Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

2013 Twickenham Auto Club Performance Driving School
Calendar: Events Calendar
lcmsp3  
March 22nd to March 24th 06:00 PM to 04:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Friday--Huntsville Hospital-Dowdle Center/Corporate University, 109 Governors Drive Room 119, Huntsville, AL 35801. Saturday/Sunday--Milton Frank Stadium, 2801 15th Ave SW, Huntsville, AL 35805

Twickenham Auto Club (TAC) will be putting on its annual Performance Driving School March 23-25. At the school you will learn car control, accident avoidance, performance driving, and emergency lane changes.

The cost is $50 for both days (Saturday and Sunday) and is open to anyone with a legal driver's license. Anyone younger than 19 will need a signed parental consent form. Younger drivers are highly encouraged to participate as these techniques will almost surely save them from a serious accident. Lunch will be provided for students on Saturday. So if you are interested in autocross or want to learn performance driving techniques please register and come on out.

If you want to attend Sunday's Autocross portion of the driving school only it is $35.

Online Registration (ending March 20th): http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...6#.UR0q0h2yCSo

Minor Waiver Form (pdf): http://teamtac.org/e107/e107_files/d...inorwaiver.pdf

Event Schedule
Friday, March 22 - Classroom Session (FREE)
  • Date: March 22, 2013*Location: Huntsville Hospital-Dowdle Center/Corporate University
    109 Governors Drive
    Huntsville, AL 35801
    *Parking Directions: http://teamtac.org/e107/e107_files/p...ay_parking.pdf
    *Schedule
    - 6:00PM - Registration
    - 7:00PM - 8:30PM - Classroom Instruction

Saturday, March 23 - Driving School
  • Date: March 23, 2013*Location: Milton Frank Stadium*[B]Lunch will be provided for students/instructors[/B*Schedule
    -8:00 AM Registration Opens
    -9:00 AM Registration Closes
    -9:10 AM Mandatory Driver's Meeting
    -9:15AM -12:00PM Morning Session
    -12:00PM - 1:00PM Lunch
    -1:00PM - 4:00PM Afternoon Session

Sunday, March 24 - Driving School Autocross
  • Date: March 24, 2013*Location: Milton Frank Stadium*Schedule
    -8:00 AM Registration Opens
    -8:30 AM - 9:45 AM Course Open for Walking
    -9:30 AM Registration Closes
    -9:45 AM Mandatory Driver's Meeting
    -10:00AM First car off

Old February 26th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you for the post! I need to get my wife signed up for this, but she only has her learner's permit for the US. She has her Indian driver's license though. Would that pass or not?
Old February 26th   #3
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

This is an awesome way to learn your car , driving techniques and auto cross all for $50. Take the class and have some fun.
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan12 View Post
This is an awesome way to learn your car , driving techniques and auto cross all for $50. Take the class and have some fun.
Yep, one of the best values around for learning how to save yourself in bad situations. It will pay for itself 10x the first time you avoid an accident.
Old March 7th   #5
lcmsp3
lcmsp3
has no status.

Only two weeks away. Friday's classroom session is free to all.
lcmsp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th   #6
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

Send a message via AIM to protek Send a message via Skype™ to protek
When do signups close?
protek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th   #7
lcmsp3
lcmsp3
has no status.

Online registration ends on March 20. We will also have on-site registration at the classroom session on Friday (March 22) and before the school starts on Saturday (March 23).
Old March 8th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Can someone who's not a minor attend with a driver's permit, or does it have to be a full license? What about an international driver's license?
Old March 11th   #9
Lat3rSS
Lat3rSS
has no status.

I Wish I could go to this. I will be out of town.
Lat3rSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lat3rSS View Post
I Wish I could go to this. I will be out of town.
It's every year about the same time, so you can plan for the 2014 school.

And keep in mind the classroom instruction Friday night is free if you can make that.

Last edited by Samir; March 11th at 09:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #11
protek
protek
is now a GTI owner.

Send a message via AIM to protek Send a message via Skype™ to protek
Will be here all 3 days!
protek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #12
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
Will be here all 3 days!
Cody you will have a blast. Let the instructor Brett drive your car and show you what it can really do
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd   #13
lcmsp3
lcmsp3
has no status.

Reminder that the Driving School Classroom session is tonight and it is FREE to attend. The classroom session will be held at the Dowdle Center.

Free parking will be at the Governer's Medical Tower parking garage.

Last edited by lcmsp3; March 22nd at 10:25 AM.
Old March 22nd   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmsp3 View Post
Reminder that the Driving School Classroom session is tonight and it is FREE to attend. The classroom session will be held at the Dowdle Center.

Free parking will be at the Governer's Medical Tower parking garage.

Thank you! I've added this to the event listing.
Old March 25th   #15
sok07
sok07
has no status.

Here's the design/layout for the Sunday Driver's school autoX course.

All of the students that participated in the 2013 did a phenomenal job the entire weekend. Proof is in the times and results...stark lack of dnf's (did not finish course) and the improvement in times throughout the day. The first 4 times are during the morning session and conditions were 65-degF and an intermediate to dry course. The last 2 times were during the afternoon session in full wet conditions and 50-degF. The students were lucky this year and had the whole spectrum of surface conditions during both the driving school on Saturday and the Sunday slalom.

Video of the course (full wet conditions)...
2013 TAC Performance Driving School - #79 XSTR

Last edited by sok07; March 25th at 11:49 PM.
sok07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Sounded like a great school!

Embedded version of the video.
Old March 26th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

And holy cow that course was quick! What time of time did you score on that run? I heard one cone.
Old March 26th   #18
TGR 96
TGR 96
My name is Chip

Good gosh, I can't believe I missed this! I guess that's what I get for not getting on the forum more often! LOL
Old March 26th   #19
sok07
sok07
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
And holy cow that course was quick! What time of time did you score on that run? I heard one cone.
I looked back after I finished...that cone was still upright. I guess I hit it just right and it bounced against the pointer cone and stayed upright.

I designed to course to bring together all of the lessons from saturday that were taught to the students, but also try to make it challenging to the pro drivers. This year we had all of the pro/experienced drivers line up in grid on one side and all of the students lined up on the other. This gave the opportunity for all of the students to ride with the pros first to get a look on the course at speed. Also many instructors got a chance to ride along w/ the students throughout the day. It worked out to be a great format. Evidently all of the students got the hang of it quickly and enjoyed it. Impressed by how quickly they learned and became acquainted to the course. I put a few gotchas into the course that required students to look up and ahead in order not to dnf. at the end of the day very few dnfs from students....which was very impressive. Everybody had fun!
Old March 26th   #20
sok07
sok07
has no status.

Maybe a better image of the course.

3 lane changes into the high speed sweeper was a thrill. Sweeper after the lane change allowed you to gently roll on full throttle...if you wanted to. I know the spyder was bouncing off the rev limiter heavily in 2nd....had to shift into 3rd for that section. then gently and firmly a bit of braking to set up on the decreasing radius turn. Long flowing and tight slaloms allowed you to find that nice rhythm and got students to feel all four contact patches slide and claw for traction...very rewarding if you did it just right. Many students seemed to get and apply all of the lessons learn effectively.

Last edited by sok07; March 26th at 10:37 AM.