Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Site Related Discussions

Site Related Discussions Have an idea to make the site better? Having problems? Look in here

View Poll Results: How Much Have You Spent on Your Special Vehicle(s)?
0-$5,000 45 17.05%
$5,000-$10,000 41 15.53%
$10,000-$20,000 61 23.11%
$20,000-$30,000 34 12.88%
$30,000-$40,000 27 10.23%
$40,000-$50,000 13 4.92%
$50,000+ 43 16.29%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 2nd   #121
DreDay256
DreDay256
is doing stereo upgrades..

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cryer View Post
I'm still wanting to see all of the cars on here that has over 50k invested.
Where you located bro? My car sees pavement daily. I'll be glad to let you check utility out & give you a demo of the system too.

Bagged '06 Dodge Magnum R/T "WICKED WAYS"
-4 Fi SP4 18's (4th Order), 2 Fi SSD 10's (midbass), 4 Diamond Audio D6 Comp Sets, 1pr. Crescendo FT-1 SuperTweets
-Dual Alts -6 XS Power Batts
-4 Crescendo BC3500d's (subs), 1 Crescendo BC2000d (10's), 1 Crescendo c1100.4 (comps)
DreDay256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd   #122
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
I made sure to ask if that is extras in the car, or the cost of the car, + what you have spent on it. I haven't spent 50k EXTRA on the car no, but from my understanding it's car+extras=poll above. Money on a car doesn't mean everything. It's like a male part measuring contest basically. Or a dyno graph.
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd   #123
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreDay256 View Post
Where you located bro? My car sees pavement daily. I'll be glad to let you check utility out & give you a demo of the system too.
I'm in hartselle bro and I'm not doubting anyone's car. I just rarely see many cars that I would spend over 50k on. That was my point.
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd   #124
DreDay256
DreDay256

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
I made sure to ask if that is extras in the car, or the cost of the car, + what you have spent on it. I haven't spent 50k EXTRA on the car no, but from my understanding it's car+extras=poll above. Money on a car doesn't mean everything. It's like a male part measuring contest basically. Or a dyno graph.
Im not one to include the price of the car w/ that figure.

Quote:
I'm in hartselle bro and I'm not doubting anyone's car. I just rarely see many cars that I would spend over 50k on. That was my point.
Hartselle is a lil far. lol. I knew what you meant. I just didnt mind showing you mine so you could see one in that range. I'd say mine is about 40k.

-4 Fi SP4 18's (4th Order), 2 Fi SSD 10's (midbass), 4 Diamond Audio D6 Comp Sets, 1pr. Crescendo FT-1 SuperTweets
-4 Crescendo BC3500d's (subs), 1 Crescendo BC2000d (10's), 1 Crescendo c1100.4 (comps)
Old December 3rd   #125
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
I've seen a few $10k+ builds from The Speakerbox alone.

In addition, we have worked on and seen some of the resto mod type cars locally that easily have $100k+ invested. I drove one of these on my wedding day.

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV

Last edited by Beckham; December 3rd at 12:41 PM.
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd   #126
DreDay256
DreDay256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
I've seen a few $10k+ builds from The Speakerbox alone.

In addition, we have worked on and seen some of the resto mod type cars locally that easily have $100k+ invested. I drove one of these on my wedding day.
Yea. My system was over 10k alone.

Old December 3rd   #127
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Everything you just listed still has you in the 15k range & thats including an engine rebuild that alot of people dont do if they dont HAVE to. When people say their in the 30k range, their full of it. Unless it a ground up restoration. If your putting 3k in an interior, you must be doing gator throughout b/c outta 6 full interiors I've had done, I've never had a bill near 3k. You might wanna get to know some locals.. ijs.
For an example, I went to an upholstry shop on Oakwood (forgot the name & they didnt have a visable sign) to check the price on JUST 2 front seats. They told me 1000.00 & I ALREADY HAD THE MATERIAL! I just gave them a blank stare & turned around. Needless to say, I got the seats done for 1/4 of that & they look awesome.
I have 10k in just my paint, but thats rare for our area & the most I've ever spent on paint. Normally I stay in the 3-4k range for paint.
There's several $100k cars in the area. Plus, if you have multiple cars, you add them up.
Old December 3rd   #128
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Lol. Well none of mine have been rust buckets that need extensive body work. As we know, body work will run that bill up quick.
I understand you thinking of revisiting some shops but honestly, their probably gonna be about the same as they were before. Sounds like you need to look at different shops/ people. Gotta look off the beaten trail. Like my interior guy works at Rod's but does his own work on the side. A lot of times its who you know, sadly.. lol.

