Registratants will receive a dash plaque, 1 ticket for door prizes, and 1 chances on the 1966 Impala Sedan Delivery and cash grand prizes. Registration ends at noon on the day of the show.

There will be 7 grand prize drawings including a 1966 Impala Sedan Delivery, a Snap-On rolling tool box valued at $4200, cash prizes of $1500, $1000, and $500 as well as a $50 cash drawing every 10 minutes. There's also a 50/50 drawing that will be in the thousands, and a drawing for a pinstripe job by "Browder" at 10:15am.

There's also awards all done by participant judging for the following classes:
  • Pre-1948 Cars
  • Pre-1948 Trucks
  • 1949-1959 Cars
  • 1949-1959 Trucks
  • 1960-1979 Cars
  • 1960-1979 Trucks
  • 1980-1995 Cars
  • 1980-1995 Trucks
  • 1996-2011 Cars
  • 1996-2011 Trucks
Top 5 in each class and a Best of Class. There are also corporate sponsor's picks awards

But the show doesn't stop with all the prizes and awards, there's live music by Kosmic Mama as well as tons of food, drinks, and vendors.

This is by far the largest event in our area. You don't want to miss it. Come early, stay hydrated and enjoy the literally hundreds of cars that will be everywhere.

Rain date is September 3, 2011.

From Rodney:

"Just a reminder folks. I understand that the preentry deadline is set at July 13th but we are extended it to Aug 6th for those who have just gotten access to the flyer. We apologize for running late this year but real life gets in the way at times. I am pretty sure we all have those times.

We were hoping to get the car out for everyone to see this past weekend but we are having to replace the AC compressor and Heater blower. Funny how things work when you take stuff off but doesn't when you paint it and put it back on. As for the car, it runs greats, stops great, looks cool. We have striped it up (Browder) to honor one Ardmore's Hot Rodding icons. Hoarce Elliott is a big impala guy and ran a Plumbing service in Ardmore for decades. We did a little tribute to him on the scheme and he does not know it yet. It will probably make him cry when he sees it. He got many of us into hot rodding and ole cars that run out of Ardmore up here.

Still looking good for the show though, Samir is right please stay hydrated, it will be hot as it always is but it well still have some fun.

We are trying to get Samir to do a little dancing with the stars that day with Kosmic Mama. We may need some HCS members here to talk him into it.

If any one has any issues or questions do not hesitate to call me @ 205.908.2677: Rodney Willoughby."

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

As I woke extra early to go to Ardmore, I knew I had the biggest challenge of the year in front of me. With pre-registrations up from 300 last year and an average pre-registration:registered ratio of 3:1, there would be over 1000 cars this year. Spending an average of just 10 seconds with a car means it would take 10,000 seconds to get to all the cars, and with 3600 seconds in an hour, that's 3 hours right there.

For covering events of this magnitude, you have to be truly ready--cameras, memory cards, hydration, food, and in good health. You're almost literally running for over 3 hours non-stop in the heat, which luckily felt about 20 degrees cooler than last year. And clouds overhead also helped the lighting, making it almost idea car photo weather for most of the day.

It's also great to have help, which I was fortunate to have. And it was great help too. Tim (intenseconcepts) joined me Friday when I checked out the field and the pre-registered cars, and then Chris (cLc) joined us on Satruday. They were both really good with my Panasonic cameras while I manned the Sony. Without their help and energy, getting a single photo of each car at this show would have been brutal on me. Thank you so much guys!

As I drove up Highway 53 from Huntsville, there was a time when traffic slowed to about 45mph. I peeked ahead to catch the glimpse of something bright green. I knew it was a car coming to the show. And right behind it was a beautiful classic black Thunderbird. So I got my camera ready, and was planning to take a picture while I passed each car. But they pulled off to allow the other traffic to pass. But I still got a shot of them as I passed by. And all the hassle was worth it for the couple driving those cars--they won the $1500 cash drawing.

Several of the companies that support Huntsville Car Scene were at the swap meet. Bowtie Supply, CBI Performance, and EB Liquidprint all had booths:

A lot of local clubs came out to the show too--North Alabama Volkswagon Club, Vets with Vettes, Rocket City Camaros, Rocket City Mustang Club, Limestone County Mustang Club, and the North Alabama Cobra Club.

One of the newest things to the show this year was 1/64 scale drag racing for the kids. And this went over very well as the kids raced all day, and even had their own trophy.

As I took pictures on the show field, I noticed several cars from Ford that had my father's work in them. He was a mechanical engineer for Ford in the late 1970s, and designed the steering and some front suspension for the Lincolns and Zephyrs. And this car made me stand completely still as it struck me with nostalgia. The front of this Lincoln was almost identical to the 1977 Mercury Monarch that was our family car for so many years. It even had the same front bumper with the skinner rubber strips.

