Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Rocket City Miata Club Christmas Party
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

December 12th 04:00 PM to 09:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Bob and Sandy's house

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

It's been many years since I've spent time with the Rocket City Miata Club. I met many old friends and made new ones as well. The Miata club does something special during the Twickenham Tour of Homes. When the luminaries are out, you'll see Miatas decorated with lights along the luminary routes spreading joy and seasons greetings. It's a really great holiday experience. One year, I actually tagged along with them in my Boxster, and heard some disappointment from onlookers--"hey, that's not a Miata..."

Normally, the luminaries drive coincides with the club's Christmas party, but this year it was canceled due to the weather, and so the driveout was canceled. But the party was in full swing.

Bob and Sandy graciously hosted the party and everyone feasted on the wonderful food that everyone brought. Steve's homemade apple pie was gone very quickly, and his pumpkin pie was close behind. The salads, and spiced apples, and casseroles all filled up our tummies while German Riesling and fresh mulled wine lifted our spirits.

And then there's the ever unique Rocket City Miata version of dirty Santa. Led each year by Clem, it becomes the most fun version of this holiday tradition that I've seen among the car clubs. And Clem had a new version of this variant this year, so everyone was thoroughly engaged as they followed his directions.

The social fabric of this club is fantastic. For them, it's not about the drive, but it's about the journey. It's about the sights, and sounds, and tastes. This is a group that loves Miatas and all the wonderful places they can go in them as a group. And they do so on a driveout almost every month. And it's unbelievable fun. Come to a meeting and find out for yourself.

It was great to see everyone again, and I look forward to seeing everyone in 2010. Merry Christmas!

There are no replies to show.