Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old September 21st   #361
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruziness View Post
Me.
Email sent. I'll post as soon as I find out. I'm also getting another batch of white since the first one went quickly.
Old September 23rd   #362
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
Speaking of subtle and clean...have you seen that etched glass stuff Jack has? It looks absolutely killer
A very, very limited run of etched will be available. If you want a set I need to know if you're putting it inside or outside as that's the way they'll be made. Also, you'll need to place an order immediately as these will practically be one-offs!

And white is also now back in stock. Order here!
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/sh...9&postcount=27
Old September 23rd   #363
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

Any examples of the etched stuff. My white look great, but are starting to not stick on some of the "(V)"
Old September 23rd   #364
MadPSIentist
MadPSIentist
has ALL THE STATUS.

I should probably check this forum more often, haha. I am the aforementioned "Jack", the one cutting the vinyl. I'm glad folks are happy with the decals they've received so far, and if you have any specific trouble with them or suggestions for improvement please let me know, I'm always open to constructive feedback. I'd be doing more advertising on here but I'm still working on getting my LLC set up. Keep an eye out for it in the next few months.

A few comments on the etched glass vinyl:
1) The main thing to consider when deciding inside vs outside the glass is window tint. If you have dark tint I definitely recommend outside placement. It's a 3M film that is rated to last 5+ years even in outdoor applications, though it will last even longer on the inside. But I need to know one way or the other, because decals for inside the window have to be cut backward (so the adhesive is on the proper side).
2) As far as examples, both Samir and I have a few photos we could share, though a camera really can't capture the true look of this film. The effect is very dynamic. Even true ethed glass (which I also do) is notoriously difficult to photograph. In some lights, the vinyl will almost disappear, while other lighting angles bring out a subtle frosted look. The only real way to do it justice is to see it in person. The best comparison I can give would be to look at the actual etching on your car's windows. Most will have manufacturer information etched into one corner. My Huntsville Flat 4 decals are on my rear quarter windows, very close to the factory etching, and the match between the two is uncanny.

Look forward to seeing my work on everyone's rides, I just finished another big run for Samir

~Jack

Last edited by MadPSIentist; September 23rd at 09:15 PM.
MadPSIentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #365
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Welcome Jack!

So you've heard it from the man--inside or outside?

He can also do some special colors and runs of the decals if requested such as carbon fibre and brushed aluminum and more. And he can do much more than just cut HCS decals, so keep him in mind for other projects.

I've been thinking of a project for a sticker that says 'iFart' in the Apple font.
Old September 24th   #366
Cruziness
Cruziness
is as Cruziness does!

One set of frost in outside version please.

"what is da price of dat cereal bawx??" " What is da price, tell me now before I get angry!"- GroupX quote (google it, it's silly funny)
Old September 24th   #367
MadPSIentist
MadPSIentist
has ALL THE STATUS.

Here's a few samples of some of the materials I use.

First, the frosted glass. I took pics of my own Huntsville Flat 4 decal from multiple angles and distances in an attempt to show the way the light plays off it. Keep in mind that mine is installed on the inside of the window, on the outside of the glass there will be a slight visible edge, and the matte surface of the vinyl will stand out more when viewed at angles like these. Still, it's a nice effect.

And here are a couple samples of the chrome and brushed aluminum I use. The only downside to the brushed is that it's actually a foil film, so it doesn't stretch to curves. The chrome, on the other hand, does. The manufacturer actually wrapped an Audi R8 in it. Don't mind the misspelling on the chrome one, I was still experimenting with this new film and didn't have the cut depth quite right so some small sections got left out.

I especially like the brushed aluminum. Been wanting to try it for some Lotus-style film emblems. Here's a closeup.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Jack
Old September 24th   #368
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

Hey Jack, the only suggestion I can make is possibly going with a stronger glue. I've tried applying one and it wouldn't stick when pulling off the backing even after letting it set over night on the window. I know nothing about vinyl or if you can even go with stronger/weaker glue by choice or what...just my critique. The cut quality and all is awesome.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th   #369
MadPSIentist
MadPSIentist
has ALL THE STATUS.

Grant, thanks for the feedback. I hesitate to use stronger adhesive due to some folks wanting to put decals on painted parts. I actually cut a Subaru RA-R style grille pinstripe once that ended up lifting the paint off my friend's grille when he tried to reposition it. Most of the plain colors I use are Oracal outdoor permanent adhesive. I will make a couple of comments and sugggestions related to this though, so thanks for bringing it up.

