Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Site Related Discussions

Site Related Discussions Have an idea to make the site better? Having problems? Look in here

View Poll Results: How Much Have You Spent on Your Special Vehicle(s)?
0-$5,000 45 17.18%
$5,000-$10,000 41 15.65%
$10,000-$20,000 59 22.52%
$20,000-$30,000 34 12.98%
$30,000-$40,000 27 10.31%
$40,000-$50,000 13 4.96%
$50,000+ 43 16.41%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15th   #101
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

Still a civic though lol. I mean I don't have a Porch, but you know lol. I would say i'm 80% performance, 20% comfort and styling oriented. Or maybe not who knows lol but no way could I drive a RHD car. I can't even whipe my a$$ with my left hand much less change gears hahaha
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th   #102
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
Still a civic though lol. I mean I don't have a Porch, but you know lol. I would say i'm 80% performance, 20% comfort and styling oriented. Or maybe not who knows lol
I'd rock a Civic any day of the week, especially one that has $25k in it and done right. My style is form following function. Sometimes this looks odd, but usually it looks right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPEVOX View Post
but no way could I drive a RHD car. I can't even whipe my a$$ with my left hand much less change gears hahaha
Hey! Hey! Hey! Easy on those references! The kids don't need to know that.

RHD cars definitely take getting used to, but I think it's the shifting that's really hard. Everything else is just a mirror except the shift pattern. That would be the hard part--trying to remember that 1st is where 5th would be in a mirrored cockpit.
Old January 15th   #103
HPEVOX
HPEVOX
is getting smoother

I guess it just depends on what the vehicle is used for. A pure track car, yeah i'd throw 25k in anything to make it go fast, but still like to have something that's not in every parking lot you see if i'm driving it around on the weekends and racing it sometimes. Think that's why i decided on the evo. Hard to beat that amount of performance and potential for the price and you don't see one..well ever.. around here. Didn't get it for the purpose of "oh man it's an evo" though because most ppl around here are like. "What is that? Turbo lancer?" LOL I'm just like yeah it is.
Honda group don't think i'm hating etiher lol i rock a baby blue honda civic as the dd. My baby
HPEVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th   #104
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'm not thinking a pure track car. More like $15k in drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc, and $10k in interior, audio, and creature comforts like heated seats.

I can understand that. I think having something unique is a core part of the enthusiast hobby. We all like something slightly different than the crowd, something that stands out--sometime subtly, sometimes not so subtle at all. But either way, it's uniquely ours.
Old November 23rd   #105
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

I want to know where all of these $50k vehicles are at.
A_Cryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th   #106
DreDay256
DreDay256
is doing stereo upgrades..

I've had maybe over a dozen people say $50k in mods to my car- paint, suspension, stereo, etc. Its possible if I'd pay full retail for items, full cost on work/ labor, etc. My car is a lil above avg though for our area. lol
Most people who say they have 20, 30 or 50k in their rides are either lying, exaggerating or got raped.

Bagged '06 Dodge Magnum R/T "WICKED WAYS"
-4 Fi SP4 18's (4th Order), 2 Fi SSD 10's (midbass), 4 Diamond Audio D6 Comp Sets, 1pr. Crescendo FT-1 SuperTweets
-Dual Alts -6 XS Power Batts
-4 Crescendo BC3500d's (subs), 1 Crescendo BC2000d (10's), 1 Crescendo c1100.4 (comps)
DreDay256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th   #107
GrantH
GrantH
aka GrantYoungPhotography
Huntsville Car Scene Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreDay256 View Post
I've had maybe over a dozen people say $50k in mods to my car- paint, suspension, stereo, etc. Its possible if I'd pay full retail for items, full cost on work/ labor, etc. My car is a lil above avg though for our area. lol
Most people who say they have 20, 30 or 50k in their rides are either lying, exaggerating or got raped.
I disagree whole-heartedly when a engine rebuild is 2k+ and a 4 link still runs 500 itself. Coilovers run 1k+ and that's bare bones half quality stuff.

I've got 3k in suspension, 2k in my motor just stock rebuilt 22r, 4k+ in my frame, and i'll have 3k+ in my interior, 3k+ in paint....

