Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old November 13th   #1
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Rocket City Motorsports Park

FEEDBACK NEEDED ASAP!

As part of his State of the City speech on November 9, 2011, Mayor Battle asked listeners to imagine a future where 428-acre John Hunt Park becomes a southern version of New York's Central Park. This vision includes an outdoor concert venue, exercise trails, and a new stadium for football, soccer, and lacrosse. The vision does not include TAC and other car clubs--despite the fact that TAC and other car clubs have been using JHP for Autocross and car events for 40 years.

No consideration was given to any of the clubs that use that tarmac for motorsports. Our car community operates quietly and goes unnoticed by the decision makers. We must turn this around.

On November 10, my wife and I met with the Sports Commission on behalf of TAC and TVR. They made clear that repairs to the crumbling pavement at JHP are not planned. In discussion regarding our other venue, Milton Frank Stadium, we learned that construction on new dressing areas is planned--and might begin before the next football season. So, Milton Frank is not only difficult to book and unreliable, it may also become a tire-destroying construction zone.

I pitched an idea to them…a dedicated motorsports facility: Rocket City Motorsports Park. The Rocket City Motorsports Park would be a location that could host any number of events, from Autocross and car shows to Motocross races. We would need a large, unobstructed expanse of asphalt and an area to conduct races in the dirt. The Sports Commission was intrigued by the idea.

The Sports Commission asked me to provide them with numbers. How many car clubs would use such a venue? How would the Rocket City Motorsports Park impact the local economy? Would the car club collective be willing to help with some of the costs?

I need feedback from the entire HCS community. Over the next few weeks, I plan to visit as many local car clubs as possible to get specific facts and figures as well as any ideas that would further the effort to create a permanent home for motorsports in Huntsville. Please send suggestions to feedback@rocketcitymotorsportspark.org

Last edited by G_Horneck; November 13th at 06:49 PM.
G_Horneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th   #2
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

show them numbers from other cities.i.e what kind of economic impact a motorsports park has a specific city/community. how much tax revenue it brings in. i wish you much luck onthis ,but huntsville has always been a ball and stick town. prob always will
b.a.king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th   #3
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

and i don't mean to be negative,i'll help anyway i can!!!
Old November 13th   #4
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

It would be great to have something like that local - I've always wanted to take a crack at the Dunlap Track off Wal-Triana. I know it is private, but man what a track they have!!!
Old November 13th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

So glad to hear someone bringing this up again. This was one of the first major discussions on HCS, and there's a lot of valuable information in that thread:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=85

I just re-read the thread and think you definitely need to get in touch with Yellowhammer. He is one of the founding members of the Crow Mountain Hillclimb and has a vast amount of knowledge that he's willing to share.

The demand for such a facility will definitely take some legwork to figure out, especially considering a lot of the organizations that use other facilities such as TGPR in lieu of having a local site.

And don't forget the motorcycle organizations as well. There's quite a few riders that hit Barber on a regular basis for events there, as well as WERA who I know comes to the area every so often.

A project like this requires scene unity, which is something I've talked about before. There's so much we can do if we just start communicating and working together!

From the movie Braveheart:
"You all are so busy squabbling for scraps from Longshank's table that you've missed your God given right for something better." "If we unite, we can win, and if we win, we can have something that none of us have ever had before--a country of our own."

HCS edit:
We all are so busy squabbling for motorsports venues that we've missed our God given right for something better. If we unite, we can have something that none of us have ever had before--a motorsports facility of our own.

But I alone cannot unite the clans (local organizations). We must learn to work together. There cannot be someone like me or G_Horneck constantly having to do the legwork. It's like constantly pulling teeth...
Old November 14th   #6
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Good read Samir. How old was that thread?

This is the model I have always thought was perfect. Granted they are close to a major metro area, but they had this figured out years ago - http://www.etownraceway.com/

Honestly... if we had received a "we will take it under advisement", "what are you nuts?", or any other brush off from the Sports Commission, I would not be pursuing this. They were truly interested in the idea, and asked for facts and figures. There is a 1/4 Midget track, quite the little facility that cost big money. That facility is a single use venue, and not used very often. Its leased from the City. This can happen.
Old November 14th   #7
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

It seems to me that you already have a dragstrip located here with owners that would probablly entertain the idea of selling. It is already located on a large lot with expansion field land all around it. Might be able to get a great head start with something that already started
Old November 14th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
It seems to me that you already have a dragstrip located here with owners that would probablly entertain the idea of selling. It is already located on a large lot with expansion field land all around it. Might be able to get a great head start with something that already started
Ummm...you mean the dragstrip that can't run past midnight anymore and is threatened every day by encroaching housing developments?

Check out this discussion and the video of a city council meeting where a real-estate developer basically shut down the ability for the dragstrip to do events like Midnight Madness:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=979
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...94158685942673

There's no hope for that facility. It's days are numbered due to all the housing around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
Good read Samir. How old was that thread?

