Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old May 15th   #1
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Show fees & times

This is just my opinion and thoughts: I like the fee schedule for the Huntsville event on May 20th. It is affordable and reasonable. $15 first vehicle, $10 each additional vehicle, and $5 non-judged vehicles.

It includes a fee for non-judged vehicles. There are many of us that like to attend events to socialize, view other special vehicles, purchase event t-shirts & caps, check out swap meets, eat, and to have our special vehicles inside the event and protected, but do not care to be judged nor get trophies or plaques.

I believe more events should include this small fee for the ones that have non-judged vehicles. The event may pick up more attendance for those special vehicles that are not show quality or ready for judging because of needed repairs, paint or new interior, but would come and pay a small fee to be part of the event. Remember, the more attendance you have, the more money is spent on food, merchandise, swap meet, 50/50, auctions, etc.

I would pay the $5 to be able to drive my special (not so perfect) vehicle, and to have inside the event and protected - but not judged. These non-judged vehicles could even be parked in their own area, for less confusion and work on the judges.

I also would like to see the events end earlier. A good time schedule to be considered: Registration from 9 to 11 a.m. (2 hours is plenty of time), judging start at 11 a.m., and awards at 2 p.m. There were many of us this past weekend that were ready to leave at 2 p.m. (in which many did!), and pacing by 3 p.m. We all had cruise-ins and/or street parties to attend that start anywhere from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

What are your opinions and thoughts on these issues? How to get our thoughts to the events’ coordinators, planners & hosts for planning their events?
1969 Ford Mustang 428 Cobra Jet
and for fun:
2016 Polaris Slingshot
http://noalcarcalendar.mysite.com/
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th   #2
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

i have always felt that way. at every moment saturday there were at least 25 or more fords and mustangs parked in the parking lot at sears . i would have even towed my HOSS to work ( very nearby ) and drove it to the show had i been able to park inside the lines.
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th   #3
CADster
CADster
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama
I also would like to see the events end earlier. A good time schedule to be considered: Registration from 9 to 11 a.m. (2 hours is plenty of time), judging start at 11 a.m., and awards at 2 p.m. There were many of us this past weekend that were ready to leave at 2 p.m. (in which many did!), and pacing by 3 p.m. We all had cruise-ins and/or street parties to attend that start anywhere from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

What are your opinions and thoughts on these issues? How to get our thoughts to the events’ coordinators, planners & hosts for planning their events?
great idea on the partial pay to not be judged.

i kinda like shows to run later, but i have not seen these 'street parties' and whatnot.

Last edited by blakdak91; May 15th at 02:34 PM.
CADster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th   #4
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

You need to explore out to different evening events and cruise-ins! They are lots of fun and relaxing. Good way to meet others. Here was the one from last Saturday:

"Then & Now" Street Festival
4th St. SE (in front of Mary Carter Paint Store)
Cullman, Alabama
3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Live Bands
Tractor Show
Clowns for kids
Food
Stores & restaurants open late
Dancers & singers
no fee - no judging
Just a good time showing off your car
and for fun:
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Old May 15th   #5
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama
This is just my opinion and thoughts: I like the fee schedule for the Huntsville event on May 20th. It is affordable and reasonable. $15 first vehicle, $10 each additional vehicle, and $5 non-judged vehicles.

It includes a fee for non-judged vehicles. There are many of us that like to attend events to socialize, view other special vehicles, purchase event t-shirts & caps, check out swap meets, eat, and to have our special vehicles inside the event and protected, but do not care to be judged nor get trophies or plaques.

I believe more events should include this small fee for the ones that have non-judged vehicles. The event may pick up more attendance for those special vehicles that are not show quality or ready for judging because of needed repairs, paint or new interior, but would come and pay a small fee to be part of the event. Remember, the more attendance you have, the more money is spent on food, merchandise, swap meet, 50/50, auctions, etc.

I would pay the $5 to be able to drive my special (not so perfect) vehicle, and to have inside the event and protected - but not judged. These non-judged vehicles could even be parked in their own area, for less confusion and work on the judges.

I think that is a good registration fee setup. I do think that the ones that do pay the non-judged fee should still be able to park with their club (if affiliated).

Personally...the longer the event the better for me. I like it when registration cuts off at noon for a day show because I get up and wash/detail my vehicle before I go to a show and by the time I am done then its time to go to the show. We'll usually roll up at about 11 or 11:30 to get registered and then we polish for the show. The reason I like it longer is that it gives me time to get my truck fine polished, and a chance to walk around, take pictures and talk to everyone before its time to rush up to the announcement booth for presentations.

