Rocket City Mustang Club
Monthly Meetings
Casa Blanca
Every 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > Rocket City Mustang Club

Rocket City Mustang Club The official forum for the Rocket City Mustang Club, one of the Mustang Clubs in the area

Old October 12th   #1
97minitaco
97minitaco
has no status.

New guy here..... 88 GT

First off, I'd like to say nice site. My name is Nick Lambert and I live in Meridianville, AL. I just purchased my first Mustang project car. It's a 1988 GT. The car needs a good bit of work, but runs and drives pretty good. I'm really excited about this as it is a project for myself and the entire family. I do need quite a few parts though, and if any of you have anything to fit this car reasonably priced, PLEASE let me know. I dont have a lot of money right now, but am going to be redoing this car slowly over time to make sure it's done right. I also have quite a few things for trade or sell if anyone is interested. Mostly electronic stuff that I dont need since I no longer have my old business.

Here are a few pics of the car so you can see what I've got.

The day I brought her home.

Yesterday:

This is the engine when I got it. 204,000 miles and running good. As for the rust, the car came from Chicago, so it does have some rust repairs to be made.

Engine as of yesterday after cleaning and paint. I have a little more painting done now.

I need the following parts if any of you have them:

Hood

headlights

rear hatch

seat rails and brackets

gas tank

radiator and brackets

Not bad for $1,000 eh? The front end has to be put on the frame machine due to an old wreck, but my father in law owns a body shop and is going to do it for me soon.

Last edited by 97minitaco; October 12th at 06:46 PM.
97minitaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th   #2
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

plenty of mustang folks on here to get to know,, i`m more into ones that are a bit older .. welcome to huntsville car scene. plenty of cruising and shows to do
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th   #3
97minitaco
97minitaco
has no status.

Yea I hope to get into the scene a little bit more once she is closer to being done. I have wanted one of these for 20 years. (Im 24). I was always dreaming one day, and then my dad called. He lives in South AL and picked up an 88 GT Supercharged in great condition for $1900!! The guy thought it was the A/C compressor and didnt know what he had. I went down and drove it and came home immediately and started looking.

Found this one on the north side of /Hazel Green and talked him to 1000. I drove it home and started cleaning on it. It needs a floor pan driver side, and some minor rust repair behind the ground effects on the rear. Needs a hatch due to some minor rust pinholes and thats about it. But since my father in law has the shop, he said no problems there. His shop is on Brownsboro Road if anyone ever needs work done. He is really really good. I should show you my DD (1998 Accord) that was totalled until he got it. No one ever can tell it was wrecked.

I do need a gas tank really soon though, so if you hear of anyone with one for sale, please let me know. Dont want it to burn to the ground you know?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for the welcome BTW!!

Last edited by 97minitaco; October 12th at 08:03 PM.
Old October 12th   #4
Impala_style
Impala_style
has no status.

Nice work on the engine, what did you use??

I have paint!!, I have a paint shop in decatur, just shoot me a pm, well looks like you have that covered,

1000 bucks for that body style running is great, also one of my partners has a hood out back for that car, I will get the price for you on friday

Welcome aboard

Last edited by Impala_style; October 12th at 08:04 PM.
Impala_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th   #5
97minitaco
97minitaco
has no status.

Please do!! I cant install it until he fixes the frame, but I do need one. A limb fell across the one that was on it. The inner fenders are shifted towards the driver side about 1 inch and the rad support is about an inch higher on the pass side than the drivers so the hood wont shut. Easy fix for him.

I want to go back factory color. What would it run if all body work was complete?
Old October 13th   #6
cobaltracer
cobaltracer
has no status.

Send a message via MSN to cobaltracer Send a message via Yahoo to cobaltracer
Welcome to the site Nick, That car has alot of potential, It will look great once it's done, you won't be seeing me much until early of next year at show's, But I am getting her (car) there slowly, like you said money is hard to come by but I'm making end's meet, Welcome Aboard once again
Old October 13th   #7
MarkDorner
MarkDorner
has no status.

Looks like a fun project. Is it a 5-speed? Are you planning to restore the car or modify it? Gullatt's Mustangs (kennyg) has lots of parts for your car and there are a few really good 5.0 mechanics in town should you need one.

Our club meetings are the third Tuesday at Casa Blanca across from Madison Square Mall. Details are on the header at the top of this page or at our own website www.rocketcitymustang.com. You're welcome to join us.
Old October 13th   #8
kennyg
kennyg
Too many projects, not enough time.

Congratulations Nick on the first remedy to your Mustang Fever. I saw that Stang on the highway in HG. You got a good deal. I've got a stock hood for $50, I've actually got 2 so Puter you're still in luck! I sell NEW 6 piece headlight set for $150 if anyone here needs them. Also have several parts cars we could cut you out a floor pan patch. Will be looking for tire tracks on the M'ville HG roads! kennyg (I eat my lunch on the hood of Mustangs!)
1969 Fairlane Cobra-Auto, Column Shift, Benchseat
1970 Mach 1-Grabber Orange 4-Speed
1994 Ford Mustang GT-Yellow 5-Speed
kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th   #9
97minitaco
97minitaco
has no status.

kennyg where are you located man? I wouldnt mind seeing some of the stuff you have. As for tire tracks, it might be a while. The car has 204,000 miles and while the engine still has some life left in it, it had a bit of a time turning the tires over the other day. But it does have some bugs that need fixing under the hood, so that could be the problem. I definately need a gas tank and radiator before I run it too hard.

Kenny I will let you know on that hood man and the floor pan...I also may need a few more panels from you.
Old October 13th   #10
97minitaco
97minitaco
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDorner
Looks like a fun project. Is it a 5-speed? Are you planning to restore the car or modify it? Gullatt's Mustangs (kennyg) has lots of parts for your car and there are a few really good 5.0 mechanics in town should you need one.

Our club meetings are the third Tuesday at Casa Blanca across from Madison Square Mall. Details are on the header at the top of this page or at our own website www.rocketcitymustang.com. You're welcome to join us.
I do plan to do more of a resto/mod job on the car. Very minimal upgrades on the exterior and the interior, but not on the engine.
Old October 14th   #11
kennyg
kennyg
Too many projects, not enough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97minitaco
kennyg where are you located man?
From M'ville head north on 231/431, take a left at the traffic light just before HG School that will be West Limestone Road, go 2 miles and take a right on Nix Road, we are the 3rd lot on the left, pass 2 houses and pull into the gravel drive. you will see the portable sign that says Gullatt's Mustangs. Here's my number 828-6848. Look forward to meeting you. kennyg
1969 Fairlane Cobra-Auto, Column Shift, Benchseat
1970 Mach 1-Grabber Orange 4-Speed
1994 Ford Mustang GT-Yellow 5-Speed
kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th   #12
Puter
Puter
has no status.

I just got in from St. Louis. I still need a hood.

You will have a good time with this project. I sold all of the parts from my 88 that tore down. I don't think I have any extras laying around. Is that a Speed Density or MASS AIR (California-only for 88)?

I've built a few Fox bodies and may have a pointer or two now and then.
Puter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th   #13
97minitaco
97minitaco
has no status.

Unfortunately, it is a speed density. I would like to convert it over to Mass air for the time when I eventually supercharge it. My dad has his converted already to run his S/c setup.

Kenny, when are you open? I'd love to come by and check out your setup and see what you got. Once I get the gas tank and radiator in, I'd like to drive the car over.

Last edited by 97minitaco; October 14th at 04:59 PM.
Old October 14th   #14
97minitaco
97minitaco
has no status.

Who are the mustang mechanics around here anyways? I really wanna let someone take a look at my engine and tell me if it is worth saving for a while. It runs ok and drives decent, but it has 204,000 miles and does have a few leaks. I'd like to get someone just to look it over and gimme some pointers....
Old October 15th   #15
MarkDorner
MarkDorner
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97minitaco
Who are the mustang mechanics around here anyways? I really wanna let someone take a look at my engine and tell me if it is worth saving for a while. It runs ok and drives decent, but it has 204,000 miles and does have a few leaks. I'd like to get someone just to look it over and gimme some pointers....
Call Andy. Best I know.
256-652-9936
Old October 15th   #16
97minitaco
97minitaco
has no status.

Where is he located and what is his shop's name? I noticed earlier that when the frame got hit it took a big chunk out of the smog pump. I want it removed anyways, but things like that I wanna let him look at. But for now I cant drive it anywhere because of the radiator and gas tank.