Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners

North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners A dedicated forum for the Mitsubishi Owners in North Alabama

Old October 1st   #1
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

Tuning basics - O2 housing, down pipe, AP vs Tactrix

I am not sure I had to for my clutch job, but I ended up cracking free all the bolts on the O2 housing on my Evo X. That was a bear of a job, but now I know how it is done it will take me less than the FOUR HOURS it took this time!

Which leads me to consider swapping out the O2 housing and downpipe since I am in there now. I don't really want to do that again.

I can't find any clear consensus online as to whether the O2 housing and downpipe are worth doing for a mildly tuned car. I have always intended to go the TBE route with stock turbo, and always dreaded this O2 job.

What is your experience?

And does anyone use Tactrix and ECU Flash rather than the Cobb AP?

Oh, a mighty thanks to Howard for dropping off his excess fluids. That is a pretty X...

Jim M.
nine3shoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st   #2
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

Jim I have a guy here in town that can do a mild tune for you whether it be Cobb AP or Open source ECU. Wayne Coots and he can be reached at 1-210-386-4923. Tell him Dana told you to give him a call. I have the 2008 OBP STI.
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd   #3
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

Hey Jim, how's it going? I was going to do my dp with the rest of the exhaust until I found out how much of PITA it is to get off. My Subarus where an easy 1 hour job, plus they were cheap and made a huge difference in power, but for this particular Evo, it doesn't do a whole lot even with a tune. When/if I ever go with a turbo upgrade, I'll do it then, but for now my plans are to go tp + cbe + AP stage 2 map.

You ought to drive my car and feel how the Cobb Stage I feels, maybe that'll help you decide. I've had the Cobb AP on my previous Subarus and loved it. I've always had great customer support from Cobb and the huge online community of AP users as well.

Hey also, I meant to ask what happened to you dog? I know you said he had a major visit to the vet and I saw that he had some bandages.
Yoo Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd   #4
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

I haven't done anything on the car since Sunday, so it is still sitting with front clip off, undertrays off, cross bracing off, axles out, all the wiring and ECU etc. cleared from the engine bay, heat shields out, and all the nuts cracked on the O2 housing. Getting the driver's side axle out was a bitch. Very difficult to get a fulcrum point to apply some pressure with a lever.

So downpipe off next, but I have done the hard work. I made a puller for the driver's side stub axle, so should be easy. The only bit that worries me is the ACD when I drain some fluid.

As for tuning, I am looking at a HFC and a 3 port boost controller, but am uncertain on the down pipe / O2 housing. I just don't see that the gains would be worth the near $500 it would cost.

Then off to see Wayne for a tune, on Dana's recommendation :-)

The poor old dog had some lumps on his skin, and it cost a small fortune to have them removed. We are just hoping they are benign.

Jim M.
Old October 3rd   #5
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine3shoof View Post
I haven't done anything on the car since Sunday, so it is still sitting with front clip off, undertrays off, cross bracing off, axles out, all the wiring and ECU etc. cleared from the engine bay, heat shields out, and all the nuts cracked on the O2 housing. Getting the driver's side axle out was a bitch. Very difficult to get a fulcrum point to apply some pressure with a lever.

So downpipe off next, but I have done the hard work. I made a puller for the driver's side stub axle, so should be easy. The only bit that worries me is the ACD when I drain some fluid.

As for tuning, I am looking at a HFC and a 3 port boost controller, but am uncertain on the down pipe / O2 housing. I just don't see that the gains would be worth the near $500 it would cost.

Then off to see Wayne for a tune, on Dana's recommendation :-)

The poor old dog had some lumps on his skin, and it cost a small fortune to have them removed. We are just hoping they are benign.

Jim M.
Poor puppy My pup has something like that on her tail but the vet drew fluid from it and said it isn't anything harmful, and to just watch to make sure it doesn't get any bigger. He wanted $300 to remove it!

Hey at least you got some good garage weather this week!
Old October 10th   #6
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

And i'm late on this one again lol. I went ahead and did DP with the clutch job since it was right there. Check out MAP downpipe. It's the same setup as the ETS, but much cheaper. I got the 02 eliminator that recirc. It has to help. The stock dp makes the exhaust do a complete 180, then a 90 down. The new dp smooths it out a tonnnn. I ran the stock dp with tp and cbe for a while, then did that with the clutch. Not sure if i felt anything on the butt dyno, but just looking at the design it's about impossible it can't help. You will eventually want to do it and it's RIGHT THERE right now lol.