I do think day shows should be over by 2 or 3 however, because when they are then it leaves time for another car show that evening...just like this past weekend with Pine View. They had a good show and it was over in time for everyone to leave, regroup, and go to 302.
Old September 21st   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's interesting that you mention fees as I've noticed some changes in fee prices in the last few years. Fees were on their way up from $20 to $25 and even $25+.

But then the economic crunch hit. And now I've seen a trend towards $15 and under. Participation is also down across the board, but certain events still have the same pull and free events have more people coming.

What have you seen?
Old September 21st   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

And I forgot to mention times. With the daytime heat pushing well over 90-100 degrees, daytime event participation fell off hard in July. It was just simply too hot. Evening cruise-ins actually did better than the daytime shows, but even their participation was off.
Old September 22nd   #8
Outlaw77lt
Outlaw77lt
is looking for an s10 or '82-92 camaro body

My ride is no where near done, but my kids and I do an event every weekend with it locally and far off like Ft. Payne and some Georgia events. I do them because it keeps the hobby alive with the next generation. I don't mind supporting the show at all, but a reduced fee would be good. Maby just having a star drawn on the windshield form for the " judged " class would be all thats needed to keep the confusion down. Interesting points for sure tho.....
Outlaw77lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd   #9
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Samir & I were discussing this past week how several have attended events this season, but came as spectators because they are not going to pay the current entry fees (referring to the $25 or more for local events). They do not feel these events are worth it. Once you pay to get in, then in most cases you also have to pay for the food. And then you are approached to purchase 50/50, etc. It can run into $$$.

In the past, when entry fees were only $10 to $15 per vehicle, we did attend an event every weekend.

But now we have limited the events that we have to pay an entry fee to one per month. Otherwise, we just attend the evening cruise-ins that have no fees. We would like to support this hobby and events, but it is getting too much.

You know what makes sense to me is that the organizers of events would encourage and have the special rides there at no cost, and then charge the spectators to come in to see the rides and talk with their builders and owners. Why is it that the owners of all these special rides have to pay to show their love to this hobby? You know we spend well enough to restore, build, modify and custom our rides.

We personally are never after any trophies or awards. We just enjoy driving our rides, cruisin together, and being around friends that like the same hobby as us. So we see no reason to have to pay to show our rides. Just my thoughts. Marsha
and for fun:
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Old September 22nd   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think one of the thing that's important for participants is it being worth their while in some form or fashion. The admiration can be obtained parking anywhere for the most part, but there has to be something more. And trophies, plaques, and such only mean something to the competitive participants. Lots of door prizes and giveaways to participants make it worth while.

A perfect example was Depot Days in Hartselle this past weekend. They were able to get $25 in registration, but included a free shirt to each participant, had reduced rates for multiple vehicles, and had $4000 in door prizes to give away. Let's do some numbers on that--even if 400 cars show up, everyone gets a shirt and on average you're going to get $10 worth of stuff. So basically you're paying only $5 if you value the shirt at $10 ($10+$10 worth of free stuff = $20). And that's if 400 cars show up. There were over 200 cars there, maybe 250. So that means $4000/250 cars = $16 on average to each participant + $10 shirt = $26 of value to each participant for $25. And that even leaves $1 for gas, lol.

Completely free events are hard to put together as the crew that used to do the Gurley Hardee's Cruise-In will attest to. They had over 100 cars each month and had trophies and door prizes. But it was a lot of work by a small group of people.

I think if organizers make sure that the value is there for participants, they will come. The Ardmore show draws nearly 1000 cars from all over. Why? Because they give away $1500 and even more in door prizes. They give away $50 multiple times throughout the day. Now cash awards are hard to come by because no one gives cash for an event versus a donated door prize, but door prizes are very easy to get, especially when the event is for a charity. There's no reason not to have a lot of these to give away.
Old September 22nd   #11
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

An event like Ardmore and TN Valley event at Pt Mallard, with 1000 rides, I will gladly pay because there is lots to look at! And the locations are great.

And I must be one of the unluckest participants - I have never received a door prize or 50/50 !!!!!! Even at those events that give away lots. Where 80% of the participants receives something. Oh, well!
Old September 22nd   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
And I must be one of the unluckest participants - I have never received a door prize or 50/50 !!!!!! Even at those events that give away lots. Where 80% of the participants receives something. Oh, well!
Wow, that's pretty bad. I even got a door prize once a few years back at a small show that gave me a ticket for coming out and covering the event. And I still use that handy little tool set. Someone give Marsha a door prize next time!

Now, winning the 50/50 is just a matter of playing the odds. You have to know how many tickets and how much is in the pot. Then you can just buy your way to winning, lol.
Old September 23rd   #13
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

You know, I even told the ones at Steak 'n Shake that if I won the 50/50 I would give the money back to the club, because the money was going toward the purchase of their new PA system. And even after that, I did not win!!!!

