Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners

North Alabama Mitsubishi Owners A dedicated forum for the Mitsubishi Owners in North Alabama

Old January 9th   #1
ray
ray

Evo Interior Teardown

As some of you with Evos and other Mitsu enthusiasts know...I have had one go round with tearing down the Evo dash and interior. And now I am on round two.

No this isn't a tear down for weight reduction or to build a track Evo. It's about the d*mn HVAC system.

Long story short, the first time was due to a binding air mix knob. (I'll try to keep the sexual innuendo comments to a minimum here.)

I had to tear down the entire dash and pull this giant air mix box that sits against the firewall in the cabin of the car. This included draining coolant and evac-ing the A/C system so I could pull it.

My doctoral paper on this whole issue (very common in Evo land) can be seen here:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how...ega-guide.html

My second round has been around a month now. Another long story short, I was driving and when I came to the stop sign at the end of my neighborhood I had hot antifreeze pour onto my foot. Awesome.

So I'm in the process of tearing down at the moment and isolating this issue again (likely a busted heater core)

This is how it currently stands (before the mix box removal -- the big giant white thing)

Just keeping a few people in the loop here so I don't have to tell the same story over and over. If anyone ever has a problem related to this I can certainly help too. I know a few Evo owners in the area have issues with the HVAC controls.

If anyone needs some spare parts for this type of repair I will have a few things for sale soon. I'll post them up within the next month.
Old January 9th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Holy smack-a-hole! I can't imagine even attempting to keep track of so many parts! Kudos on doing it even the first time.

How bad is the heater core leak? When you get the core out, I'd love to see it. This was one of the parts I stocked with I was distributing radiators. I'd also like to help in figuring out the root cause and preventing this from happening again. This is one of the most expensive problems to have on a car because of the dash removal and installation labor.
Old January 9th   #3
ray
ray

Sure. You can HAVE the thing if it's busted, haha. For free even!

Yeah...the labor on something like this is about $800-$1100 because of the time for tear down and the materials that have to be removed and then put back.

And the easiest way to keep track of things...plenty of room, ziploc bags and a sharpie for labeling. Last time I did it I didn't have a single left over screw, nut or bolt.
Old January 9th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayman View Post
Sure. You can HAVE the thing if it's busted, haha. For free even!
You'll probably be surprised to hear that repairing that existing core for higher pressures may make it stronger and better than getting a new one, depending on the cause of the leak.
Quote:
And the easiest way to keep track of things...plenty of room, ziploc bags and a sharpie for labeling. Last time I did it I didn't have a single left over screw, nut or bolt.
If only the pros actually did this too...
Old January 9th   #5
Natedog
Natedog
is contemplating my next project...

Quote:
I was always told you didn't do the job right unless you had left over parts
91 Mighty Max 4x4 - Broken DD
05 Mitsubishi Lancer - "Big Wing Edition"
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th   #6
ray
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I was always told you didn't do the job right unless you had left over parts
The only time I heard this was true was with headstuds...
Old January 10th   #7
ray
ray

Update. Got the car back from the shop for evac-ing and the like.

Pulled the mix box. That is my size 12.5 shoe next to the thing for size comparison.

Old January 10th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Do you plan on taking the heater core out of that and replacing it? Or are you just going to replace the whole mix box?
Old January 10th   #9
ray
ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Do you plan on taking the heater core out of that and replacing it? Or are you just going to replace the whole mix box?
Nah I'm not replacing that whole box. The thing and all it's contents retails for like $1100 just in parts.

It was actually designed so that it breaks away into multiple pieces. I just pulled the heater core from it and that is what I am replacing.

I was pleasantly surprised to find no standing antifreeze or pools anywhere in the box. It was just a small leak around the joint with the inlet pipe and the core itself.

Just had to clean it up and I am waiting on a new one to come through from Mitsu that I just ordered today.

It will be functional soon! And I set the core aside for you to inspect. And even resell if you want (I saw that thread about the 370 trunk mat )
Old January 10th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Makes sense. Man, I wish you would've gotten in touch with me about the heater core before you bought a new one though.

I would've told you to take it to David at David's Radiator. He probably could have fixed it and pressure tested it to whatever pressure you wanted for much less than a new one. Unless the new one was like $50.
Old January 10th   #11
ray
ray

It is quite alright. It set me back around $170 but I actually got a good price from the local dealer with employee price.

I wish I would have known, but oh well! No big deal.
Old January 10th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Wow! That's pretty expensive. Should be a high quality part then. I'd go ahead and go to David's anyways to get yours repaired. Probably won't hurt to have a spare. And it should be $50 max.

I'd also take your new one there and have him pressure test it before you install it. He won't charge you anything if you repair the old one with him, and it will give you some piece of mind knowing that both are okay to install.
Old January 11th   #13
ray
ray

I will check him out and give him a call. It is about 4 miles from my work so I have no excuse really, haha
Old January 11th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I will check him out and give him a call. It is about 4 miles from my work so I have no excuse really, haha
Tell him Samir sent you. And tell him and Ellen I said hi.
Old January 11th   #15
ray
ray

Got back from doing many things but I stopped by David's Radiator. He pressure tested my new heater core for me for free (maybe because I mentioned Samir's name ) and all is good. Glad to know a NEW part works as designed, from Mitsubishi. Haha

He also said it would be around $20 to fix the old one. Sweet!
Old January 16th   #16
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

Haha, the same issue I am having with my RX-7 more or less. The FCs have notorious cold solder joints, and one of the problems is in the HVAC. I am going to have to pull the entire dash and get to work on it once I have the DSM back up and running.

I am not really looking forward to it.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th   #17
GsxJawsh
GsxJawsh
Is ready for this summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
Haha, the same issue I am having with my RX-7 more or less. The FCs have notorious cold solder joints, and one of the problems is in the HVAC. I am going to have to pull the entire dash and get to work on it once I have the DSM back up and running.

i hear that one wayyy too often with the people i talk to, but eh, it happens. i have a PS problem at the moment i cant figure out. but good luck to everyone
Old January 16th   #18
Tanro
Tanro
Rebuilding my KA24DE

I am just waiting on the machine shop lol. Its going back asap.
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post

I'd talk to David at David's Radiator. He also does AC. He's even done Vintage Air installations. Tell him Samir sent you.