Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old August 17th   #1
badgirl69nova
badgirl69nova
shining chrome for this weekends shows...

Need your ideas

My daughter is in Chior in school. Their chior team has run into some financial issues and my husband and I brought up the idea to the teacher of having a car show to make a little bit of money for them. We offered up a few normal ideas so that she could present the idea to the school principal. We however only know the round abouts on getting a show together. We want to be able to cater to everyone though and hope that gathering a few ideas from fellow car owners will help us come up with some great ideas and bring people in to help the chior team. I am hoping that they can get some sort of approval to have it and be able to plan it for sometime in October before it gets too cold. The school has a large parking lot, and also a soccor field. There is pleanty of room for all sorts of stuff. They also have their own blow up bounce houses etc activities for children to enjoy while visiting the show. I am hoping we can turn this into a family based event. Heck I also brought up the idea of having the high school football boosters bring in a snack food trailer for the event as well. If you can think of any sponsors that might donate a few door prizes thatd be great too. We have a list but I know there are a few business owners here as well. The biggest thing I am not sure about is how to catagorize and judge the winners. Then again I am not sure how many trophy's they will be able to get and hand out either. Id like this to be open to everyone including clubs like the Corvette club, the camero club, the mustang club and so on as well as bikes, tuners, trucks, and YES even MODERN including the caprices and impalas that we have seen running around town with the huge wheels... they are all cars and everyone loves their cars in different ways. I want it to be open to muscle cars, classics, rat rods, customs, etc.... lets help make a difference

The issue is... There are kids in the school that are from families of unemployeed or displaced parents. The parents can not afford to put forward the extra money for the children to pay for their uniforms etc. These kids put on several shows a year. The chior outfits are $150 each and there are about 50 members on the team that I know of. It would be nice to help them out with theur expenses since my daughter has been a member of this choir for the last 3 years. And we all know that the schools don't have a lot of money to begin with.

Anyway, drop me a note with some of your ideas. My email is feelinfrgy26@yahoo.com or you can just reply to the thread.... Thanks for all your support and I hope we can do this so I can see all of you there.
badgirl69nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #2
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
I'm sure one of the bigger clubs like Vets with Vettes and Rocket City Mustang would love to help with this. I would love to help any way I could but business is still too slow for us to be able to help out. I know 50/50 drawings bring in money but you only get half of what comes in. If they make it a go I will for sure come and help support them . Sucks the schools systems here don't have money when they should be close if not top priority.
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #3
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

Not trying to get you way from a car show, but have yall tried selling boston butts? New Hope makes good money for our softball team with that. On a car show you basiclly just have to do like a top 10 cars and best of show and maybe one or two more trophies. We put our 1st on last month and its not easy and we are a free show. Wedidn't charge to enter , We didn't make much. Its more work they money, but they are worth it. Hope it helps.
BamaMopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

You could hire someone like showstopperz.net to produce the entire event for you, but I don't know how much that would net.

The only downfall is dates. October 1st weekend is waaaay overbooked, and the weather should still be okay for the next weekend. Consult almanac.com to see historical weather and determine if a daytime show with the sun shining will be warm enough on your date of choice. That would work really well.

The thing that I look at when something is too expensive is how to just cut the cost on the item itself. Is there a way to duplicate the uniform cheaper? Are there seamstresses that are willing to help out in the PTA or choir parents? The uniforms are probably being made overseas with cheap labor--let's put our own people back to work and make them ourselves if we can!
Old August 17th   #5
badgirl69nova
badgirl69nova

I totally agree with all thats said, Im not sure where their uniforms etc are coming from though I have seen pics, it includes everything including accessories down to shoes so that each child is dressed all alike with absolutely no differences. It seems that the teacher has put a lot of thought into it all.

As for Boston Butts... Thats a great idea but My family lives their life surrounded by cars and it was the first idea I came up with. Im prepared for the work as I have nothing else better to do than to commit my time to doing this. That is unless a job opens up somewhere but so far after many months looking even the job searching hasnt kept me busy. So if it helps kids out, and involves cars its a win~win for me and my family not to mention, we are among those families that can not afford to do this and I would love to see my daughter succeed. So I will do whatever I have to do.

I am hoping to stay away from just a vague top 10 etc. I was thinking more alongs the lines like Grissom High did for their car show at the begining of the season.

Samir, the idea of checking the alminac would be great though this weather cant be predicted anymore as strange as it is. I would have to go by the dates that the school and the school board would allow and run with that. I will keep in mind about the first weekend anyway, thanks for that tip.

I am open to most ideas still, and plan on advertising it with fliers, and face book, and more. Im not sure what the guys at showstopperz would charge but I am pretty sure thats a needless expense, we just need a couple mature adults to pull their heads together with commitment and time.

Keep the tips and ideas coming. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old August 17th   #6
NiTeZ
NiTeZ
7M-GE goes in today! :D

Send a message via Yahoo to NiTeZ
Jay Mack (showstopperz.net) isn't expensive. Infact, He is very experianced and would help anyway he could. I can talk to him and see what he could do. Which school is it exactly? I'll send him a msg on Facebook to get on here and check out this thread for ya and see where it goes. I'm sure I can get some things together for like door prizes. If you get the date, place and time set with a flier, take it to the auto parts stores and they will donate prizes. I've put on and helped put on shows and this is what I was good at. I can even talk to my sponsors and see what they can do.
NiTeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #7
badgirl69nova
badgirl69nova

i know Jay as well. Im meeting with the school soon to find out if they are even allowed to go with a fundraiser of this sort. As well Im not sure if they will be able to have any sort of budget at all for it. Which I seriously doubt.

As for sponsors and donated dorr prizes etc. My husband has volunteered to do what he can, he can talk up selling hotdogs if he needed to especially when it involves kids so I am sure he is all good for that, and I am willing to help out in anyway I can as well. We both have excellent backgrounds in knowing how to put things such as this on paper but only half knowledge about actually making it work. As for getting donations from auto parts stores thats all in the plan if we can get them to give us anything due to everyone else going to all the same places. Hubby is also gonna try to get some free oil changes and some other local auto businesses involved as well. I have found in the past that there are a lot of businesses out there that will pass out free t-shirts just to get the free advertising out there. Im just begining to make a list of all of those businesses and figured I would come here with the idea so I didnt leave anyone or anything out.
Old August 17th   #8
cruel1hemi
cruel1hemi
has no status.

Send a message via Yahoo to cruel1hemi
Like NiteZ said....Jay puts on great shows and knows what he is doing....If nothing else it wouldn't hurt to talk to him.

Member of the Board of Directors - HemiTruckClub.com
cruel1hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th   #9
badgirl69nova
badgirl69nova

Yeah, We will probably check in with his this weekend. Even if its just to pick his brain a little.
Old August 17th   #10
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Yeah, just give me a holler. E-mail me at jaymack75@gmail.com. I'm out of town this weekend covering a show, but will be back in town next weekend. I'll be glad to help you out.
Old August 17th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgirl69nova View Post
I am hoping to stay away from just a vague top 10 etc. I was thinking more alongs the lines like Grissom High did for their car show at the begining of the season.
Why would you want to do that? Ardmore and many of the larger and more popular events use a top x method and it works great.
Quote:
Samir, the idea of checking the alminac would be great though this weather cant be predicted anymore as strange as it is. I would have to go by the dates that the school and the school board would allow and run with that. I will keep in mind about the first weekend anyway, thanks for that tip.
You have to be very careful if you get handed a date that doesn't work weather or competition-wise. You CAN lose money doing a show.
Quote:
I am open to most ideas still, and plan on advertising it with fliers, and face book, and more. Im not sure what the guys at showstopperz would charge but I am pretty sure thats a needless expense, we just need a couple mature adults to pull their heads together with commitment and time.
Don't discount what a good professional organizer can do. Anyone who is already established has the connections, reputation, and knowledge to pull off a successful event. Putting on a successful show isn't easy or everyone would be doing it. I've seen hundreds of '1st Annual' events that never saw their second year.
Old August 18th   #12
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

I'm not sure a car show in this magnitude would net a large enough draw. If you do go this route, have you considered partnering with a charity and splitting the proceeds? It's been my experience that people are more willing to donate larger sums for Breast Cancer Awareness or Autism than for a particular school where they have no ties. Just a thought.

And getting with Vets with Vettes is a good idea. They have many contacts and are always about helping the community and can throw on some nice well organized events and it would probably cost you nothing but some time and help.

And Jay is also good at organizing events as mentioned above.

I think you should have a series of fundraisers along with a car show. And maybe incorporate several of these ideas.

Best of luck raising the funds your school needs.
Old August 18th   #13
BamaMopars
BamaMopars
Mopar or No car!

Also on school fund raisers make sure that if the kids help that they haven't had to many fund raisers. I think they can only be involed in 4 a year. Might check that out as well
BamaMopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th   #14
badgirl69nova
badgirl69nova

Im not sure what the rules are on the fund raising. I will have to ask when iI go speak to them this week.

Im not looking for a HUGE show, 20-30 cars would be great though, of course more is better. I also found out that their Football team is looking for ideas to raise money, I am hoping to speak to the coach as well as soon as I get in touch with him.

I'll keep ya posted!!!
For Sale: 69 Nova ~ 350 good strong running motor, needs some love but in good condition. Recent appraisal... Near Complete... Asking $11,500 (Will consider REASONABLE offers) As seen at local shows and cruise ins. Pics can be texted but its a MUST SEE TO APPRECIATE car. 256-348-9303