Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Old August 16th   #1
smokey
smokey
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to smokey
crazy gas prices!!!!

I am about to park my truck and start a bicycle club if these gas prices get any higher.I filled up a few days ago for $2.29 a gallon and now places are like $2.60 whats up with this crap prices jumped 13 cents in a 3 hr period .Sorry for the rant but I told my shift leader i'm gonna have to call out sick to work due to gas prices its almost cheaper to stay at home....ok i'm finished now

Brian A. Edwards
"SMOKEY"
smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

We still got it good compared to everywhere else. I remember 2 pounds, 50 pence a litre in London 10 years ago. So let's do some math: 1 us gallon = 3.7854118 litres and 1 British pound = 1.8115 US dollars. So that means 10 years ago, it was costing about 2.5*1.8 = $4.50 per liter*3.785 = $17/gallon! And that's when it was less than a dollar per gallon here in the US.

We still have it good. But without any good public transportation, a vehicle is a neccessity here in the US. That's what kills us. My uncle in London hasn't owned a car his whole life.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #3
MYLOTOY
MYLOTOY
has no status.

My dad said he just paid 3.00 for a gallon of gas in CALI.
MYLOTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #4
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

look at post# 40 in car stories and post # 16 in local chatter for my thoughts on the matter. i may just have to get over my fear of riding my bike . 54 mpg sounds good now.
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I wouldn't ride a bike in Huntsville rush traffic--you'd get killed within a month.
Old August 16th   #6
HOSS429
HOSS429

that is my fear. not my riding. everyone elses driving.
Old August 16th   #7
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
id have to leave at like 8am to be at work by 12 on a bike...i live in south huntsville and work at the airport...gas is ridiculous though! something needs to be done

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #8
HOSS429
HOSS429

you would be in great shape though. may even join lance strongarm in the next tour de bicycle race in france
Old August 16th   #9
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429
you would be in great shape though. may even join lance strongarm in the next tour de bicycle race in france
nope ill just pass him and jam a large stick into his spokes and ride off into the sunset w/ cheryl crow lmao!

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #10
HOSS429
HOSS429

i heard that
Old August 16th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2loS10
nope ill just pass him and jam a large stick into his spokes and ride off into the sunset w/ cheryl crow lmao!
That's just wrong, lol.
Old August 16th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Well, let's face it, we can't change our transportation. But we can change how we drive them. I've never really had a problem getting 35mpg+ in any car I've owned.

It's the little things like accelerate smoothly and slowly. There's no rush to get up to 45mph. I pick a point on my tach where I want the car to shift and then stick with it.

Anticipate stops and traffic flow. Figure out how to slow down and time things so you never come to a complete stop. Not only does that prevent dead-stop accelerations (which kills mileage badly), but it will save your brakes too.

Using the acceleration and traffic flow, don't downshift to pass. Learn how to build up momentum and use that to pass. It's slower, but a lot cheaper. And if you learn to flow in traffic, you'll actually be able to do this quite easily.

Don't use the AC. I know that may be too much for most everyone, but can you live without AC for 10 minutes? When you get out of your car, you have to be in the heat until you get to your AC'd destination. Sometimes it may not be practical, but it can save you a lot in fuel costs.

Figure out your vehicle's most fuel efficent mph. Most cars it's a little north of 45mph. You can get some crazy mileage that way. I've done over 45mpg.

There's other tips out there on a google search, but this is just what I know.
Old August 16th   #13
HOSS429
HOSS429

make room

we will all just ride with you then
Old August 16th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429
we will all just ride with you then
Sure $5 a head and I'll take you anywhere up to 100 miles.
Old August 17th   #15
HOSS429
HOSS429

explane explane

isnt that what tatoo said on fantasy island i dont keep up with the news .what does the media say is driving up gas prices?
Old August 17th   #16
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Whats funny is that if everyone went and filled up on one day, then gas prices would go down. Remember back on 9/11 when the attacks happened and everyone got gas and then for the rest of the week the gas stations were empty? Yeah...gas dropped i think to something below $1.40 or .50. I dont remember exactly.

See, when no one buys gas for a week that puts the gas station in a bind, which in turn puts the delivery truck in a bind as well. When the delivery truck is in a bind then the company that operates it is in a bind, and then the company they get the gas from gets backed up, and so on and so forth all the way up the chain to the pipeline. Hence lower gas prices because everyone gets backed up.

Another related story...(the attendant at costo told me this as i pumped $78.00 worth of the cheap stuff in my truck yesterday) The New York/New Jersey - whatever - sanitation department went on strike because they wanted better benefits, better pay, etc. They didn't pick up trash for a week. Thats all the time it took. At the end of the week they were given their benefits, and their pay because everything got backed up and people were willing to "Git-er-done" its like the same thing about not getting gas...we dont buy gas - they get backed up and inconvenienced - gas prices go down.
Old August 17th   #17
MYLOTOY
MYLOTOY
has no status.

Actually the prices you are paying today is so that the company can buy gas next week at the prices they expect them to go up to. So when they see that their out of pocket cost then they lower they price then for that next week. There was a report on WAFF one night and that was how the owner of a station put it.
MYLOTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #18
HOSS429
HOSS429

so if the public would quit panic buying the price would fall?.
Old August 17th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Reasons for the pricing? Supply and demand, politics, and economics.
Old August 17th   #20
PottyScotty
PottyScotty
has no status.

The demand is far outpacing the supply right now (not just in the US). The war hasn't helped helped keep prices down either.

Quote:
It's the little things like accelerate smoothly and slowly. There's no rush to get up to 45mph. I pick a point on my tach where I want the car to shift and then stick with it.
You mean my throttle isn't an on/off switch?
PottyScotty is offline   Reply With Quote