Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Site Related Discussions

Site Related Discussions Have an idea to make the site better? Having problems? Look in here

Old September 22nd   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

So what's up with HCS lately?

Where's the pictures? Why are events being cancelled? Where's the models section?

Well, that last one won't be addressed here.

Okay, so here's what's going on. HCS has grown in the last two years to a size that I didn't anticipate until it was five years old. It exceeds every local site in terms of traffic and ranking in all the major search engines and web site rankings. This is a good thing, kinda.

One of the worst problems for small business (which I learned from a free conference at the Huntsville Chamber of Commerce) is growing too fast. Well, that's kinda happenned here.

The business plan and projected income statement for HCS that I made up a few months before I quit my job to launch HCS indicated that if the traffic levels grew for HCS like they did for hsv.streetracing.org, then by the end of the year HCS could break even. But that also meant I had to cover the costs out-of-pocket until it broke even.

Well, to get the attention of big advertisers, HCS required much more traffic that it had with hsv.streetracing.org. And this is even though hsv.streetracing.org was one of the top ten visited sites in the whole streetracing.org domain.

Well, HCS was growing, so I let it continue to grow. But with growth came new expenses, solutions to new problems of scalability, and a lot more investment of time than originally anticipated.

So the end result is that now that HCS has the ability to expose almost 300 companies with great advertising and sponsorship packages, I personally don't have the time to get out there and sell. Thus no real income.

So that leaves HCS with high expenses and no income. And remember who was funding HCS until it broke even? Oh yeah, that was ME!

It's time to restructure HCS to get it back on track financially before it breaks me even. But that takes some serious time and even more investment of money. And that's where all my time is going lately.

I was hoping to make to the end of the season before I had to make this move, but it's too much to put off any longer.

Hopefully, this restructuring process will happen smoothly in the next few months and a shiny new HCS will emerge ready to make 2007 the best year ever in the history of the local car and bike scene.

I would like to personally thank each and every one of you for taking the time to visit HCS and make it what it is today. And I hope you will continue to visit and help shape the future of HCS.

"Yeah, yeah, so where are the pictures?" The pictures are uploaded and ready to be sorted and processed for publishing. Processing for publishing is the most time consuming process since it requires the viewing each picture, now numbering almost 7000. This will probably take about 25 hours of work to process. I'm not sure if I'll have any time like this soon. It only takes one totally free weekend for it to happen, so it's not as far fetched as it seems. It will all depend on the number of events going on, as coverage has priority over publishing.

"Yeah, yeah, so why are events being cancelled?" Events take time and money. Both of these resources are better applied to the restructuring discussed above. Events will resume when restructuring is complete. More than likely, as a result there will even be more events.

"I know you weren't going to answer this, but where's the models section?" Well, it doesn't exist, yet. It's one of the many items on the HCS "todo" list. One of the goals of restructuring is to complete this list. Stay tuned.
Old September 22nd   #2
Impala_style
Impala_style
has no status.

So, what in the real world can those of us, who do support you, do to hellp out?
Impala_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd   #3
MADEWELL
MADEWELL
has no status.

Thumbs up

Hey , thanks for posting this. I dont know about anyone else and I know im fairly new to here and just now getting back into the car scene ,but I was getting a little worried about you and HSC. Glad to hear its going in a postive way.

05 SRT-4
97 GST
03 R6
MADEWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd   #4
CADster
CADster
has no status.

many have said (including me) that this has grown beyond one person.

hopfully the restructure will include a sharing of responsibility.
Old September 23rd   #5
supergeek
supergeek
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to supergeek Send a message via MSN to supergeek Send a message via Yahoo to supergeek
dido

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADster

dido on that

Geeks rule the world, why not work for one?
-=Have you left your mark?=-
._-= www.leftmymark.com =-_.
supergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_style
So, what in the real world can those of us, who do support you, do to hellp out?
The main issue right now is money. The lack of it is preventing things from happenning. It's also necessary to pay the bills.

Money comes from advertisers or sponsors. While we have a few, we still need many more. Any companies you meet that seems like they'd be a good fit, pass them info on the site. As some of the newer site structure comes into place, HCS will be able to act on these much more quickly and get them on board.

Individual contributions always help, but I'd rather see you guys put that money in your vehicles. Visiting the site lets the advertisers know you care, and that counts for a lot.
Old September 23rd   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:

It's not as simple as handing it over to other people.

HCS was founded on a vision--a vision few can see. And those that I've met that see it completely are as busy as I am, if not busier. It's simply tough to find the right cantidates, especially when you don't have time to sleep.

