Rocket City Mustang Club
Monthly Meetings
Casa Blanca
Every 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > Rocket City Mustang Club

Rocket City Mustang Club The official forum for the Rocket City Mustang Club, one of the Mustang Clubs in the area

Old September 11th   #1
mgreene
mgreene
has no status.

Careful where you take your car to be serviced!

Jiffy Lube gets busted
Old September 11th   #2
redbaron93
redbaron93
Just along for the ride

That's a perfect example why I'm always around when my car is being worked on.
Old September 11th   #3
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron93
That's a perfect example why I'm always around when my car is being worked on.
thats when the shady shops tell you " it`s against their insurance coverage for you to stand by .
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th   #4
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

I tried to check it out, but it wanted me to upgrade my player :-(
What happened in the video ?
Old September 11th   #5
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

hidden cameras caught lots of work not performed yet charged for
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th   #6
workmangc
workmangc
has no status.

That's why I do my own work. If I have any Major engine work done I send it to a reputable shop. I sent my Cyl heads all the way back to Ceganick's Machine shop in PA from Germany because I trust the builder. Jim @ Ceganick's did my V6 motor and he was my 1st choice for the Cobra too. It was just too expensive to ship an entire motor overseas so I had hime to the top, and the bottom end was done locally in Germany.

98 Cobra, Needs Dyno'd, 11.5:1 Compression, FR500 Cams, N2O Dry kit (coming soon), 3.55 gears, 03/04 IRS.
workmangc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

This video isn't as far fetched as it seems. I think a lot of this type of stuff happens in Huntsville too. It would be interesting if HCS took a car and did a similar experiment.
Old September 11th   #8
kennyg
kennyg
Too many projects, not enough time.

It's ashamed some shops take advantage of people when there's plenty of honest work that needs to be done to customers vehicles. They, the shops, get hurt in the long run and wind up closing their doors. They must not have a conscience.
1969 Fairlane Cobra-Auto, Column Shift, Benchseat
1970 Mach 1-Grabber Orange 4-Speed
1994 Ford Mustang GT-Yellow 5-Speed
kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Business is business and all that, but I know I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I can sleep on something that I got through lying to other people. I just have too much moral fiber for that.
Old September 12th   #10
redbaron93
redbaron93
Just along for the ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONW
thats when the shady shops tell you " it`s against their insurance coverage for you to stand by .
That's when you take you car somewhere else.
Old September 12th   #11
MADEWELL
MADEWELL
has no status.

have any of you ever suspected being cheated like this locally ??

05 SRT-4
97 GST
03 R6
MADEWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I do most, if not all of my own work, but that's the reason I do all the work myself--I know there are people out there that won't do the work right/precisely.

I just look at everyone else out there and think, "if you only knew what I knew."

Case in point--trying to find a decent used car. A friend of mine had his white 1997 Lexus es300 stolen recently (be on the lookout--reward if found), so I've been helping him look at cars.

There's a particular 2001 black Lexus es300 that's been sitting in a location (call/email me if you want to know details) for over a month with a for sale sign and contact info on it. It's also listed on Autotrader.com. I looked at the car from the outside and it looked okay, so we set up a time to look at it in more detail.

I usually do a preliminary check on a car before I even drive it to see if I find anything unusual. You can use those things when negotiating on the price if they don't make you walk away from a potential rip off.

I found that the car had a tranny that was about to die (big sand particle size chunks of metal in the pretty burned looking fluid), the car had almost no coolant in it, and that the rear bumper cover had been repainted to hide some scratches (you think they would've filled the scratches ).

I asked the seller how firm he was on the price, which is about $2k too much even if the car was in good condition. He kept going on and on about the retail price and how his was $2500 less than retail. He then said he was firm.

I asked him if he was sure. He said yes. I asked him if was aware of the problems with the car, going into detail. He stumbled badly talking about how he and his wife drove this car regularly (the rust on the rotors told me it hadn't been driven in a month). We thanked him for his time and walked away just as another potential buyer asked him, "is what that other guy said true?" He replied to the other potential buyer, "oh, he doesn't know what he's talking about." Riiiight.

I don't know how the seller can sleep at night knowing he's ripping people off by leading them to believe they have something they don't. I've helped other friends buy cars in Huntsville. Almost all the dealers I've dealt with are like this. It took me weeks to find my Galant through all the garbage cars that have been rebuilt, crashed, totaled, and have other problems that are never disclosed, even when you ask them. One of the Honda Accords I looked at had been hit in six locations and repaired. When I asked the dealer if it had been in any collisions, they lied right to my face.

I know of only one dealer that I would consider honest, and he's the guy I bought my Galant from. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him. His name is Alex and his company is Sam's Cars. I believe he has a small office over the mountain across from the PPG plant. He's very fair, and oddly enough deals in a lot of the lower priced cars below $5000, but he's got good ones. My Galant lasted 70k after countless weekends of hard driving, intermittent low oil, and extended fluid drain intervals. And still it's a small repair bill to get it back on the road. Not bad for something that only cost me $3700.
Old September 12th   #13
Puter
Puter
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
(the rust on the rotors told me it hadn't been driven in a month).
It does depend on the amount of rust. Since the rotor is perfectly clean steel with no protection at all, flash rust is instantaneous. My rotors have surface rust after just washing the car and having water hit them.

Regardless, one place that will never even look at my cars is the Wal-Mart in Madison, near Intergraph. I had them change the oil one Sunday for I was in a hurry and no other place is open on Sundays. First I am told that they do not like to work on Sunday and wouldn't do it for anyone else, but I had a cool car so I had to be cool.

Yeah.

Then I am looking at the sheet and find they only charge me for 4 quarts of oil. 4? Um, did y'all know that a 5.0 has 2 drain plugs?
No, they did not.
They offered to do it again, I declined.
I should have known better when he said they don't like to work on Sundays.

Uh-huh.
Puter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puter
It does depend on the amount of rust. Since the rotor is perfectly clean steel with no protection at all, flash rust is instantaneous. My rotors have surface rust after just washing the car and having water hit them.
Oh yeah, I know all about that. The Galant's big shiny 13" rotors would have little rust spots all over them after a few days of no driving and rain.

These rotors were completely rusted. The type of rust that takes about a month or more of no use to build up.