Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Site Related Discussions

Site Related Discussions Have an idea to make the site better? Having problems? Look in here

Old July 29th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

How to Take Huntsville Car Scene.com Pictures

Well, I've been asked this a few times, so I'm going to share my secrets. The secret is, there are no secrets.

There are some basic rules I following when taking pictures.

The first and foremost is never take a shot with a license plate clearly visible. I won't put it up on the site if you can read the plate. It's one thing to have pictures of your car all over the Internet. It's another thing for people to have enough information to find your car. I don't want someone to have something bad happen to their car because it was identified by its plate.

Do not take shots that would be considered an invasion of privacy. You should be able to get a good sense of this. If in doubt, don't take it.

Shoot in one resolution above 1024x768, usually 1280x960, but it may be higher. If you want to make an 8x10 of something, shoot it at the highest resolution you can. In the future, the requirement may be a higher resolution. All the images are resized and thumbnailed in post-processing.

Car show are the most basic pictures. Because most events are during the day and there's usually plenty of light, use the camera in fully automatic mode. I usually take 3 shots if possible--one of the exterior, one of the engine, and one of the interior. If the hood or windows or whatever are shut then I just skip it. Now that doesn't mean if you find a vehicle particularly intriguing that you can't take some additional creative shots. Just cover the basics first.

Rule on large car shows, get at least one picture of each car in the show versus doing the regular 3 shots. People like to see their car on the Internet. They tell their friends and family about it. More people's cars=more hits, plain and simple. Again that doesn't mean if you find a vehicle particularly intriguing that you can't take some additional creative shots. Just cover the basics first.

Bikes are more interesting. They have many more features and can be stunning from various angles. Use your imagination on these, but a low full shot does most of them justice.

Autocross and other moving events during the day. Follow the vehicle and try to use the burst mode to capture a couple of shots in sequence--especially if there's a spin, tire smoke, etc. When they're still, do the same shots like if it was in a car show.

Evening/Night shots. This is when photography stuff comes into play. You don't want to be using the flash. Most flashes will only light up the immediate area and you'll really be missing the big picture. Ideally, you'll want to work with whatever light you have.

You'll have to start playing with manual modes like S, A, and M. Learn about ISO, shutter, and aperture on your camera. Then, depending on the conditions, set your ISO higher, the shutter slower (between 1/6 and 1/20) and a wide open aperture (lowest f-stop number you can go). This will turn up the camera's sensativity and let in as much light as possible. You can get really neat shots of neon and vehicle lighting this way as well.

If you're in completely pitch dark, then you're only solution is nightvision which is available on some model Sony cameras. It operates by emitting infrared light and changing the image sensor to react to that light instead of normal. It gets rid of any color information, but works pretty well.

Video. Video is always a challenge. Try to shoot a small concise clip of just the action. There is no post-processing of video (as of right now). What you shoot is what goes live. Video is usually only good during the day unless you have a Sony camera that can do nightvision videos.

Shoot videos in 640x480/16 frames or equivalent. That's a good, full resolution that gets most of the action without being a super big file size.

This is all I can think of right now. Post questions or comments.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

This has changed a bit because of the new picture system and video system (in development).

The main change is shoot photos in the highest resolution possible besides RAW. Videos may be able to be stepped up to full 640x480 30frames/sec, but that's too early to say for sure right now.
Old February 22nd   #3
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
Samir my camera is a Aiptek IS-DV the battery is a NP60 Li-ion rechargeable battery (3.7v 850mAh) and uses a standard run of the mill SD memory card...its the target special i caught for like $120 and its a camera and videocamera pretty much sucks lol

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

How big is your SD Card? And it's not the equipment, it's how you use it.

Last edited by Samir; February 22nd at 09:29 PM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd   #5
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

my memory card is 128mb...im thinking about buying another one but bigger also...if i can come up with the money

Old February 22nd   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I have a 512MB Sandisk Ultra 2 that you can use when covering Huntsville Car Scene events. That should be a little bit better.

