Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old August 21st   #1
InkCityRat49
InkCityRat49
has no status.

Any Old School or Rat/Retro Rod car clubs in the area?

If there are any Old School, Retro or Rat Rod car clubs in the area, please let me know. I have an "old skool" 49 Chevy truck project I just started and would like to get involved with one. Thanks.

-MC
InkCityRat49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st   #2
CADster
CADster
has no status.

i dont know of a club persay, but hot rod tatoos (on gov ? or bob w ?) is big into the rat rod scene. the owner knows dozens of fellow rat rodders and has thrown a few rat rod shows in the past.

i would contact him and see if he knows of any clubs.
CADster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st   #3
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

Rat Rod ????

Are all cars that have red wheels and a flat black rattle can paint job rat rods?? Rat Rod is a broad term and some times taken as a insult or a badge of honor..
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st   #4
CADster
CADster
has no status.

rat rods has grown to address the 'drag strip groupie' scene. primered rods and other 'home brewed' mods that are to give it a 'rough' look.

my dad said you never saw 'rat rods' back in the hey-day of rodding. primer and crap was never on the finished product according to him.

Last edited by CADster; August 21st at 02:53 PM.
Old August 21st   #5
Impala_style
Impala_style
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkCityRat49
If there are any Old School, Retro or Rat Rod car clubs in the area, please let me know. I have an "old skool" 49 Chevy truck project I just started and would like to get involved with one. Thanks.

-MC

would love to see some pics, but around here the only thing I have seen in flat black paint is primered ricers??????

Sorry to say theres not alot of ratrods in this area that I know of
Impala_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st   #6
k9racer
k9racer
has no status.

The rat rod culture is very similar to the hard core Motor Cycle culture in the late 60s thru to the early 80s..Years ago these cars were called beaters or very ruff everyday hot rods. Mostly 34 and earlier. Now on old skool rods web site and mag. most of these shows have a cutoff date of 62 and before.. What is considered a rat today would not been allowed at any car show years ago. Some were unfinised cars. Now its fun and a fad that will pass after the gold chainers grow tired of it. Its somthing like what has happened with harley davidson with the RUBS.. If you want to see some of this type cars google the poor boys they have clubs in calif mich and tenn.all are highway traveling autos no trailer queens. If you were at the ardmore tenn show last week you could have seen a few of these poor boy cars. Also on labor day weekend a lot of these cars will be at the drive inn invasion at the starlite theater in atlanta ga. It like taking a step back in time lots of Betty Page looking girls and guys with Pompodor {sp} hair styles and most of the cars have nothing newer than 1962 parts..Most of these people are ruff like their cars they drink moonshine raise hell and their woman might show their thingies... also the rat rod culture does not accept someone until they have proven themselfs..Its even harder to get into a club. Good Luck...Maybe I will see you at the tatoo shop I am not Jason but he is a very close friend of mine..Bobby..
k9racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st   #7
InkCityRat49
InkCityRat49
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9racer
.. What is considered a rat today would not been allowed at any car show years ago. Some were unfinised cars. Now its fun and a fad that will pass after the gold chainers grow tired of it.
......Maybe I will see you at the tatoo shop I am not Jason but he is a very close friend of mine..Bobby..
Trends come and go in hot rod world all the time. But I hardly see rat rods as a fad any more than I see tattooing as a fad. It's mainstream popularity might come and go, but there will always be a hardcore scene for it. I personally see rat rods as a backlash to the Boyd Cottington's of the world - Low tech and purposefully rough and primative home-made hotrods as opposed to the high-tech/high dollar and all too perfect, pre-fab & "kit" rods built completely by professional builders.

By the way, I know Jason. I'm also a tattooist and owner of Ink City Tattoo in Decatur. I'll have to drop by Hot Rod and ask him about the retro car scene next time I'm over that way. Thanks.

-MC
Old August 21st   #8
InkCityRat49
InkCityRat49
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9racer
Are all cars that have red wheels and a flat black rattle can paint job rat rods?? Rat Rod is a broad term and some times taken as a insult or a badge of honor..
That's the stereotype, but rat rods come in all shapes and colors.

My 49 Chevy pick-up, if I paint it at all, will probably wear either rattle can primer or a nice black urethane suede, accented by red or puke green wheels and whitewalls. However, I'm very tempted to leave it's 50 year old blue-green patina completely untouched, rust holes and all.