If you'd like me to get you in touch w/ my interior guy, just let m know. He does great work.
The problem with the side-work is that a lot of times it doesn't either meet the quality or timeliness that's required. It's the old adage--you can have it cheap, right, or quick--pick two.
Old December 3rd   #129
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Lol. No. I didn't misunderstand & I don't know if your car/ truck is a rust bucket. I've never seen it.
Going off the beaten path has built some of the baddest rides on the planet. For example- My guy does the upholtry at Rods. So why pay Rods the higher shop rate for the exact same guy to do the work that you could pay him directly for 1/2 or less than Rods shop rate? That's just not a good money decision lmao.
Too, I'm not a hot rodder & I'm not into paying 3x's what somethings worth just to say a shop did it. Nor am I into taking 10+ yrs to build a single ride. Your ride & your choice man..
A couple of reasons are warranty and accountability. It's very hard for a high-profile company to just run a hide when a job gets behind or over budget. I've heard too many stories of individuals doing that.
Old December 3rd   #130
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Lol. Ask Mr. Dont-Cut-Corners...
Old December 3rd   #131
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I was joking. Thus the "lol,"

Restos are usually money pits. Been there several times & vowed never again.
Hot Rods spend an ass load on work. Its immaculate when finished but takes 3 generations to complete. What fun is that? Prime example is my neighbor. He started a yr before me doing a Baracuta. Frame off resto. In 2 yrs Ive completed full custom paint w/ murals, painted wheels, custom interior w/ fiberglassing & airbrush, bagged w/ full digital controls and what many say is the loudest daily system in N. Alabama. Now I just laugh when I lift my car to ride off & look at him still cleaning his firewall & searching for rare interior pieces. lmao.

So, like I originally said, yea these 2 can definitely sink that much into a ride. But for what, I dont know. The forever builds werent for me. I wanna get it built & enjoy it. If Im putting that much into a ride Im gonna make people say "DAMN!" Not just, "Thats real nice.."
Let's watch the language and keep things civil. We're all enthusiasts here.

I can see where the 'forever builds' aren't for everyone. But for some, that's actually the part they enjoy. Different strokes for different folks. And it's all good.
Old December 3rd   #132
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I'm one of the 50k+. I spent $125k a couple of years ago on 3 cars. It's not that hard to do. A brand new BMW 5 series is over $50k now.
Old December 3rd   #133
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Now, that I agree, especially in this economy. A lot of local cars are selling for 50% of what was spent on them.
Old December 3rd   #134
DreDay256
DreDay256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
There's several $100k cars in the area. Plus, if you have multiple cars, you add them up.
Thats cheating lol

Old December 3rd   #135
DreDay256
DreDay256

Quote:
The problem with the side-work is that a lot of times it doesn't either meet the quality or timeliness that's required. It's the old adage--you can have it cheap, right, or quick--pick two.
I can agree w/ this. I can say it did take a little longer than I wouldve liked but not enough to justify 2k more being spent.

Quote:
A couple of reasons are warranty and accountability. It's very hard for a high-profile company to just run a hide when a job gets behind or over budget. I've heard too many stories of individuals doing that.
This can happen w/ a company as well. My first choice to do my paint was an actual shop on Jordan Ln. They totally screwed the paint up, didnt finish it & it sat untouched for like 4 mos. No joke. I would go by just about everyday or every other day & it was always a different excuse between the painter blaming the owner & the owner blaming the painter. I was seeing other peoples stuff come & go while mine sat untouched/ half done. And I even paid over 3k up front!
Needless to say, I showed up w/ a tow truck to get my car after I warned them multiple times that I was if I didnt see progress. I took it to a guy I work w/ who used to paint for another shop on Jordan that now paints on the side at his home. My car had to be fixed from the mess-ups the "shop" did & completed. He did it in a timely manner, given he works full time w/ me, and at a decent price.