Let me know what you can budget and I'll help you get the most bang for the buck. I recently got a 1gb for the Panasonic camera for under $80. And again it was a Sandisk Ultra 2. I keep tabs on the memory prices.
Old February 22nd   #7
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

cool deal im gonna be looking here soon

Old February 22nd   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think $50 will buy you a 512 Sandisk Ultra 2 like what I have at Circuit City. I went by there earlier today and thought they had the 512 regular and usb for 49.99 after rebate. Not bad considering you can't find either on online for <$70.

But you may want to hold out for the 2GB. It's <$100 at places now. In fact, I may upgrade from the 1GB in the Panasonic if the events this year warrant it.
Old February 22nd   #9
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

oh yeah i wanting a 1gb no doubt...im excited now man I wana be one of the official huntsvillecarscene photographers

Old February 22nd   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I just looked through the owners manual of your camera. It's not too shabby. It's plus points are full frame mpeg4 video straight to a memory card. It's big minus point is the manual focus and only digital zoom.

Here's what I'd use your camera for. Pictures and video at events when it is nice and sunny. Shooting at only 3.1mp and not 5 since your image sensor is only 3.1. Image stabilization off. Maybe adjust white balance if needed. But the big plus point is video. I'd primarily use this as a video camera. Any action shots like of 256north, any dragging, stuff like that this thing should shine because it's already in web-ready form. A 1gb card would be great, but a 512 won't be bad either. You can get almost 1000 shots on the 512 or 30 minutes of video with sound.
Old February 23rd   #11
toyoman
toyoman
has no status.

i have a 1 gb ultra 2 i will sell for 60 bucks... new in package... thought i needed it but got an olympus camera instead so i need xD... call me 256-755-8096
toyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd   #12
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

yeah man ill take that off your hands no doubt

Old February 23rd   #13
V8S10
V8S10
a.k.a MagicMan

kerry if we can get hooked up this weekend and thers daylight you can snap a few of my truck only from its good side tho
V8S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Why don't you guys come on the photo cruise? There'll be plenty of opportunities for some good shots.
Old February 23rd   #15
toyoman
toyoman
has no status.

work... sorry bro, Nevr2loS10 if you will call me i will get together with you to give that to you... 256-755-8096

Last edited by toyoman; February 23rd at 06:26 PM.
toyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th   #16
aminga
aminga
has no status.

Send a message via MSN to aminga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
This has changed a bit because of the new picture system and video system (in development).

The main change is shoot photos in the highest resolution possible besides RAW. Videos may be able to be stepped up to full 640x480 30frames/sec, but that's too early to say for sure right now.
I assume that since photos are now sold the photographer will get an appropriate comission.
Old February 27th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminga
I assume that since photos are now sold the photographer will get an appropriate comission.
Yes, for photos that are submitted and used, the photographer will be given compensation in return for an exclusive license to Huntsville Car Scene.com. The photographer retains the copyright. The amount of compensation will vary and has not yet been determined.

This is not a revenue stream for Huntsville Car Scene, but it is a way to minimize some of the costs associated with publishing the photos.

If I wanted to make money selling photos, I'd go be a professional photographer. (And I wouldn't have to worry about 11.5% interest rates for funding this site.)
Old February 27th   #18
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

who wants money...the scene is life and for fun..and takin pics while your there is just that..the only person that deserves money is samir and its to help fund the site

Old February 27th   #19
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

btw samir we are gearing up to go to spring fling next weekend...i was hoping to get a bigger memory card so that I can adequately(sp) cover the show and the after parties but im strapped for cash...so looks like well have to do with as many pics as I can get...ill get it to the best of my ability though

Old February 27th   #20
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2loS10
btw samir we are gearing up to go to spring fling next weekend...i was hoping to get a bigger memory card so that I can adequately(sp) cover the show and the after parties but im strapped for cash...so looks like well have to do with as many pics as I can get...ill get it to the best of my ability though
I got my camera and computer. I'm able to take 500+ per go...I'll run out of batteries before I run out of space. When the card gets full, I'll dump it and start over. This is going to be one heck of a good time in Florida.