-MC
Old August 21st   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
However, I'm very tempted to leave it's 50 year old blue-green patina completely untouched, rust holes and all.

-MC
Show us a picture! I'd love to see how it looks right now.
Old August 22nd   #10
blwright
blwright
is about to be stomping on a 6.2L to roll 35's. :o)

Send a message via AIM to blwright Send a message via Yahoo to blwright
Quote:
That's the stereotype, but rat rods come in all shapes and colors.

My 49 Chevy pick-up, if I paint it at all, will probably wear either rattle can primer or a nice black urethane suede, accented by red or puke green wheels and whitewalls. However, I'm very tempted to leave it's 50 year old blue-green patina completely untouched, rust holes and all.

-MC
Crunk, just leave it alone!!!!! Patina is the way to go on that truck. just focus on drivetrain.

If I want any of your lip, I'll jiggle my zipper.
blwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd   #11
InkCityRat49
InkCityRat49
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwright
Crunk, just leave it alone!!!!! Patina is the way to go on that truck. just focus on drivetrain.
To that end, I just brought home a 78 Camaro that's about to donate it's suspension and drivetrian to the cause. Anyone care to suggest someone locally I might get to handle the subframe swap?

By the way, blwright, do I know you? Sorry, but I don't recognize the name.

-MC
Old August 22nd   #12
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
there isnt really a scene for rat rods around here I wish there was or I would be so deep into it...the mini truck world is taking a lot of styling from old skool rods and lead sleds right now its a pretty good movement...if you lookin to hang out w/ some guys who appreciate old skool styling let us know

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd   #13
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10

and a rod style bike

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd   #14
blwright
blwright
is about to be stomping on a 6.2L to roll 35's. :o)

Send a message via AIM to blwright Send a message via Yahoo to blwright
Quote:
By the way, blwright, do I know you? Sorry, but I don't recognize the name.

-MC
we've met once or twice and i've been in your shop several times. greg ross has done some work for me.

If I want any of your lip, I'll jiggle my zipper.
blwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd   #15
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

Ive got a pair of 56 apache trucks i have not started on and im trying to get my hands on a 54 ford customline with a modded 223 I6, I think it would be cool if a rat rod group would materialize.....there are a few nice old cars hidden around but most guys dont bring them out, mostly for having to deal with the kid in the honda with something to prove, these old cars generally will motor with the best but turn and brake like the queen mary......
Troy Denby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd   #16
CADster
CADster
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by works2much
but most guys dont bring them out, mostly for having to deal with the kid in the honda with something to prove, these old cars generally will motor with the best but turn and brake like the queen mary......

i doubt that.

most of these 'rat rods' are not street legal.

like this one....

nice try in blaming honda owners though

yes.. i have a honda.. no, i have two hondas.

Last edited by CADster; August 23rd at 02:42 PM.
Old August 23rd   #17
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

WHOA...CADster..my bad. I stepped on toes with out thinking.. ok its not honda, take honda out of the sentence, Insert...saaay ford pinto..the car isnt the problem, its the knuckle head driving it, alright...no drama please. sigh..The best apache i have is a low miles 283 automatic truck with a trick set of stock drum brakes on all 4 corners and no power assist anything. Its Tagged and insured, and street legal...but technology has stepped ahead and the pace traffic runs at today makes Me nervous to drive it as much as i would like. That truck will remain as it came and the other truck will get a late model drive train and updated brakes and suspension. I will be more careful with my genaralities from now on...troy
Old August 23rd   #18
CADster
CADster
has no status.

tis coo.......... im sure you meant the age some people act who drive more then what they drive

just wanted to interject where i read something being unfair...

and i have two fords as well ... so your not out of hot water yet

the car in the pic is not legal because it dont have windshield wipers or fenders.

got a small garage full of those tickets back in my railbuggy days

Last edited by CADster; August 23rd at 03:27 PM.
Old August 23rd   #19
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

Whew, that was close. I like the apache better than anything else built in the 50s as far as a truck goes, but my first ride was a 56 f100 with a 460 and a 4speed box running through a 9 inch spinning 4.56 cogs....terrible vehicle, because i let my ego build that truck....two carbs is like two girlfriends....lol
I dont hate on any car but id rather push a chevy as drive a ford....lol
Old August 23rd   #20
CADster
CADster
has no status.

well.... id' rather buy a honda and be done with the whole pushing a vehicle thing completely

and welcome to the boards.....

Last edited by CADster; August 23rd at 03:48 PM.