The giveaway car this year was created to commemorate Horace Elliott. Horace has been a great influence on the car enthusiasts in Ardmore, many who are enthusiasts today because of him, and have founded this great show. Horace suffers from Parkinson's, but his enthusiasm and wit is as alive as ever. In my conversations with him, Horace talked about having an 'old geezers's club' for those like himself that are still in the hobby, lol.

Friday evening before the show, Horace poses with the giveaway car that bears his name

Horace and Rodney admiring the car Friday night

Friday night was also an interesting night after I left the park. Within two minutes of leaving the park, I found a Passat 4motion W8, as well as what looks to be Ardmore's version of the General Lee:

Ardmore's General Lee

Several Huntsville Car Scene members and visitors won Top 5 awards or Best in Class awards. Congratulations to everyone!

John from the Knuckleheads won yet another award, this time taking Brad Stovall's Choice.

And our very own Special Angel won the giveaway car! What a day for her, winning both a Top 5 trophy and a car.

I've always wondered why Special Angel looked so familiar to me. And today it hit me--she looks just like my aunt.

And speaking of giveaway cars, last years was present this year--as a car in the show.

As the show grounds cleared, they became as empty and full of endless green grass as I saw them just a day ago . You'd never know the largest car show in North Alabama is held here.

I want to thank the staff of the show and especially Rodney (LastChance) and Sandy for showing us such great hospitality and accommodating us. You guys made this event coverage possible. And Happy Birthday Rodney!

Here's a few pictures of Rodney and Sandy in action and receiving their well deserved honorary plaques:

Rodney working hard at the show

Sandy and Rodney receiving their awards

Rodney would barely stand still long enough to get his picture taken. Sandy was even quicker and was already back to work.

Rodney and Horace being silly in front of the camera

I think everyone agrees that this is one of the best shows in the area. But if you don't, let Rodney know. They have a 'Lessons learned' meeting after each year's show to try to make the best even better. See everyone next year!
34 members will be attending this event:

Old July 10th   #21
200sxsermatt
200sxsermatt
shift denied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
survive yes... thrive..............not so sure about
lol
200sxsermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th   #22
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Yeah, my ancestry has me geared for the heat (Norteast India), and I still get heat exhaustion the day of this show.

Saturday was brutal to me. I slept for 12hrs and was still not recovered.
Old July 11th   #23
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkier View Post
Got the Ardmore flyer in the mail. $25 for entry.

Spectators $5 per person or $15 per family.

10 classes:
1 & 2 ... pre - 48 Cars / Trucks
3 & 4 ... 49 - 59 Cars / Trucks
5 & 6 ... 60 - 79 Cars / Trucks
7 & 8 ... 80 - 95 Cars / Trucks
9 & 10 .. 96 - 11 Cars / Trucks

Top 5 by class and best of class for each.
Judging by contestants

Corportate Sponsors Picks

Rain date is sept 3rd

Flyer here ... just can't download it ?
http://www.aqbc.net/carshow.html
Thank you for the update! I'm working on getting the flyer online as I type...
Old July 11th   #24
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Yeah, my ancestry has me geared for the heat (Norteast India), and I still get heat exhaustion the day of this show.

Saturday was brutal to me. I slept for 12hrs and was still not recovered.
you were drunk when i left you? what gives
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th   #25
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
you were drunk when i left you? what gives
Might as well have been, lol. I went home to my parents place but we went to Pizza Hut beforehand--bad move on my part. Half a large pan super supreme pizza doesn't cure heat exhaustion. Nor does watching tv afterwards. About 10pm, I went to sleep. 12hrs later I awoke and was still in pain.

But I had to get moving since Sunday was almost as busy as Saturday. I didn't get home until 11:30p on Sunday. And then there were setting up all the uploads, so I slept at 1-something...
Old July 11th   #26
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
I know I called you it was after 1 this morning lol.
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th   #27
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Yeah, it took forever to queue the files for upload. But after that I fell asleep calculating how long it should take to finish--15Mbps/8bits per byte=1.875MB/sec. 10000MB/1.875MB/sec=5333secs/60sec/min=89mins. Wow, it took me almost that long to set up the upload. I wish Smugmug would just implement FTP so I can get to sleep earlier...
Old July 11th   #28
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Might as well have been, lol. I went home to my parents place but we went to Pizza Hut beforehand--bad move on my part. Half a large pan super supreme pizza doesn't cure heat exhaustion. Nor does watching tv afterwards. About 10pm, I went to sleep. 12hrs later I awoke and was still in pain.