Quote:
Let's watch the language and keep things civil. We're all enthusiasts here.

I can see where the 'forever builds' aren't for everyone. But for some, that's actually the part they enjoy. Different strokes for different folks. And it's all good.
I wasnt being mean, just voicing my opinion on the money pits & forever builds. You're right, some enjoy that endless search for a push switch thats just about non-exsistant. I've been there on 3 rides. Its not for me & I'll never do an old school or resto again. No fun when all it does is sit in my garage or shop somewhere. Thats just my outlook on that.

Old December 3rd   #136
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

Quote:
This can happen w/ a company as well. My first choice to do my paint was an actual shop on Jordan Ln.

Everyone knows you can't trust a body shop LOL. Really though, body shops are the absolute woooorst on deadlines and meeting quality, regardless of reputation.

Oh, and now harm or foul on all of this. It's all dependent on the builder and what he/she chooses to do with their money. Let's get together and shoot the magnum sometime.

Last edited by GrantH; December 3rd at 03:27 PM.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th   #137
1JZPWRD
1JZPWRD
has no status.

I might have missed it but I think we need post some invoices up to show the real deal. May I start?
1992 Lexus SC400 also known as "Sleeper", 1JZ swap, BW S366, Built R154, ACT clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MINZ fuel pressure reugulator, AEM gauges, AEM V2 standalone, HKS slip on, HKS BOV, and much more...
1JZPWRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th   #138
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Thats cheating lol
lol
Quote:
I can agree w/ this. I can say it did take a little longer than I wouldve liked but not enough to justify 2k more being spent.
And that's the thing, for some the $2k would have been a bargain. Everyone has different circumstances in relation to time and money.
Quote:
This can happen w/ a company as well. My first choice to do my paint was an actual shop on Jordan Ln. They totally screwed the paint up, didnt finish it & it sat untouched for like 4 mos. No joke. I would go by just about everyday or every other day & it was always a different excuse between the painter blaming the owner & the owner blaming the painter. I was seeing other peoples stuff come & go while mine sat untouched/ half done. And I even paid over 3k up front!
Needless to say, I showed up w/ a tow truck to get my car after I warned them multiple times that I was if I didnt see progress. I took it to a guy I work w/ who used to paint for another shop on Jordan that now paints on the side at his home. My car had to be fixed from the mess-ups the "shop" did & completed. He did it in a timely manner, given he works full time w/ me, and at a decent price.
How terrible! But you had legal recourse and could have taken action against the shop. And because they have assets, you could have recovered your initial investment. Not necessarily the case with someone working on the side or as a hobby.
Quote:
I wasnt being mean, just voicing my opinion on the money pits & forever builds. You're right, some enjoy that endless search for a push switch thats just about non-exsistant. I've been there on 3 rides. Its not for me & I'll never do an old school or resto again. No fun when all it does is sit in my garage or shop somewhere. Thats just my outlook on that.
Yep, you're right that for some it's that which they love. I've seen people dump a car once they're done with it just to start on something new. I'm more like you--I'd like something to drive and enjoy. That's the fun part for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD View Post
I might have missed it but I think we need post some invoices up to show the real deal. May I start?
Hmmm...the only caveat to doing this would be that those invoices might have your name/address on them. Thoughts?
Old March 19th   #139
LowBoost
LowBoost
is upgrading his stock TT's to Twin GT28's!

Send a message via Skype™ to LowBoost
Marked 30k invested in restoration, mods, etc... Adding the price of the car nearly 60k...
LowBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th   #140
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBoost View Post
Marked 30k invested in restoration, mods, etc... Adding the price of the car nearly 60k...
Welcome to the club!
It's sometimes insane how much we spend, but also how much we enjoy the result.