20k on a build is CHEAP. Bartering works if you have something of value to the person doing the work. Most times people want cash money. You also can't wait for a sale to happen at your local interior or paint shop, those guys are craftsman and a good one doesn't budge on price simply to get another job. The good ones don't need your car to stay in business.
GrantH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th   #108
DreDay256
DreDay256

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
I disagree whole-heartedly when a engine rebuild is 2k+ and a 4 link still runs 500 itself. Coilovers run 1k+ and that's bare bones half quality stuff.

I've got 3k in suspension, 2k in my motor just stock rebuilt 22r, 4k+ in my frame, and i'll have 3k+ in my interior, 3k+ in paint....

20k on a build is CHEAP. Bartering works if you have something of value to the person doing the work. Most times people want cash money. You also can't wait for a sale to happen at your local interior or paint shop, those guys are craftsman and a good one doesn't budge on price simply to get another job. The good ones don't need your car to stay in business.
Everything you just listed still has you in the 15k range & thats including an engine rebuild that alot of people dont do if they dont HAVE to. When people say their in the 30k range, their full of it. Unless it a ground up restoration. If your putting 3k in an interior, you must be doing gator throughout b/c outta 6 full interiors I've had done, I've never had a bill near 3k. You might wanna get to know some locals.. ijs.
For an example, I went to an upholstry shop on Oakwood (forgot the name & they didnt have a visable sign) to check the price on JUST 2 front seats. They told me 1000.00 & I ALREADY HAD THE MATERIAL! I just gave them a blank stare & turned around. Needless to say, I got the seats done for 1/4 of that & they look awesome.
I have 10k in just my paint, but thats rare for our area & the most I've ever spent on paint. Normally I stay in the 3-4k range for paint.

-4 Fi SP4 18's (4th Order), 2 Fi SSD 10's (midbass), 4 Diamond Audio D6 Comp Sets, 1pr. Crescendo FT-1 SuperTweets
-4 Crescendo BC3500d's (subs), 1 Crescendo BC2000d (10's), 1 Crescendo c1100.4 (comps)
Old November 29th   #109
GrantH
GrantH

Quote:
Everything you just listed still has you in the 15k range & thats including an engine rebuild that alot of people dont do if they dont HAVE to. When people say their in the 30k range, their full of it. Unless it a ground up restoration. If your putting 3k in an interior, you must be doing gator throughout b/c outta 6 full interiors I've had done, I've never had a bill near 3k. You might wanna get to know some locals.. ijs.
For an example, I went to an upholstry shop on Oakwood (forgot the name & they didnt have a visable sign) to check the price on JUST 2 front seats. They told me 1000.00 & I ALREADY HAD THE MATERIAL! I just gave them a blank stare & turned around. Needless to say, I got the seats done for 1/4 of that & they look awesome.
I have 10k in just my paint, but thats rare for our area & the most I've ever spent on paint. Normally I stay in the 3-4k range for paint.
That was a (really) short list to make a point. Just calling out the normal costs puts me/you/them/whoever it may be at 15k. Then, what about power adders, sheet metal work (done correctly, mind you), audio, and then the details that no one really knows about until you put focus to them?

You are getting a hell of a deal at 3-4k for paint. Maybe I need to revisit some shops because last I was quoted on show paint for my truck was closer to 8k. Interior being leather or similar, to cover console, seats, panels, and sound...easily 3k from my research over the years, which is why my truck still doesn't have it lol. I've got 40+ hours in sheet metal work I could point out in 5 minutes walking around my truck. Honestly, the bed work I want done would probably run up 40 on it's own, and with the shop I'd let touch it charging nothing shy of 65/hr, thats 2400+ in the bed work alone.

Whether people have lied on here is up for judgement, but if car cost is involved, I wouldn't jump to doubt the pricing.

The difference in cost comes down to quality in the end, and I have seen some awesome cars around town.
Old November 29th   #110
DreDay256
DreDay256

Lol. Well none of mine have been rust buckets that need extensive body work. As we know, body work will run that bill up quick.
I understand you thinking of revisiting some shops but honestly, their probably gonna be about the same as they were before. Sounds like you need to look at different shops/ people. Gotta look off the beaten trail. Like my interior guy works at Rod's but does his own work on the side. A lot of times its who you know, sadly.. lol.

If you'd like me to get you in touch w/ my interior guy, just let m know. He does great work.

Old November 29th   #111
GrantH
GrantH

Quote:
Lol. Well none of mine have been rust buckets that need extensive body work. As we know, body work will run that bill up quick.
I understand you thinking of revisiting some shops but honestly, their probably gonna be about the same as they were before. Sounds like you need to look at different shops/ people. Gotta look off the beaten trail. Like my interior guy works at Rod's but does his own work on the side. A lot of times its who you know, sadly.. lol.