First, I do use a fairly strong transfer tape (the clear portion you peel off). I've tried weaker tapes in the past and really just couldn't get good consistent results out of them. A few suggestions I can offer when installing the vinyl are to ensure you've smoothed down all portions of the vinyl design thoroughly, using something rigid, but non-marring. I typically use a squeegee or hard card, much like installing window tint. Another is to peel the tape at a diagonal to the design, doubling it back on itself and creating a hard rolled edge where it's peeling away. Take your time when pulling off the transfer tape, and watch the design closely.If any of the small parts (the dot, for example) are being particularly stubborn about staying on the surface, you can slide a toothpick between the vinyl and transfer tape to hold the piece in place and smooth it back down after it's clear of the transfer tape.

The second big tip is surface prep. The cleaner you can get the surface prior to installation, the better. On glass, I use 70% isopropyl alcohol and wipe it dry with a lint free cloth. For painted surfaces, I suggest a good wax/grease remover, or at minimum some clean water and dish soap.

Finally, temperature plays a big part in the adhesive being able to grab well. I wouldn't recommend attempting to install any vinyl below 60 degrees. If you really need to place a decal in cold weather, my advice would be to have the car in a garage, and use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm up both the surface and the decal first.

If anybody is having trouble, I'd be happy to install their HCS decal at the Speakerbox or Providence meets. I'd even be willing to do an informal demo on installation if there's interest.

Hope this helps and thanks again for the feedback!
~Jack

Last edited by MadPSIentist; September 24th at 08:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old September 25th   #370
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

It could have honestly beent he moisture in the air that killed it for me. The last Providence meet was incredibly damp and muggy. I'll have another go.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th   #371
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

In for a set of the etched glass that mouts on the inside of the window
Old September 25th   #372
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
One set of frost in outside version please.

"what is da price of dat cereal bawx??" " What is da price, tell me now before I get angry!"- GroupX quote (google it, it's silly funny)
We're working on the pricing since this one has a much higher (3-5x) material cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadPSIentist View Post
Here's a few samples of some of the materials I use.

First, the frosted glass. I took pics of my own Huntsville Flat 4 decal from multiple angles and distances in an attempt to show the way the light plays off it. Keep in mind that mine is installed on the inside of the window, on the outside of the glass there will be a slight visible edge, and the matte surface of the vinyl will stand out more when viewed at angles like these. Still, it's a nice effect.

And here are a couple samples of the chrome and brushed aluminum I use. The only downside to the brushed is that it's actually a foil film, so it doesn't stretch to curves. The chrome, on the other hand, does. The manufacturer actually wrapped an Audi R8 in it. Don't mind the misspelling on the chrome one, I was still experimenting with this new film and didn't have the cut depth quite right so some small sections got left out.

I especially like the brushed aluminum. Been wanting to try it for some Lotus-style film emblems. Here's a closeup.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Jack
I love the brushed aluminum as it looks very, very real. The chrome is really nice too. I've still got inventory of chrome right now though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
Hey Jack, the only suggestion I can make is possibly going with a stronger glue. I've tried applying one and it wouldn't stick when pulling off the backing even after letting it set over night on the window. I know nothing about vinyl or if you can even go with stronger/weaker glue by choice or what...just my critique. The cut quality and all is awesome.
Those weren't his product Grant, but the previous supplier. And this batch has been sitting around since 2005-2006, so it may be just the age of them more than anything else.
Quote:
Grant, thanks for the feedback. I hesitate to use stronger adhesive due to some folks wanting to put decals on painted parts. I actually cut a Subaru RA-R style grille pinstripe once that ended up lifting the paint off my friend's grille when he tried to reposition it. Most of the plain colors I use are Oracal outdoor permanent adhesive. I will make a couple of comments and sugggestions related to this though, so thanks for bringing it up.

