Rocket City Mustang Club
Monthly Meetings
Casa Blanca
Every 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > Rocket City Mustang Club

Rocket City Mustang Club The official forum for the Rocket City Mustang Club, one of the Mustang Clubs in the area

Old October 15th   #1
mmr007
mmr007
has no status.

help with gears...3.73 vs 4.10

I have a 05 Mustang GT with flowmaster exhaust, C&L cold air with Diablosport tune and that's it for performance mods. It has some chassis strengthening stuff but I really don't forsee any other power adding mods for quite a while. My future mods with be aftermarket clutch, alum drive shaft, and weight reduction. Thus, with this in mind, which rear gear ratio will benefit me more? I don't want to race it on the strip, just spirited driving 'round town. It has 3.55 in it now.

One more variable is that I may now, after initially thinking not, go with larger rims and tires to get a plus one (at least) size change. Any help would be appreciated......
mmr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th   #2
MarkDorner
MarkDorner
has no status.

I put together a spreadsheet that does the math for these kinds of questions.

Assuming you have 235/55/17 tires, you can expect

1-2 shift
3.55 40.4mph
3.73 38.5mph
4.11 34.9mph

rpm @ 80mph
3.55 2389rpm
3.73 2510rpm
4.11 2765rpm

relative gas mileage
3.55 24.4mpg
3.73 23.2mpg
4.11 21.1mpg

3.55 are a good gearset for spirited driving around town. I wouldn't go through the expense and trouble.
Old October 16th   #3
Shadow_GT
Shadow_GT
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmr007
I have a 05 Mustang GT with flowmaster exhaust, C&L cold air with Diablosport tune and that's it for performance mods. It has some chassis strengthening stuff but I really don't forsee any other power adding mods for quite a while. My future mods with be aftermarket clutch, alum drive shaft, and weight reduction. Thus, with this in mind, which rear gear ratio will benefit me more? I don't want to race it on the strip, just spirited driving 'round town. It has 3.55 in it now.

One more variable is that I may now, after initially thinking not, go with larger rims and tires to get a plus one (at least) size change. Any help would be appreciated......
With no power adders get the 4.10s.
Don't fear the gear!!!!
Kenne Bell 9# intercooled twin screw supercharger
13" Front and 12" Rear Bullitt Brakes
MGW shifter
Tokico 5-way adustable struts
Maximum Motorsports C/C plates
Shadow_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th   #4
black_nightmare
black_nightmare
has no status.

IMHO If you drive on the interstate much, 4.10's is too much. However, if not, then I say go for the 4.10's
2001 GT Premium Package, Procharger P1SC w/ 3 core intercooler and 10lb pulley, Accufab intake plenum, Accufab 75mm throttle body, Mach 1 Grill delete, Mach 1 chin spoiler,B&M Shifter, Eibach Pro-kit springs, Magnaflow X pipe w/cats, Magnaflow Cat-back, K&N Filter, Airbox snorkle removed, BBK underdrive pulleys, Bullitt front brake upgrade, drilled and slotted rotors, SPEC stage 2 clutch, aluminum flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, 3.73 gears, FR500 seats, Hans Racecraft Subframe connectors.
black_nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote