Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

3rd Friday evenings, Downtown Decatur, AL
Calendar: Events Calendar
coupemama  
April 15th 05:00 PM to 09:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: 2nd Avenue, Decatur, AL

This 2016 season will be the months of:
April thru October
5pm to 9pm
3rd Fridays
2nd Avenue, Decatur, AL
more info as planning comes along
4 members will be attending this event:

Old February 23rd   #2
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Note: there will NOT be an event this year in March. They are starting in April and will run thru October.
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st   #3
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

I have been contacted and have been asked for any suggestions to make this event better for the cruisers. If you have any good suggestions, please let me know prior to the 8th, when they are meeting. I believe all has been well, but I do not see or know all! Thanks, Marsha (cms.luttrell@juno.com)
Old March 31st   #4
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Update from committee: Classic and Antique Cars

We invite all car enthusiasts to display their antique or classic car at 3rd Friday Downtown Decatur! Cars are asked to begin parking as early as 4:30 p.m. on each 3rd Friday. Streets will begin to be blocked at 4:30 p.m.

The block of the Princess Theatre, between Lee Street and Moulton Street, will be closed to through traffic from 5:30 p.m. until 9 p.m. In this block only, cars are asked to be in place no later than 5:30 p.m. Those cars must remain parked from 5:30 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. due to the high pedestrian volume in this block.

The blocks of Second Avenue between Johnston Street, Grant Street and Jackson Street, as well as the side streets up to the alleys, will be available to late arrivals, and ones wanting to come and go during the evening.

Car owners are asked to be mindful of the businesses’ doorways and sidewalks and make sure any chairs are not blocking pedestrian traffic. Spaces are available “first come, first serve” and there is no fee to participate. Please contact Ashley at info@thepaperchasedecatur.com with any questions.

And I will add that the businesses of banks, accountants & attorneys do not get off work until 5pm. So please be kind to those trying to leave the area after work - do not block them. Thank you, Marsha
Old April 5th   #5
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

The Decatur cruisers have made some suggestions and the committee is meeting this evening, I believe. So hopefully we will have a better plan for us cruisers and the parking situation. Will post an update as soon as I know. Please check back. Thanks, Marsha
Old April 7th   #6
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Update:

There will be no "lock down" block. They will leave the block between Lee and Moulton streets to open parking - come and go. But if you want to park near the Princess Theatre, you will probably have to enter that area to the north from Lee Street. The intersection of 2nd and Moulton will most likely be closed to pedestrians around Mellow Mushroom.

They will leave the next block between Moulton and Johnston streets closed to vendors, arts & crafts and the children/family activities, due to Jones Park being in that block and for the safety of the children.

Then the rest of the way south to Gordon Parkway and side roads open to the cars - come and go. Again, coming from 6th Avenue, the best way to come in may be from Grant Street. But I guess I will not know until I get there and see how things are laid out.

Hope to see you there. And can always tell me your thoughts and I will get those to the committee. Thanks, Marsha
Old April 10th   #7
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

This is the 3rd time this has come up. can't figure out why they (city) cant figure it out.
The CARS are the reason the people are there. TICK THEM OFF AND YOU WON'T HAVE A SHOW. Glad Mr Mills got this taken care of.

Last edited by b.a.king; April 10th at 01:04 PM.
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd   #8
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Yes, having just a slight issue. We are trying to get the parking back that they took from us last month. They closed off the one block for vendors only - no cars. There is limited parking in this part of Decatur already, and closing off that entire block takes away room for us. We argue the vendors can be located in the parks/grass area, places where the cars cannot park. So why take parking spaces from us if you want us there. Let's give the City one more chance to make it right. If this month's 3rd Friday event is not all open parking on all of 2nd Avenue, then we can keep on cruis'n to where all the parking we need is available to us. There are other Friday night events happening in other cities.

And speaking on available spots, please cruisers, do not save spots. That is rude and inconsiderate to your fellow cruisers when driving around and trying to find a space to park. You would not like it if we did that to you. So do not do to others. Thank you
Old May 5th   #9
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

3rd Friday night Downtown Decatur
This event officially starts at 5:30pm
Barricades will be placed at 4:30pm
If you arrive too early, there will be public parking lots to park and wait until 2nd Ave has cleared
The businesses, like bankers, attorneys, etc do not close until 5pm and they do need time to leave

Starting with the north end:
For the cars wanting to park in the block from Lee Street to Moulton Street (Princess Theater block)
Enter and exit at the north end of 2nd at Lee Street
Once this block is full, there will be a sign placed at this entrance/exit indicating FULL
At that point, please proceed to either 1st or 4th Avenue and enter from the side streets of Johnston or Grant

2nd Ave at Moulton intersection will be closed – no entering or exiting either direction on 2nd Ave at this point

The 1st 6 spots on 2nd Ave south of Moulton – 3 on each side – is assigned to the paying vendors
Then the rest of the parking spots on this block going south to Johnston Street is open for the classic cars
Once this block is full, there will also be a sign placed indicating FULL

Then, like before, the balance of 2nd Ave to Gordon Parkway is open to classic cars
As well as the side streets of Johnston and Grant, both directions, to the barricades

Moulton Street is also available for parking, but must park regular, legal parking – no backing into the spots on this main street
Old May 5th   #10
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

In summary, we are getting all the parking back, except for 6 spots that are paying vendors.