Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old January 11th   #21
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
That sucks, man! My boss said he saw a G35 with black/polished wheels on the side of 565 and I immediately thought of your car. Glad everything works fine and your car isn't wrecked!

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th   #22
1FLYG
1FLYG
waiting for the zombie apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
Scary stuff! What kind of tires are you running?
not sure on all specs, but i know they are Nittos. fairly new bought them around the end of november
1FLYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th   #23
GsxJawsh
GsxJawsh
Is ready for this summer!

haha on the truck issue...yeah not very fun in the rain. especially with bald nittos working against you. but im glad you and your car are ok.
Old January 12th   #24
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Dude look into Hankook V12s. I've had them for about 6 months and I love them! I haven't hardly even spun tires in the rain or wiggled like I used to do every few feet. They are a great all around tire

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th   #25
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Tires and brakes are two areas I never try to skimp. They're the only two things that literally can pay for themselves by saving yourself.

What's the best rated wet rear tire for the G/Z? I'd get a set of those, or one of the sets in the top 3. It'll be worth it for the grip. 5ft makes a huge difference in times like these. And doesn't your G deserve it?
Old January 12th   #26
ray
ray

Just from personal experience (so this is highly subjective) I have always loved having a Michelin tire in the rain. They have never let me down on any car I've driven with them. I have Pilot Sport PS2's on my Evo and I can drive nearly the same speed that I do in the dry weather. Except when I encounter huge amounts of standing water.

If you have the money I would recommend checking into some Michelin's because of the monsoon rains we get here at times.
Old January 12th   #27
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Pilot Sports came stock on my Porsche, and while they are quite good in the rain, that grip wears out quicker than the overall tire. Most tires do this, so I can't fault it, but my Bridgestone re950s handled in rain almost as well bald as the stock Goodyear Eagle GAs did will full tread. That's why I always get 950s for the Altimas. It'll probably have to be 960ASs now that the 950s are discontinued, but I won't have to worry about that until I repair the upper timing chain tentioner.
Old January 12th   #28
ray
ray

My PS2's have actually lasted for 2 years and about 4 months to this point. I have used them year round (in the AL climate) as well.

They have a 220 tread wear too.

They are getting to the point where they need to be replaced but still...they have done incredibly well. Even with "spirited" driving.

As far as rain driving, they still handle well but just don't tread water like they used to so I hydroplane in smaller puddles that weren't a problem before. But this is just due to normal wear.

Bottom line...I love them. And I bought them for the massive amounts of water that dump on our roads.
Old January 12th   #29
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes
is happy to be on US soil

Send a message via AIM to 6spd_Hayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Pilot Sports came stock on my Porsche, and while they are quite good in the rain, that grip wears out quicker than the overall tire. Most tires do this, so I can't fault it, but my Bridgestone re950s handled in rain almost as well bald as the stock Goodyear Eagle GAs did will full tread. That's why I always get 950s for the Altimas. It'll probably have to be 960ASs now that the 950s are discontinued, but I won't have to worry about that until I repair the upper timing chain tentioner.
The Bridgestone 750s/950s have been replaced by the 760s/960s. In fact, Tire Rack is showing a 970 now. I have been running 750's/760's for about 5 or 6 years. The last set of 760's I had, I got nearly 30k out of.
6spd_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th   #30
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

Sorry about your misfortune but at least you are ok, right. And Rayman Subaru > Mitsubishi Just kidding sir.
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th   #31
1FLYG
1FLYG

I will most definitely be looking into buying more reliable tires. Thanks for all the Tire ideas.

is it me, or when All of Huntsville pretty much did over its roads, it made them more slick during rain? and holds more water.

I glad they fixed most pop holes but it seems like the tar that they use to put down is real slick.
Old January 12th   #32
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

From what I can tell, the water stands on the surface a lot more since the pavement is nice and dense. I've noticed myself going along fine until I hit a new patch or road and I can feel the car lift a bit from hydroplaning.
Old January 12th   #33
6spd_Hayes
6spd_Hayes
is happy to be on US soil

Send a message via AIM to 6spd_Hayes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FLYG View Post
I will most definitely be looking into buying more reliable tires. Thanks for all the Tire ideas.

is it me, or when All of Huntsville pretty much did over its roads, it made them more slick during rain? and holds more water.

I glad they fixed most pop holes but it seems like the tar that they use to put down is real slick.
Did any of the water standing int he ditch come inside your car when you finally stopped and opened your door?
6spd_Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th   #34
ray
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan12 View Post
Sorry about your misfortune but at least you are ok, right. And Rayman Subaru > Mitsubishi Just kidding sir.
Oh I agree Subaru > Mitsubishi.

But STi > Evo is another story all together.

Old January 12th   #35
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I barely got my S2000 home today in light snow. That car is sketchy in the rain. The tire choice does not seem to matter. However, My Mini S is unflappable in almost any condition. On a 2400 lb car the Yokohama S drives are amazing.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th   #36
1FLYG
1FLYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes View Post
Did any of the water standing int he ditch come inside your car when you finally stopped and opened your door?
No i crawled over to the passenger side and got out where there was no water.

Lucky no water damage
Old January 12th   #37
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
I barely got my S2000 home today in light snow. That car is sketchy in the rain. The tire choice does not seem to matter. However, My Mini S is unflappable in almost any condition. On a 2400 lb car the Yokohama S drives are amazing.
Crazy man! Today was not an s2k day for sure.
Old January 12th   #38
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FLYG View Post
No i crawled over to the passenger side and got out where there was no water.

Lucky no water damage
Nice.
Old January 12th   #39
Wheel Fix It
Wheel Fix It
Is spinning wheels!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Glad to hear you and your ride are ok!!!
Huntsville, Al 35816
256-830-9992
Monday-Friday
8am-5pm
Wheel Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th   #40
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman View Post
My PS2's have actually lasted for 2 years and about 4 months to this point. I have used them year round (in the AL climate) as well.

They have a 220 tread wear too.

They are getting to the point where they need to be replaced but still...they have done incredibly well. Even with "spirited" driving.

As far as rain driving, they still handle well but just don't tread water like they used to so I hydroplane in smaller puddles that weren't a problem before. But this is just due to normal wear.

Bottom line...I love them. And I bought them for the massive amounts of water that dump on our roads.
My original Pilot Sports didn't last too long--just 18k, which I was told was much more than most Porsche owners. Of course, I drove them until they were corded pretty bad.

I replaced them with Continental Sportcontact's on a friend's recommendation who now owns the white r8 v10 and has used every brand of rubber out there. His recommendation was dead on as I was caught in the massive downpour last April when the tornados attacked. I was able to drive well above the speed limit when everyone else was 20 below. Very happy with this tire. The wear has also been good as I've gotten 10k out of them so far with about 50% wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes View Post
The Bridgestone 750s/950s have been replaced by the 760s/960s. In fact, Tire Rack is showing a 970 now. I have been running 750's/760's for about 5 or 6 years. The last set of 760's I had, I got nearly 30k out of.
I was wondering if they already stepped up to a 970. It's surprising they call the 750/760 a 'summer' tire, because it really does well in the rain.

Tags
crash, g35, police