Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Site Related Discussions

Site Related Discussions Have an idea to make the site better? Having problems? Look in here

Old August 13th   #1
iVolkswagen
iVolkswagen
Kraft Durch Freude

Using Google Calendar for mobile updates on events

OK this is a crazy idea but it popped into my head and I WISH it could happen but I doubt its possible to do (easily, at least).

Ok so on mobile phones like my iPhone, there is a calendar app. Welll I know many businesses use this app along with Google calendars to sync/auto-update things going on to employees that are connected to the server that sends out the events.

It's like if you go to your iPhone's calendar settings and tell it to subscribe to "ical.mac.com/ical/US32Holidays.ics"...this adds Holidays to your phone automatically.

Why I am saying this, is that it would be incredible if it was possible to put all the car-events on Google Calendars and allow people to sync up to them. That way you always know what shows are coming up and going on!
iVolkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I really like your idea, but like all data sharing systems, there's going to be headaches that may not make the outcome worth it. What I'd like to see instead is the time to install the license I have to create a mobile app for both the major phone platforms as well as install a style designed for mobile devices. That would get the data flowing to the phone. Then the next step would be some custom scripts to move the data automatically. That's the part I have no clue on how to do.

The problem all comes down to choice of platform. The Facebook lovers would hate your idea, and the Google calendar lovers would be the opposite. RSS feed readers would hate both, and visitors of HCS that love the discussions on the same page as the event listing would hate all the above.

I've been quietly researching a new platform for HCS for a few years now. And unfortunately, there's nothing out there so far that allows the ease of management and features like we have right now. The calendar is the weakest point in the vb software platform. And yet with the modifications I've made, there's nothing else that can touch it.
Old August 13th   #3
iVolkswagen
iVolkswagen
Kraft Durch Freude

Hm that's true. A step above my idea would be an iPhone/Android app that has the calendar, gallery, and forums on it But as you said, unless you know how to do it yourself....you have to hire somebody/a company. Not sure how expensive that is but I can just imagine..

Maybe one day, though! It would be interesting to just get a quote on how much getting an App made would be.
iVolkswagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

There is actually an app available for vbulletin for both phone platforms, and I was given a license as part of the beta test on it--just never had time to implement it. I think I still may have that license. It's not too difficult to set up. I just need time to set it up--like the other changes/features I've got in the pipeline for HCS.

I've looked into a custom designed site from scratch--good ones start at $10k. Maybe once there's enough advertiser revenue each year I can invest in one.

I wish the calendar had an RSS feed like the site does. The only thing it has is the ability to send out RSS when new threads are added, which happens when there's new events, but that's about it.

Hey, I just forgot about the email reminder feature for events. Have you tried using that? There's a link on the top right side on each event listing.