First, I do use a fairly strong transfer tape (the clear portion you peel off). I've tried weaker tapes in the past and really just couldn't get good consistent results out of them. A few suggestions I can offer when installing the vinyl are to ensure you've smoothed down all portions of the vinyl design thoroughly, using something rigid, but non-marring. I typically use a squeegee or hard card, much like installing window tint. Another is to peel the tape at a diagonal to the design, doubling it back on itself and creating a hard rolled edge where it's peeling away. Take your time when pulling off the transfer tape, and watch the design closely.If any of the small parts (the dot, for example) are being particularly stubborn about staying on the surface, you can slide a toothpick between the vinyl and transfer tape to hold the piece in place and smooth it back down after it's clear of the transfer tape.

The second big tip is surface prep. The cleaner you can get the surface prior to installation, the better. On glass, I use 70% isopropyl alcohol and wipe it dry with a lint free cloth. For painted surfaces, I suggest a good wax/grease remover, or at minimum some clean water and dish soap.

Finally, temperature plays a big part in the adhesive being able to grab well. I wouldn't recommend attempting to install any vinyl below 60 degrees. If you really need to place a decal in cold weather, my advice would be to have the car in a garage, and use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm up both the surface and the decal first.

If anybody is having trouble, I'd be happy to install their HCS decal at the Speakerbox or Providence meets. I'd even be willing to do an informal demo on installation if there's interest.

Hope this helps and thanks again for the feedback!
~Jack
I love how Jack is on it on the details. Nothing less than the best!

I think it would be really cool to have a 'sticker install day' and photoshoot. Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
It could have honestly beent he moisture in the air that killed it for me. The last Providence meet was incredibly damp and muggy. I'll have another go.
More likely it was the sticker itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
In for a set of the etched glass that mouts on the inside of the window
Cool. Keep an eye out for the ordering information.
Old September 25th   #373
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Okay, since the frosted/etched glass will pretty much be one-offs with high material costs, they'll have to be more than the usual stickers--like maybe $10/pair. Will that work?
Old September 26th   #374
Cruziness
Cruziness
is as Cruziness does!

That's a bit high...how many do we (as a group) have to order to bring the price down?
Old October 1st   #375
GsxJawsh
GsxJawsh
Is ready for this summer!

i still need a pair of white
Old October 1st   #376
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

Have the whites been delivered/ordered yet Samir? We're looking to buy a pair
ginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st   #377
ray
ray

I don't care what the etched glass costs I want it! They look so nice!
Old October 1st   #378
MadPSIentist
MadPSIentist
has ALL THE STATUS.

Hey guys, sorry for the delay, I sent Samir a text on price. I haven't heard back and I don't want to speak for him. I know from my end, even if I buy a whole roll of the etched glass it will still be at least 3x the price of a normal color, but we'll see what we can do.

For the folks looking to get white sets, I can assure you they have been cut, and they're the best batch yet They haven't been delivered yet though, they're sitting on my kitchen counter. I'll be at the Huntsville Flat 4 meet tomorrow and Providence on Wednesday, if I see Samir at either of those events I'll hand them off for distribution if you guys are trying to get your hands on them before the Speakerbox meet.
Old October 2nd   #379
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
That's a bit high...how many do we (as a group) have to order to bring the price down?
The lowest the price could prossibly drop to would be $8/pair. The material is just really expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxJawsh View Post
i still need a pair of white
I'm trying to remember, but if I shipped you an alternate color, you'll have to place another order for the white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
I don't care what the etched glass costs I want it! They look so nice!
Then they're $100/pair. Just kidding! If $10/pair is okay, then you can be the first and only person rocking them in Huntsville. Let me know and I'll post a link to order them.
Quote:
Hey guys, sorry for the delay, I sent Samir a text on price. I haven't heard back and I don't want to speak for him. I know from my end, even if I buy a whole roll of the etched glass it will still be at least 3x the price of a normal color, but we'll see what we can do.

For the folks looking to get white sets, I can assure you they have been cut, and they're the best batch yet They haven't been delivered yet though, they're sitting on my kitchen counter. I'll be at the Huntsville Flat 4 meet tomorrow and Providence on Wednesday, if I see Samir at either of those events I'll hand them off for distribution if you guys are trying to get your hands on them before the Speakerbox meet.
Sorry for the delay on the reply! I'll see you tomorrow night unless I can make it tonight. Someone needs to keep the HFF event thread updated on here! People are missing out on the fun.
Old October 3rd   #380
ginia
ginia
Roll Tide Roll!!!

So if we order them tomorrow would we get them the next time we see you Samir? Or how does that work?
ginia is offline   Reply With Quote