That being said, HCS will be seeking the talent of established, reliable, and cost effective outsourced resources that fit the HCS vision. Look for annoucements on this as early as Monday.
Old September 23rd   #8
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
The main issue right now is money. The lack of it is preventing things from happenning. It's also necessary to pay the bills.

Money comes from advertisers or sponsors. While we have a few, we still need many more. Any companies you meet that seems like they'd be a good fit, pass them info on the site. As some of the newer site structure comes into place, HCS will be able to act on these much more quickly and get them on board.

Individual contributions always help, but I'd rather see you guys put that money in your vehicles. Visiting the site lets the advertisers know you care, and that counts for a lot.
and when visiting one of the advertisers, let them know you are there because they adv. with HCS or donate door prizes or whatever the case may be. Make them feel that the only reason you are doing business with them is that you saw their adv. on HCS.
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #9
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagoGarda
and when visiting one of the advertisers, let them know you are there because they adv. with HCS or donate door prizes or whatever the case may be. Make them feel that the only reason you are doing business with them is that you saw their adv. on HCS.
You know, I've never been one to blow smoke up anyone's...well... I just want to let it be known that I truely have done business with places, or I have sent people to places solely because they were sponsors of this site. I don't know if they ever told the businesses that they were sent there as a result of their advertising from this site, but wherever I go I let them know.
Old September 23rd   #10
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
how bout a HCS donation event or something like that?...it would seem to make sense to raise oney to help out the local scene...I think a lot of people would be down w/ that

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2loS10
how bout a HCS donation event or something like that?...it would seem to make sense to raise oney to help out the local scene...I think a lot of people would be down w/ that
That's a thought, but the profit margins on events is much less than advertising. In fact, every event HCS has put on this year has been at a loss, even when you count the proceeds from the 50/50 and sticker sales.

These are simply some larger bills that can only be paid by businesses or someone with deep pockets.

And besides, I'd rather see someone get a new intake or a piece for their vehicle that they've always wanted as opposed to spend that supporting HCS financially. The activity on here shows the public that this is the place for their advertising dollars to be.
Old September 23rd   #12
CADster
CADster
has no status.

Quote:
It's not as simple as handing it over to other people.
true. but as my dad always says - some help is better then no help.

and im willing and wanting to offer my help. just let me know what i can do
Old September 23rd   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
true. but as my dad always says - some help is better then no help.
I've learned that the wrong help is worse than no help at all. I have some hefty bills from experiences like that.
Quote:
and im willing and wanting to offer my help. just let me know what i can do
You're doing a good part of it already--staying active on HCS, putting together meets and events, and helping me keep on top of events are the best anyone can do to help.
Old September 23rd   #14
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
Quote:
That's a thought, but the profit margins on events is much less than advertising. In fact, every event HCS has put on this year has been at a loss, even when you count the proceeds from the 50/50 and sticker sales.

These are simply some larger bills that can only be paid by businesses or someone with deep pockets.

And besides, I'd rather see someone get a new intake or a piece for their vehicle that they've always wanted as opposed to spend that supporting HCS financially. The activity on here shows the public that this is the place for their advertising dollars to be.

I was lookin for a hooters bikini car wash out of this lol...

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2loS10
I was lookin for a hooters bikini car wash out of this lol...
Someone talk to Ron and see if they're willing to do it. I definitely don't mind some donation money.
Old September 24th   #16
CADster
CADster
has no status.

hey samir... what are the chances of getting a paypal option to buy photos ?

Quote:
I've learned that the wrong help is worse than no help at all.

some help dont mean bad help

you got a lot of people here who want to help... use the offers to your advantage

Last edited by CADster; September 24th at 07:47 PM.
CADster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
hey samir... what are the chances of getting a paypal option to buy photos ?
Good suggestion. I'll pass it onto the company that handles all that and see what they say.
Quote:
you got a lot of people here who want to help... use the offers to your advantage
I'll continue to ask for help in the areas I know the work can be done just as well as myself. Help isn't any good to me if I have to come back afterwards and redo stuff.
Old September 25th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I just finished some research on the paypal request. Seems like they won't be implementing it anytime soon. They've found paypal to just be too unsafe and risky. One of the principles in the company had their account closed and emptied without reason and warning. And apparently he's not the only one: www.paypalsucks.com
Old September 25th   #19
CADster
CADster
has no status.

eh.. oh well.

good thing you took a pic of my sons toy car with him in the background.... wifee had to have that one and she pulled the credit card out for it...

so i just slipped a few more photos in..... HAHAHA...

Last edited by CADster; September 25th at 06:34 PM.
CADster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th   #20
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

paypal

my one and only expierence with those folks did not end plesantly
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote