Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners

North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners A dedicated forum for the Mitsubishi Owners in North Alabama

Old June 18th   #1
MoreGarageSpacePls
MoreGarageSpacePls
has no status.

Evo X Aftermarket Parts

I wanted to get the opinions of some Mitsu/Evo people on what you guys have seen/used as far as aftermarket parts. We're looking at doing just bolt ons for now and have so far used AMS for their Performance Intake and Upper Intercooler Pipe. Next on the list is doing a turbo back exhaust upgrade and an ECU flash. I'm thinking a mix of AMS downpipe and testpipe/racing cat and then maybe a Tanabe/AMS/Greddy catback. More importantly, we're looking at getting the Cobb AccessPort so that we can use it for multiple tunes and different maps. After that we'll probably look at finishing the intercooler piping upgrade and an aftermarket intercooler as well - probably looking at AMS for that too. We were thinking about just going all AMS and then once we were done with all the aforementioned bolt ons, making a trip up to Chicago to get it tuned by AMS themselves; to get the best tune and more to less to be able to say we did it haha Anyone got any opinions on any of these parts?

Also have you guys heard many exhaust systems with test pipes? Are they incredibly loud on the Evo's? I like to hear it at WOT but I don't love not being able to talk to someone else in the car at a stop light without yelling. I also don't love tons of cabin drone on the interstate. What about exhaust silencers? Do they work pretty well? I've never heard one in person that I know of and especially not on an Evo. Thanks in advance
MoreGarageSpacePls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th   #2
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

I've been in an EVO X with a test pipe and exhaust, and yes it is loud. At a stop light it's not so loud that you can't carry a conversation, but at speed you will definitely need to speak up, and the drone is very evident. If it were my X, I would keep the cat on.

To clarify, it doesn't sound terrible, but it's just really loud!

Last edited by BigTyla; June 18th at 04:15 PM.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th   #3
MoreGarageSpacePls
MoreGarageSpacePls
has no status.

Yea I'm pretty sure I do want a cat of some sort on there. The only car I was around a lot with a test pipe was a buddy's Prelude and it was ungodly loud. I thought it was cool for about a week and then after that it sucked...especially when we went on drives longer than 15 minutes.

I'm debating whether to just leave the stock cat on or to get a "high flow racing cat". Are those really typically worth the money? I know they're usually a 200 cell instead of a 300 cell and thus less restrictive on airflow...but how much is less? Perrin actually makes a downpipe/high flow cat single piece combo that looks nice...but I really like the AMS downpipe so I dunno...
Old June 18th   #4
bigben
bigben
has no status.

pm HPEVOX. I know he uses the Cobb accessport, but I can't remember what his exhaust is.
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th   #5
BigTyla
BigTyla
has no status.

I'd stick with the stock cat personally.
BigTyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th   #6
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

Catless. Done!
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th   #7
GsxJawsh
GsxJawsh
Is ready for this summer!

As far as mitsus are concerned, im more of a punishment racing, apexi, forced performance kinda guy, but that's with DSMs, im not sure how these will sound/look on an evo. Testpipe FTW!
Old June 19th   #8
AWDani
AWDani
is in full on mod mode.

Hi, I have a X with an AMS down pipe, the tomei titanium exhaust, and the AMS test pipe eliminating that kitty. I love the sound the car makes ( especially at WOT), but that's me! It is certainly not too loud at idle to talk to somone in the car. I'd be more than happy to give you a ride. I also have the Cobb access port and currently run the stage 2 tune and will demonstrate what that tunes provides as well. I'm usually present at most car functions and meets around here

Tomei Titanium Xpreme - AMS downpipe - AMS test pipe - Cobb Stage 2 - Rally Armor - Gram Lights 57D

Last edited by AWDani; June 19th at 09:23 PM.
AWDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st   #9
ray
ray

HPEVOX can also provide you with some more solid advice as he is a X owner with a fair amount of mods. I know he had a test pipe on his aftermarket exhaust and he was annoyed with some drone and ended up putting in a high-flow cat. I believe he still runs this setup as well.

AMS does make some great parts for the Evo and especially the X but some of it can be quite expensive and you do pay for their name. It can also cost quite a bit when you go to them direct. I'd just shop around and see what others are running and do some research on evolutionm.net. You may also be able to get in touch with a few local vendors/suppliers that can get you the parts you want a little cheaper than direct from the manufacturer.

With what you said I would wait for the tune if your plan is to do full bolt-ons. In the end it will save you money and yield you more gains.

I'm not a huge fan of the Cobb Accessport but I know a couple people who like them. They seem to work better on the X's (as they discontinued support for the CT9A platform) and are focusing on the newer platform instead. I just prefer a tune tailored to my specific car and logs rather than a more generic log designed to work across most aftermarket parts. The last I read and researched the Cobb this still held true, but it may have changed so I can't say with 100% certainty this is still how they operate.

As far as going to AMS to get a tune, that is a lot of money and quite a trip. There are some great tuners here in the South that can road tune as well as dyno tune your car. Mellon up in Memphis does great but provides road tunes, Top Speed or Forged can also tune on a dyno and they are located in Atlanta. There is also a great tuner out of Birmingham who can do road tunes. He actually programs and helps develop some of the tools used to tune the Evo in his spare time. I can give you his info as well
Old June 21st   #10
MoreGarageSpacePls
MoreGarageSpacePls
has no status.

Thanks for all the input guys. I know everyone has their own opinions based off their own experiences and to each his own to some degree, but I like hearing what different people think.

ray - I've been on some of the dedicated Evo forums and browsed some of their info. I was more or less hoping to talk to some people around here that I could talk to in person and look and listen to what they've had done on their car as well as how much they liked it/their experiences with it. Evolutionm does have a lot of good info though.

Any good suggestions on local vendors to go with to get this stuff? Pretty sure we're going to go with AMS for intercooler and downpipe, just not sure on test/cat and catback yet.

The thing that seemed good with the Cobb AccessPort was that you had the preset tunes, could data log and measure performance, and switch tunes on the fly. I agree, paying for a full dyno+pro tune would be pointless until all the boltons are done but I figured having a tool like the Cobb AP would only help. It would be nice to be able to flash it for when we want to run it hard or when we go out on the interstate and need to go somewhere to get the best mpg; as well as being able to see performance and data logs not to mention having something that can read the CEL if anything happens or if I feel like the car is acting up. But again, never owned one, so don't really know.

Going to Chicago is a bit of a stretch but it would be more of a vacation based around doing it...just to say we did, if we did end up going straight AMS parts. I know that's not a "big deal" but it's more of just a fun thing to do I guess. It is far more likely we go to Atlanta. I have researched both of those performance shops some and they both seem to have worked on and obtained good gains out of Evo X's...not to mention the AWD dyno.

Dani - we look foward to meeting you and look forward to hearing and seeing your car in person! At the very least we will be at the Fort Payne event and can see all you guys there...
Old June 21st   #11
ray
ray

Do you think you could make it to this event?

http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=6386

It is this Sunday with the local Subaru club. But there aren't hard feelings around here when it comes to Evo and STi. I have organized many meets in concert with the Subaru club. We would love to have you out!
Old June 21st   #12
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

If you need any tuning done I know a local guy here in Huntsville that can tune, order your parts and install them for a very good price. Let me know and I will put you in contact with him. I run a Cobb AP on my STI and I will tell you the off the self maps are lacking. They are safe and that its what they are designed for. To get the full potential you will need to get a Protune done and I can get you information on that also. Good luck with your modding and hope to meet you soon.
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st   #13
MoreGarageSpacePls
MoreGarageSpacePls
has no status.

That sounds like fun! We don't have anything pressing this weekend so sure, we'll come! We were going to be bums sitting around the house to save money, but I'm sure we can scrounge up a little something for gas to make the trip!
Old June 21st   #14
ray
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreGarageSpacePls View Post
That sounds like fun! We don't have anything pressing this weekend so sure, we'll come! We were going to be bums sitting around the house to save money, but I'm sure we can scrounge up a little something for gas to make the trip!
Awesome! I'm sure I'll say "Hi" but if I don't find the red Evo VIII and introduce yourself!
Old June 24th   #15
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Just saw this thread lol oops.
Well you heard how loud the car can be. I have the MAP O2 eliminator DP, ETS high flow cat and ETS v2 CBE. The ETS is a little louder than the AMS setup.