The whole discussion on the entry fees is to get the promoters and organizers to try to keep the fees down to where the participants can afford. The more that can afford, the more rides they will get to attend and show. Currently, there are several of us either retired and on a fix income, or where one spouse is unemployed and watching their pennies. Just keep this in mind when setting the entry fees.
Old September 23rd   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I've seen the trend already towards lower fees. And as we roll towards the end of this season with a sideways to gloomy economy coming in the next year, I think more fee reductions will have to come to keep people participating in events.

Last edited by Samir; September 23rd at 10:35 AM.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th   #15
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

As this season ends, just some updated information on registration and entry fees for the promoters of local car events for next year. There have been lots more talk this year among many of the owners regarding the fees. I noticed that several came to Hartselle Days, the Boys Ranch, and other events without their rides, and stated to us that they would not pay the higher fees (even with lots of door prizes).

There are many of us that just enjoy driving our special rides, but would also like to be a part of the events and be able to park inside. We do not want to be judged; do not want trophies or awards; do not want door prizes (unless it is an engine!); do not want the free or additional items like dash plaques, t-shirts or goodie bags. We just like to participate, be there with our rides, socialize with other car friends, have lunch, and see other rides. For those, the entry fee should be no more than $10 per ride just to be able to park inside with no “bells or whistles”. And if need be, can park us in our own area so the judges know these are non-judged rides.

If the events and promoters would take this into consideration for next year, they would have more rides and participants. Take into account that by getting more there, the participants would spend additional money for food & drinks, venders, swap meets, auctions, 50/50, drawings, or arts & crafts – and any other items or ways that participants spend money once there.

If an event has the room, the more rides for all to see is better. Do whatever it takes to get the participants with their special rides there. To see 250+ rides together at any local event is great!

Of course, there are exceptions to this, like the Point Mallard and Ardmore events. But most local events do not bring out the attendance. And by charging $20 or more does not help.

For a $10 entry / parking fee, you would see us at lots more events! Marsha
Old October 27th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Some really great feedback Marsha! Thank you.

I think your suggestions are wholly feasible, and I hope that the event organizers make them happen this upcoming year. The gloomy economic outlook isn't changing, and I feel that participation will be even lower next year if there aren't some changes in fee structures.
Old October 29th   #17
LastChance
LastChance

Since I am involved in the Ardmore Show here is my two cents. If had it my way, I would not charge people with show cars a dime due to fact there is no show without them. I do believe in charging spectators as the assembly of all these great rides and vendors in the TN Valley does cost money and time.

As to the entry fees going up, we at Ardmore are not looking at increasing any fees in the future. As we were a small show a few years ago, we charge the normal 15 / 20 bucks as everyone and fiqured out real quick you better back that up with good / mulitple door prizes.

Our focus is present a fun show with lots to do and rewards for your entry fee. Feeding all pre-entries, extra chances on grand prizes is huge cost driver but we feel is should be a standard. Granted the food is not filet mignon but its included. Hard to beat the Pulaski show on thier setup with thiers.

Also we are looking at moving the show to Septemper 3rd 2011. Thats Labor Day weekend and tons cooler. We were going to last year but it conflicted with the Boys Ranch Show and we did not want to cause conflict as that was a great cause. The ranch is shutting down so I assume that show is going away.

Please give me any feedback so I can get the date settled in. The other date is August 13th 2011 Forecast HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT. So you can see what I want to hear.

We are giving away another car next year a 1966 Impala Wagon 327 / powerglide / ac car. I will post pics as we continue working on the car.
LastChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th   #18
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Send a message via AIM to HDP 7
I think participant's choice can be a bit bias... I've seen people decline a vote for a vehicle not because it wasn't extremely clean, but because it was of a particular make or model. How about cars be judged on the fit and finish, not the owner's personal taste.
87 Mazda RX7 TII (drag car)

"When it happens I won't even notice... I'll be too busy looking good!"
HDP 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDP 7 View Post
I think participant's choice can be a bit bias... I've seen people decline a vote for a vehicle not because it wasn't extremely clean, but because it was of a particular make or model. How about cars be judged on the fit and finish, not the owner's personal taste.
That what the "best of" categories cater to. Personally, I like them because it makes it a bit easier too. Good paint work is good paint work.
Old October 29th   #20
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Yes, I am pretty sure that there will be no Boys Ranch event next year with the Ranch closing. The only conflict will be that many families do something special for that 3-day weekend. When we can get a 3-day weekend, we like to pack up and take a trip out of town to get away. Marsha