Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Twickenham Auto Club 2011 Performance Driving School
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

April 15th to April 17th 06:00 PM to 04:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Friday--991 Discovery Drive, Huntsville. Saturday/Sunday--Milton Frank Stadium, 2810 15th Ave, Huntsville, AL 35805

This is one of the best driving schools in the area. In it you will learn car control, accident avoidance, performance driving, and emergency lane changes. I haven't even attended the school and the techniques I've observed and practiced have saved me from an accident on more than one occasion. I can't stress enough how much you can get out of this one weekend school. It will pay for itself many, many times throughout your driving career.

From the flyer:
"Friday, April 15 - CLASSROOM SESSION
991 Discovery Dr. - Huntsville
Corner of Discovery Dr. and Explorer Blvd.

Classroom instruction from 6:00pm to 8:30pm.
Instructors will go over safety and performance driving techniques. This session is free to anyone wishing to attend.

Saturday, April 16 - DRIVING SESSION PART 1
Milton Frank Stadium - Huntsville

Registration / Tech starts at 8am. Instruction starts promptly at 9am. 1 on 1 instruction on performance driving on a closed course in your own car. Lunch Provided. The lessons will include a hands course, kidney bean, emergency lane change, skidpad, braking control, and slalom.

Sunday, April 17 - DRIVING SESSION PART 2
Milton Frank Stadium - Huntsville

Registration / Tech starts at 9am. Course runs begin at around 10am. Apply skills learned Friday and Saturday on an Autocross style course. Runs will be timed and instructors will be available for ride alongs.

All entrants will need to bring a valid driverís license and car (please clean out any loose objects, make sure the battery is secure)."

The cost for both days is $50 and is open to anyone with a legal driver's license. Anyone younger than 19 will need a signed parental consent form for Saturday and Sunday's sessions. These forms will be available at the Friday classroom session. Younger drivers are highly encouraged to participate as these techniques will almost surely save them from a serious accident.

Online registration for the school is available here:
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...curyearindex=5

Online registration for the Sunday autocross only is available here:
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...curyearindex=5

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

As my second year in a row attending the classroom session, I decided to shoot even more video than I did last year. Many of the concepts taught in the class are right here for you to take a look. But they still don't compare to taking the full school, getting hands-on instruction and practice of these concepts in your own car in a closed circuit environment.

Cameron Bucy from Security Defense Solutions (www.selfdefensesolutions.net) provided an interesting and at times entertaining and eye-opening look into the world of personal security. He explained many simple techniques for personal safety that can be used by anyone at anytime. In fact, most of them are things we just aren't aware that we're doing. I shot a lot of video clips of his presentation as well.

For the first time in almost a decade of me attending events, my father joined me. He's an extremely busy man, but somehow our schedules cooincided tonight. It was good to see him in the audience learning several of the concepts that could have saved him in previous accidents.

Hopefully, one day he and I can attend the school together. The thing is though, is that my mother is the one who needs it the most. She's by far the worst driver in our family.

Several of the usual autocross suspects were also in attendance supporting the instructors and helping out.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

I missed Saturday's hands-on instruction due to other events, but I did make it Sunday for the autocross portion of the school. And what an autocross it was with almost perfect weather and a nice, long, flowing course with a technical finish. The weather was ideal, and we finished up early so there was plenty of time for additional instructor runs and trying to beat the fastest time of the day.
4 members will be attending this event:

Old April 15th   #2
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

I believe the Building name is "Quantum Research", For anyone lost tonight. Great school, run by a bunch of amazing drivers. I highly recommend it. I go every year to shake out the cobwebs.

Funny flyer. I see Leon's "Yoda", Toyota

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; April 15th at 10:29 AM.
Stephen Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Every driver in the city should attend the Friday night class since it is free. I know I will, camera in hand.
Old April 16th   #4
sychobaby
sychobaby
is not liking the cold weather

I personally enjoyed the driving school today. I was in the beginner group. I learned a lot of different ways to handle my car and really push it harder than ever before. I know there is still more to my car than I can handle right now That will come in time with more practice. The instructors were great and very patient. The food was awesome. All around great experience. I think that a driving school like this should be incorporated into every driving education in schools. I was involved in a 4 car collision several years ago. I feel that if I had the experience then that I have now, I could have possibly avoided the damaged car and injuries. My 16 year old nephew will definitely be attending this school next year. I look forward to autocross tomorrow so I can put my new skills to use!
sychobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th   #5
94FOBRA911
94FOBRA911
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sychobaby View Post
I personally enjoyed the driving school today. I was in the beginner group. I learned a lot of different ways to handle my car and really push it harder than ever before. I know there is still more to my car than I can handle right now That will come in time with more practice. The instructors were great and very patient. The food was awesome. All around great experience. I think that a driving school like this should be incorporated into every driving education in schools. I was involved in a 4 car collision several years ago. I feel that if I had the experience then that I have now, I could have possibly avoided the damaged car and injuries. My 16 year old nephew will definitely be attending this school next year. I look forward to autocross tomorrow so I can put my new skills to use!
Good to hear, wish I would have signed up. No matter what you can always learn more and continue to improve!!!

Last edited by Samir; April 16th at 11:47 PM. Reason: fixed quote
94FOBRA911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th   #6
sychobaby
sychobaby

Are you coming out today to play with us? Same place, same time. Hope to see you there!
Old April 17th   #7
sok07
sok07
has no status.

Very enjoyable autoX today. Hope all of the autoX newbies had fun, and will return.

MGB was running awesome and the little things that were taught in the driving school like the hands course really helped. Here's a in-car vid of my fastest run of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRCHg9M9XoU

Last edited by sok07; April 17th at 07:03 PM.
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It was a fun day today. Beautiful weather, A LOT of cars, and a lot of fun. The MGB looked a lot quicker--I was wondering what you had done to it. Driver mod, lol.
Old April 17th   #9
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

The back of my neck is FRIED.

I had a blast out there today and at the school too. I'm not sure if I've improved much but I felt more confident out there.

I rode with one of my instructors whose name I don't remember in the red S2000 before my last run and holy CRAP, I was holding on for dear life. His car gripped so well. And then I got in my car and ended up pushing it a little too hard and lost it but got to do a little smokey turn around and got back in it. It was fun though!
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th   #10
sychobaby
sychobaby

I had a lot fun also. It was great putting my new skills to the test. By my last run, my car was gripping wonderful! I felt like I was pushing my car a little more each time. This weekend was awesome! I have become an adrenaline junkie.
Old April 17th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh09 View Post
I rode with one of my instructors whose name I don't remember in the red S2000 before my last run and holy CRAP, I was holding on for dear life.
That was probably John Allen. He's an amazing driver and has his car set up just right.

But it's more than just car setup--it's a lot with just the driver. You guys saw that when the instructors drove your cars and showed you what they can do.
Old April 17th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I felt like I was pushing my car a little more each time.
I saw that too! You were definitely having much more confidence by the end of the day.
Old April 18th   #13
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Thanks to everyone for the great turnout. I wish we would have gotten more runs. The instructor runs take up a lot of time. I should have done the school instead of registration. I was so sloppy yesterday. My hand control was embarrassing. More seat time is the answer.
Old April 18th   #14
jeallen
jeallen
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
Thanks to everyone for the great turnout. I wish we would have gotten more runs. The instructor runs take up a lot of time. I should have done the school instead of registration. I was so sloppy yesterday. My hand control was embarrassing. More seat time is the answer.
Seat time, seat time, seat time.
Old April 18th   #15
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeallen View Post
Seat time, seat time, seat time.

You are so RIGHT John
Old April 18th   #16
jeallen
jeallen
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Freeman View Post
You are so RIGHT John
I should note that I was agreeing with Stephen's post, not commenting on his driving!

If you want to build you skills, the autocross track is a great place to do it. Everyone thinks they are fast, but autocross lets you see how fast in a controlled environment.
Old April 18th   #17
Stephen Freeman
Stephen Freeman
has no status.

Its OK my driving sucked Sunday. But I still had serious fun. Looking forward to Saturdays TVR autocross at Milton Frank. I will get that perfect run. I will get that perfect run. I will get that perfect run. I sometime get rusty on the fundamentals. Nothing like a bad race day to get me back in focus. My PAX times were pretty good. I need tires desperately. Shopping on line now.

Last edited by Stephen Freeman; April 18th at 05:11 PM.
Old April 18th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeallen View Post
If you want to build you skills, the autocross track is a great place to do it.
Yep. It's why it's my favorite car activity.
Old April 18th   #19
sychobaby
sychobaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Yep. It's why it's my favorite car activity.
It is now mine too!
Old April 18th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
It is now mine too!