Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

National Council of Corvette Clubs Low Speed Autocross
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

December 4th to December 5th 08:30 AM to 04:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: John Hunt Park (Old Airport), Huntsville, Alabama
Contact: Town and Country Corvette Club, 256-852-8003, http://www.ncccsouth.com/html/2010_sch.html

From the flyer:

This is part of the National Council of Corvette Clubs southeast autocross series. At this race, there are a series of 14 events, 2 runs per event. Registration is $75 for all events or $7 per event. Registration opens at 8:30a and closes at the start of the 2nd run of each event. Driver's meeting at 9:30a and the runs start after that. Exhaust must be closed.

Lunch will be provided Saturday and Sunday in lieu of awards. Governors of this event are the Town and Country Corvette club from Harvest, Corvette Atlanta, and East Tennessee Corvette Club from Kingston, TN.

These are some of the most race-prepared Corvettes you will ever get to see up close and personal, so come out and feel the power hitting the pavement. Just be sure to bring some binoculars to catch the action from a safe distance.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

Saturday I wasn't able to get out until the very last runs due to camera issues, but the cloudy sky overhead made for a soft light that's always perfect for automotive photography. I got pictures of the last few cars running as well as some in the grid.

Temperatures were in the 60s with a light wind. The lack of sunshine made it feel much colder than it was, and a lot of people packed up after noon after getting in good runs. The fastest times hovered around 52 seconds, which is pretty quick for a circuit a little over half a mile long.

Typically on Sunday a lot of people take off after noon since they come from all over the nation and have to get back home. However, today the weather was a big influence as the temperature dropped into the 30s with a brisk wind that added to the wind chill factor. A lot of people had started packing up by 11am when I arrived. But there were still some cars running with similar times to yesterday. After the lunch break, cold pavement and cold tires made for some slides and tire smoke, but that's to be expected.

I never though about this before, but one of the best (and safest) vantage points to see all the racing was actually from the Milton Frank Stadium parking lot. I saw a Honda Odyessy minivan parked there that must have had a great view of the top side of the course. And if they had a good pair of binoculars, they could see everything from there.

The Town and Country Corvette club put on a great event with the help of the Vets with Vettes members working the course. I almost forgot about the unique channel all the communication was on--4-27.

I left Sunday after I shot some video of one of the runs and couldn't feel my toes anymore. That was a strong sign that I was done. See everyone next year!
1 members will be attending this event:

Old December 3rd   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Not sure how well this will work with a winter mix possible saturday night.......and a high of only 42......i'll prolly be staying indoors....lol.

Last edited by EvilZ; December 3rd at 03:54 PM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I know they'll still be out there...and so will I...freezing my butt off, lol.