If you'd like me to get you in touch w/ my interior guy, just let m know. He does great work.
I believe you misunderstood me. I don't own a rust bucket, I own a full custom. My bed work I talked about is fully custom sheet metal work, a full new bed floor fully redesigned and built from scratch from sheet metal. I don't want someone off the beaten path, and I don't want work from someone that short changes themselves either. People that are worth their cost don't budge on that facet of their work. I'm not saying your guy is bad, but i'd rather a reputable business be the one behind the work and not just a guy.
Old November 29th   #112
DreDay256
DreDay256

Lol. No. I didn't misunderstand & I don't know if your car/ truck is a rust bucket. I've never seen it.
Going off the beaten path has built some of the baddest rides on the planet. For example- My guy does the upholtry at Rods. So why pay Rods the higher shop rate for the exact same guy to do the work that you could pay him directly for 1/2 or less than Rods shop rate? That's just not a good money decision lmao.
Too, I'm not a hot rodder & I'm not into paying 3x's what somethings worth just to say a shop did it. Nor am I into taking 10+ yrs to build a single ride. Your ride & your choice man..

Old November 30th   #113
aminga
aminga
has no status.

Send a message via MSN to aminga
Where are you guys getting an engine rebuild for 2K.
Old November 30th   #114
GrantH
GrantH

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminga View Post
Mine was actually closer to 2500 when finished, and it was just a 22r Toyota 4 banger.
Old November 30th   #115
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly
Old November 30th   #116
GrantH
GrantH

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cryer View Post
My thoughts exactly
Mine was 2400 + a couple accessories, but that was in South (Petal) Mississippi when I lived there. I was quoted 3500 elsewhere (Klarr Racing) but had heard good about the shop I had it done at (Minters Automotive Machine) so I went with them. It was a steal, as made obvious by the other pricing. Haven't had an issue with either motor that has gone through them either, had a 302 done for 2300 using "Federal" type parts. Just wanted a runner, not anything performance based.
Old December 2nd   #117
DreDay256
DreDay256

Quote:
Lol. Ask Mr. Dont-Cut-Corners...

Old December 2nd   #118
GrantH
GrantH

Quote:
Lol. Ask Mr. Dont-Cut-Corners...
Because name calling is real mature, especially after I already explained myself.

All I was saying about all of this, is I wouldn't be so quick to throw out the fact people have that much cash into their cars. While there isn't a lot of "riddler" type cars around Huntsville, there is a ton of nicely done hot rods and restos that I can see get close to that number pretty easily.

I don't believe I ever said you were wrong for doing it your way, in fact all of the work done on my truck outside of the motor HAS been done by a "home" shop, all of which I had to hawk eye for them to do correctly. Regardless of reputation, in my experience, if you take the shop out of the equation people do less quality work and don't meet deadlines. My frame, which in full is probably 7-8 grand with parts/labor/material and all was supposed to be done in 4 months and it took almost 12. Had it been a shop it may have cost me 8 grand in only metal and labor (no air ride) but it would have been done on time and possibly a touch nicer.

I'm glad your experiences are better than mine on that front, but it doesn't work for everyone.
Old December 2nd   #119
DreDay256
DreDay256

I was joking. Thus the "lol,"

Restos are usually money pits. Been there several times & vowed never again.
Hot Rods spend an ass load on work. Its immaculate when finished but takes 3 generations to complete. What fun is that? Prime example is my neighbor. He started a yr before me doing a Baracuta. Frame off resto. In 2 yrs Ive completed full custom paint w/ murals, painted wheels, custom interior w/ fiberglassing & airbrush, bagged w/ full digital controls and what many say is the loudest daily system in N. Alabama. Now I just laugh when I lift my car to ride off & look at him still cleaning his firewall & searching for rare interior pieces. lmao.

So, like I originally said, yea these 2 can definitely sink that much into a ride. But for what, I dont know. The forever builds werent for me. I wanna get it built & enjoy it. If Im putting that much into a ride Im gonna make people say "DAMN!" Not just, "Thats real nice.."

Old December 2nd   #120
A_Cryer
A_Cryer
has no status.

I'm still wanting to see all of the cars on here that has over 50k invested.