Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Twickenham Auto Club 2010 Performance Driving School
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

March 19th to March 21st 06:00 PM to 05:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Friday--991 Discovery Drive, Huntsville. Saturday/Sunday--Milton Frank Stadium, 2810 15th Ave, Huntsville, AL 35805

This is one of the best driving schools in the area. In it you will learn car control, accident avoidance, performance driving, and emergency lane changes. I haven't even attended the school and the techniques I've observed and practiced have saved me from an accident on more than one occasion. I can't stress enough how much you can get out of this one weekend school. It will pay for itself many, many times throughout your driving career.

From the flyer:
"Friday, March 19 - CLASSROOM SESSION
991 Discovery Dr. - Huntsville
Corner of Discovery Dr. and Explorer Blvd.

Classroom instruction from 6:00pm to 8:30pm.
Instructors will go over safety and performance driving techniques. This session is free to anyone wishing to attend.

Saturday, March 20 - DRIVING SESSION PART 1
Milton Frank Stadium - Huntsville

Registration / Tech starts at 8am. Instruction starts promptly at 9am. 1 on 1 instruction on performance driving on a closed course in your own car. Lunch Provided. The lessons will include a hands course, kidney bean, emergency lane change, skidpad, braking control, and slalom.

Sunday, March 21 - DRIVING SESSION PART 2
Milton Frank Stadium - Huntsville

Registration / Tech starts at 9am. Course runs begin at around 10am. Apply skills learned Friday and Saturday on an Autocross style course. Runs will be timed and instructors will be available for ride alongs.

All entrants will need to bring a valid driverís license and car (please clean out any loose objects, make sure the battery is secure)."

The cost for both days is $50 and is open to anyone with a legal driver's license. Anyone younger than 19 will need a signed parental consent form. Younger drivers are highly encouraged to participate as these techniques will almost surely save them from a serious accident.

Online registration for the school is available here:
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...curyearindex=4

Online registration for the Sunday autocross only is available here:
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...curyearindex=4

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

In the many years that I've recommended this driving school to people that I've met, I still haven't had a chance to participate in it for one reason or another.

But this year I was able to go to Friday's classroom session. And boy did I learn a lot just from that. I shot video of a few of the concepts being taught by long-time racer and instructor Alan McCrispin. And this is but a sample of what was learned by the students of this course.

Austin (awebb) from Red Baron Photography not only participated in the school, but also shot photos all weekend long--"huge thanks to all the instructors, course workers, and students for making this years Twickenham Auto Club 2010 Performance Driving School a fantastic success. Look forward to doing it again next year, hopefully without the rain "

Austin is the newest photographer to join the Huntsville Car Scene staff, so give him a warm welcome the next time you see him. You'll find plenty of pictures of your car, and probably even one of yourself. And keep Austin in mind for your other photography needs as well. We'll be seeing a lot more of him around this year!

And what a showing of cars throughout the weekend. From the blue Lotus Exige that everyone wanted to drive to the 1990s Honda Accord that no one probably noticed but me, there was everything that you could imagine under the sun. In fact, at one point on Sunday the second fastest time of the day was posted by an instructor in an H-stock car. Yes, this front wheel drive car's time beat the Lotus, Evo 10, Subaru STI, and several s2000s--proving once again that you don't have to have a race car to drive well in this school.

I was able to join Austin for Sunday's autocross and saw the great turnout on the course, in spite of the rain. But inevitably the weather got much worse, and for the first time that I've ever seen, the event was cut short. Trophies were still given out under the stadium bleachers to the hearty souls who stayed after everything was put up.

All in all, it seemed like a great weekend full of great instruction and a lot of lifelong learning by the students. The techniques learned by these students will serve them every second they are behind the wheel, whether on the race course, or 565. See everyone next year!
2 members will be attending this event:

There are no replies to show.