Here's the mod list if i didn't tell you everything today.
GO: Inj intake/UCIP, ETS 4" IC/LICP/CBE/HFC, MAP O2 elim DP, Cobb Stage 2-93 octane, Ohlins DFV, Whiteline RSB/end links, ACT 6 puck sprung, Magnus CMC, EBC Red stuff, Dunlop star specs

SHOW: Rexpeed CF font bumper lip (v-style), CF front bumper splitter (type f), AEM digital boost gauge, DSG A-pillar dual gauge pod, Cobb Knob, OEM rims painted black w/factory RR lip.

If you guys come Sat or Sun to the autox event y'all are more than welcome to ride along. If you can't make it, remind me at the little river thing and y'all are more than welcome to ride. I've had the car for a few years now so i've accumulated some knowledge about it, abut I am no expert lol so anything i can help with i'd be more than happy.
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
You may also be able to get in touch with a few local vendors/suppliers that can get you the parts you want a little cheaper than direct from the manufacturer.
Like site supporter BoostFab!
Quote:
Any good suggestions on local vendors to go with to get this stuff? Pretty sure we're going to go with AMS for intercooler and downpipe, just not sure on test/cat and catback yet.
I think BoostFab can get what you need.
Old June 27th   #17
MoreGarageSpacePls
MoreGarageSpacePls
has no status.

Yea your car sounded great. Looks great too! I do want to come see the autocross event, but it makes me nervous that seeing it and especially riding with you, will make me want to do it haha. Definitely going to try to make it out this weekend though

Thanks Samir! We'll definitely get in touch with them about some of these parts when the time comes.
Old June 27th   #18
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

New here and wondering much of the same. I currently have the Cobb AP running the latest Stage I Beta OTS map (and loving it), and want to make the move to stage II. My experience with my prior Subarus, is that most exhaust systems are a matter of style as I went through several that varied in style and claimed sound level, but it's the cat that caused most the sound and drone.

I want to maximize the gains and was looking at the UR straight tp, and the UR dual cbe with straight mp, but don't want it to get too loud either. UR offers several tp and mp options with catted, resonated and muffler sections, so I figured I could always experiement with what I feel would give me the right sound level, though with some hassel and $$$.

I do know a guy with an 08 MR, 02 dp, resonated tp, and the UR cbe, and it's not loud at all from the outside but I've never actually been in it. He commutes it almost daily and has two young kids, and claims that it's not bad at all.
Yoo Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th   #19
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
Yea your car sounded great. Looks great too! I do want to come see the autocross event, but it makes me nervous that seeing it and especially riding with you, will make me want to do it haha. Definitely going to try to make it out this weekend though

Thanks Samir! We'll definitely get in touch with them about some of these parts when the time comes.
Thanks!! yes it will make you want to participate next time lol. May even get bf to bring the "porch" out so Samir has a twin too hahaha
Old June 27th   #20
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
New here and wondering much of the same. I currently have the Cobb AP running the latest Stage I Beta OTS map (and loving it), and want to make the move to stage II. My experience with my prior Subarus, is that most exhaust systems are a matter of style as I went through several that varied in style and claimed sound level, but it's the cat that caused most the sound and drone.

I want to maximize the gains and was looking at the UR straight tp, and the UR dual cbe with straight mp, but don't want it to get too loud either. UR offers several tp and mp options with catted, resonated and muffler sections, so I figured I could always experiement with what I feel would give me the right sound level, though with some hassel and $$$.

I do know a guy with an 08 MR, 02 dp, resonated tp, and the UR cbe, and it's not loud at all from the outside but I've never actually been in it. He commutes it almost daily and has two young kids, and claims that it's not bad at all.
Awesome! My setup doesn't drone in cabin at hwy speeds w the HFC. But so you know, Cobb tunes with a HFC in the initial running when they make the OTS maps, so that's just something to think about.