Recently had a friend tune mine using the cobb and he said it's basically the same as ecuflash and tactrix cable, but just arranged differently. Benefit to the cobb is being able to log from a handheld device and monitor things easier on the AP. You don't have to cary around a laptop to see what's going on. I would say do the downpipe YES, and go with the AP. Not biased or anything
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th   #7
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

I did consider the MAP DP and probably should have gone for it but thought I would get more from a HFC. Had I not had to invest in my local veterinary surgery I may have done both but the old dog takes priority :-)

Hope to get it all back together tomorrow but I bruised some ribs playing soccer tonight and it is going to hurt like hell putting that bloody DP back on! I have one smaLl metal heat shield which apparently mounts to the O2 housing but I can't see where. I expect it will be obvious once the DP is attached. It has been fun. No sarcasm intended.
Old October 10th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

You and that soccer...how many injuries does this make total?
Old October 10th   #9
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
You and that soccer...how many injuries does this make total?
Nowhere near as many as the other guys...
Old October 10th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Nowhere near as many as the other guys...
LOL!! Luck of the Irish.
Old October 11th   #11
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

I hear ya lol. It really is fun doing stuff yourself. I've learned to try anything myself.. then if i mess it up TOO bad i can call someone to help lol.

Hey at least you called it soccer and not "Futboll" lol
Old October 17th   #12
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Ok found the perfect dyno for you for your dp question! 9hp and 5ft/lbs of torque. Check it out. Scroll down to the 2nd dyno graph and it compares only changing the dp, that is an awesome dp btw..not biased or anything lol

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-d...ven-gains.html
Old October 17th   #13
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
Ok found the perfect dyno for you for your dp question! 9hp and 5ft/lbs of torque. Check it out. Scroll down to the 2nd dyno graph and it compares only changing the dp, that is an awesome dp btw..not biased or anything lol

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-d...ven-gains.html
Impressive... that is pretty solid evidence. Maybe next time

My 3-port and HFC have shipped so I will be installing next week

(Oh, and the use of "soccer" was just to make sure you American boys and girls didn't get confused. To me is is "football", cos we actually use our feet quite a lot! )
Old October 17th   #14
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Sweet! 3-port helps hold boost to redline muuuuuch better.

Yeah Yeah whatever foreigner lol
Old December 2nd   #15
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

So I had Wayne tune the Evo after fitting my HFC and 3 port boost controller. Wayne put in a lot of hours to get it running smooth. First attempt caused the AWC to cut out. Boost spike I think. Got that fixed and had a fair bit of fun doing 3rd and 4th gear pulls. Wayne set the SES light to flash when it encountered knock, and we never did get rid of it all.

Next step is to fit a wideband and do some more logging.

Does anyone have a Tactrix cable I can borrow or buy? Seems a waste to pay retail when I will probably use it once or twice.

Jim M.
Old December 2nd   #16
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Glad to hear you got it all tuned. I don't think it's possible to get rid of ALL the knock. I don't have the cable though. Maybe someone will chime in and let you use one. Also just curious. Have you raised your idle any? If not, have you ever had a low bouncy idle after the car is hot?
Old December 2nd   #17
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
Glad to hear you got it all tuned. I don't think it's possible to get rid of ALL the knock. I don't have the cable though. Maybe someone will chime in and let you use one. Also just curious. Have you raised your idle any? If not, have you ever had a low bouncy idle after the car is hot?
I haven't changed idle speed, but it has always idled pretty steady. I will watch it for a bit. I am not sure what it idles at hot. 800 to 1000 I think.

Do you monitor knock on yours?
Old December 3rd   #18
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Quote:
I haven't changed idle speed, but it has always idled pretty steady. I will watch it for a bit. I am not sure what it idles at hot. 800 to 1000 I think.

Do you monitor knock on yours?
Ok just curious. There is a known oil pressure issue when the idle gets low (704 normally, dropping to 500 area) and causes wear on the exhaust cam bearings, but you would know if it happened. It's like the car is about to die and you have a large cam. Here is a good write up on it. http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55687
If you aren't having the problem though I wouldn't worry, but I just raised my idle to keep the oil pressure a little higher at the head.

I do a couple logs every now and then and look at knock, boost, fuel trims, etc.
I get a random count of 1 and maybe 2 every now and then, but nothing that is consistent or above a 2 count.
Old December 13th   #19
Yoo Shin
Yoo Shin
has no status.

How's your clutch holding up? Mine is doing great, though I went ahead and picked up a cmc. I'm hoping to upgrade FMIC and tbe after Christmas so I think it'll def be needed.
Old December 13th   #20
nine3shoof
nine3shoof
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoo Shin View Post
How's your clutch holding up? Mine is doing great, though I went ahead and picked up a cmc. I'm hoping to upgrade FMIC and tbe after Christmas so I think it'll def be needed.
Clutch itself is fine, but as noted in the clutch thread, CMC blew. That has distracted me from tuning, but I do have a tactrix cable on my Christmas list
I am seeing some knock and sometimes it runs rough at WOT so it makes me a bit nervous pushing it at the moment.

I am probably going to order an Innovative digital wideband also, but the CMC is consuming those funds for now.

Anyone use one of these?