But I had to get moving since Sunday was almost as busy as Saturday. I didn't get home until 11:30p on Sunday. And then there were setting up all the uploads, so I slept at 1-something...
IF
dude if your in decatur,you have got to go to alphonso pizza. its the same recipes the the OLD terry's used back in the day. sorry off topic this is a car forum
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th   #29
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Food is always on my mind. As I'm sure it is for many of us here.
Old July 11th   #30
200sxsermatt
200sxsermatt
shift denied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
I don't think I'm going to enter this year. It was just WAY to hot last year. I'll prolly still ride up.
AMEN!
200sxsermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th   #31
LastChance
LastChance

Just a reminder folks. I understand that the preentry deadline is set at July 13th but we are extended it to Aug 6th for those who have just gotten access to the flyer. We apologize for running late this year but real life gets in the way at times. I am pretty sure we all have those times.

We were hoping to get the car out for everyone to see this past weekend but we are having to replace the AC compressor and Heater blower. Funny how things work when you take stuff off but doesn't when you paint it and put it back on. As for the car, it runs greats, stops great, looks cool. We have striped it up (Browder) to honor one Ardmore's Hot Rodding icons. Hoarce Elliott is a big impala guy and ran a Plumbing service in Ardmore for decades. We did a little tribute to him on the scheme and he does not know it yet. It will probably make him cry when he sees it. He got many of us into hot rodding and ole cars that run out of Ardmore up here.

Still looking good for the show though, Samir is right please stay hydrated, it will be hot as it always is but it well still have some fun.

We are trying to get Samir to do a little dancing with the stars that day with Kosmic Mama. We may need some HCS members here to talk him into it.

If any one has any issues or questions do not hesitate to call me @ 205.908.2677: Rodney Willoughby.
LastChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th   #32
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChance View Post
Just a reminder folks. I understand that the preentry deadline is set at July 13th but we are extended it to Aug 6th for those who have just gotten access to the flyer. We apologize for running late this year but real life gets in the way at times. I am pretty sure we all have those times.

If any one has any issues or questions do not hesitate to call me @ 205.908.2677: Rodney Willoughby.
Thank you for the update Rodney. I was wondering how many were going to make that pre-registration date. I've updated the event listing

If I'm done taking photos of the hundreds of cars that will be there, and have any energy left, I'm up for dancing. You just have to convince all the prettiest girls at the car show to join me on stage.
Old July 23rd   #33
LastChance
LastChance

Guys and gals,
I made an error on the extended pre-entry deadline it is atcually the 3rd of August and not the 6th of august. There is plenty of time to pre enter at a lower cost and increase your chances to win a car, snap-on tool box (a big one), 1500, 1000, or 500. Now only car participants only will have the opportunity to win the prizes and door prizes. Spectators are not allow to buy chances on the car show peoples stuff. They can however get in on the 50/50 drawing, which was over 2600 dollars given to the lucky winner last year. Not too bad.

Thanks

Rodney
Old July 23rd   #34
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

Thank you for the correction Rodney! I've updated the event listing with the correct date.
Old July 23rd   #35
slowjoe24
slowjoe24
.......what do you want to talk about??
Huntsville Car Scene Staff Writer

Looking forward to this one again!!!
slowjoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th   #36
LastChance
LastChance

Pre-entries are up this year. So everyone coming try to get there early and get some shade. Also we will let people park their vehicles on Friday night if they want to. We do have park security and I will be there armed. Last year we had people coming in on thursday night parking cars. I would say we had about 75 vehicles there before Sat. morning. A special thanks to all that pre-entered. Just park and go to the registration eretent day of show and get your goodie bag, plaque, hat, and extra tickets for the prizes. Thanks everybody and I hope to see everyone. I will keep everyone updated on here in case there are any weather issues. Have a safe weekend and get out this weekend drive them things.

Oh, I am heading to Guntersville, Snead, and then making the Athens cruise in later that evening, that should be my last flyerhanding out mission. A special shout to Bland Allen for helping us out getting some flyers to the masses example Hendersonville TN, Mt Juliet, Cleveland, TN, and Gasden AL. Thanks for the help, next year I might pay you. LOL
Old August 5th   #37
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

keep this active .. this is one show not to miss
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th   #38
Samir
Samir
is in mourning
Administrator

I'll be there Friday night! And then stay at my parents house in Athens and get up early to hit the show...solo this year.
Old August 8th   #39
BLACKIE66
BLACKIE66
has no status.

Ardmore show

Be nice for all too run up togather said at 730 am
BLACKIE66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th   #40
LastChance
LastChance

Whew thunderstorms and an tpost driver not good. Rain and storms missed us at the park was raining on the Alabama side which is about 1000 ft from us. Thank the good lord for blocking out the sun a bit . It has been a hot one. We are still on go, if anyone did not get a chance to pre-enter you can still do so but you would have to bring it to Ardmore and give it to us. The ladies are doing the last of them tomorrow night. I will be at the park tonight and all day tomorrow. So any last minute people, you still got time.

Thanks, if anyone has any questions, you can contact me at 205.908.2677. Rodney

Drive em