This is the model I have always thought was perfect. Granted they are close to a major metro area, but they had this figured out years ago - http://www.etownraceway.com/

Honestly... if we had received a "we will take it under advisement", "what are you nuts?", or any other brush off from the Sports Commission, I would not be pursuing this. They were truly interested in the idea, and asked for facts and figures. There is a 1/4 Midget track, quite the little facility that cost big money. That facility is a single use venue, and not used very often. Its leased from the City. This can happen.
I believe that thread may be from 2005 while the dragstrip thread I posted above is from 2006

Englishtown has definitely got it figured it, and I believe that is a municipality-owned facility similar to the quarter midget track here.

There's quite a bit of information needed--the economic impact of car and bike enthusiasts in the area (feasibility study), the operational aspects of the project (who's going to run the thing and book events?), and the financial details (how much will it cost and how will it be paid for?). And I'm sure this would be just the start.
Old December 4th   #9
sychobaby
sychobaby
is not liking the cold weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.a.king View Post
show them numbers from other cities.i.e what kind of economic impact a motorsports park has a specific city/community. how much tax revenue it brings in.
This is basically what it will come down to. I am in to help with whatever I can do. We will have to prove to the city council how the city of Huntsville or Madison County will benefit from a Motorsports Park. Bottom line, it is all about money. Is there anyway we can set up a meeting somewhere and brainstorm on this idea??? I am sure there are several people out there with some great ideas that will not post on here for various reasons. We can bombard the city council at a meeting and give our side of it. Can you imagine if at least 100 of us show up? Wow!
sychobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th   #10
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Yes! Brainstorm meeting is a must. We have over 60,000 car enthusiasts in the area. Conservative $1,000 a year spent on car... stuff, events, whatever. $60 million, min. How much do we have into our cars collectively, hundreds of millions.
Old December 4th   #11
b.a.king
b.a.king
old,fat grumpy

it was brought up about englishtown, .i looked and could not find,who owns it?? the city,a corp,private party?and with this i'll add , if and i said if the city does the cruise in down town this would be a perfect time to show the city leaders how many enthusist and how well behaved they are:
Old December 4th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sychobaby View Post
This is basically what it will come down to. I am in to help with whatever I can do. We will have to prove to the city council how the city of Huntsville or Madison County will benefit from a Motorsports Park. Bottom line, it is all about money. Is there anyway we can set up a meeting somewhere and brainstorm on this idea???
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Horneck View Post
Yes! Brainstorm meeting is a must. We have over 60,000 car enthusiasts in the area. Conservative $1,000 a year spent on car... stuff, events, whatever. $60 million, min. How much do we have into our cars collectively, hundreds of millions.
This is what the purpose of the summit meeting are--to bring these type of projects to the scene to garner the support to make them reality. But the summit meetings haven't happened like I've envisioned. I'm staring at the folder from across the room with all the information from the first event last February. I can't personally bring everyone together to make these types of ideas feasible. I'm willing to do my part, but I can't do it all. It's going to require a lot of support and infrastructure behind a united front. And we need the scene all on the same page and working together to make visions like this a reality.

I forgot to follow up with you on this on Saturday Gary. We definitely need to get these two projects both rolling together as I see one helping the other and both benefiting everyone.
Old December 4th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sychobaby View Post
I am sure there are several people out there with some great ideas that will not post on here for various reasons.
Do you know these people and what the reasons are? This also needs to be addressed. I created this place to be a hub for us, and if people aren't going to use it then I'm wasting my time.
Old December 9th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Here's an interesting track concept in Indiana that will be opening soon:
http://www.putnampark.com/wp/theclub/theclub.html
Old December 9th   #15
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Several people have approached me with the Country Club model for a motorsports park. Not quite what I had in mind for a community project though.
Old December 9th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Interesting. I didn't think there would be support for this type of thing here.
Old December 9th   #17
G_Horneck
G_Horneck
has no status.

Yes. Southern TN sites. "call the park and have my - Gallardo LP 570-4 Spyder Performante, brought from the garage to the paddock for me. I'm flying in now. No wait... lets drive the old GT2 that's in the back of the garage this week just for laughs"

Last edited by G_Horneck; December 9th at 12:19 PM.
G_Horneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th   #18
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Not sure how i missed this until now. Not really sure what I can do to help but I'd be willing to donate some time to do research and crunch some numbers.
Old December 9th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'd like to live on the planet those guys do...sounds so nice
Old December 11th   #20
hospowr
hospowr
is enjoying retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
...there's Huntsville Speedway. Also, the old brick-yard on South Parkway would also be an ideal place.

It would be great to have a Motorsports Park located in or near Huntsville.
hospowr is offline   Reply With Quote