Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old October 30th   #1
Buz Eagle
Buz Eagle
has no status.

Mechanic Needed

I am new to Huntsviile. I have a 51 Mercury Lead Sled. Right now it does not start. I think it's the electric fuel pump. I do not hear it when I turn on the ignition. I am handicapped and cannot work on the car. Can anyone suggest a good reasonable mechanic? Thanks.
Buz Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th   #2
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

Im guessing from you saying you cant hear the fuel pump that it has been modded, what was the donor? The most common is a fox body mustang, Ive done a couple and have seen a dozen done...some better than others... any way the car will more than likely diagnose and repair like the car that it was built with...Hello my name is Troy, I would just like to see the car,After we speak we can decide if Im the tech you need.
Troy Denby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th   #3
napoleon
napoleon
has no status.

Im guessing that you have not had the ability to check for fuel pressure at the carb, or for spark from the distributer?
When you attempt to start the car, does it sputter, backfire, or do anything other than turn over? When was the last time that it ran, and did it do anything funny at that point?
What is your location?
napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th   #4
Buz Eagle
Buz Eagle
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by works2much
Im guessing from you saying you cant hear the fuel pump that it has been modded, what was the donor? The most common is a fox body mustang, Ive done a couple and have seen a dozen done...some better than others... any way the car will more than likely diagnose and repair like the car that it was built with...Hello my name is Troy, I would just like to see the car,After we speak we can decide if Im the tech you need.
Hi Troy:

I am located in New Market. Send me an e-mail at orlich2@mchsi.com
Old October 30th   #5
Buz Eagle
Buz Eagle
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by napoleon
Im guessing that you have not had the ability to check for fuel pressure at the carb, or for spark from the distributer?
When you attempt to start the car, does it sputter, backfire, or do anything other than turn over? When was the last time that it ran, and did it do anything funny at that point?
What is your location?
HI:

The car started good before shipping it to Alabama. It would not start to get it off the truck. I am located in New Market. Send me an e-mail at orlich2@mchsi.com
Old October 30th   #6
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
you need to get rid of it asap....so sale it to me! please...lol j/k...your not too far from me id be willing to get w/ ya one day and take a look at it for ya

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st   #7
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

welcome to new market.. i`m in walnut grove " new market address " but i dont know doodle about electronic equipt cars.
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st   #8
Spook
Spook
has no status.
Huntsville Car Scene Site Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buz Eagle
HI:

The car started good before shipping it to Alabama. It would not start to get it off the truck.
That sounds famiar
2 of my bugs had simalar issues last year,
turns out this valley required a
increase in fuel
but only at idle.
bumped up on jet size........

"burnt,scarred,bloodied,greasie hands
............it's a zen thing........."-Spook the elder
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...ir/vwheart.gif
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st   #9
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

I went to look at this car, It is an older build but it was done well, car is still nice. George is the owners name, Good guy, very into his cars, also has an awesome little 27 T bucket with an SBC. Once he gets moved in he should be a regular at the shows. Anyone with an older ride he should be a wealth of information. Definately a cool guy to have around.
Old November 1st   #10
napoleon
napoleon
has no status.

did the ride get fixed?
napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st   #11
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

Ive got a good fuel pump on order,12 volts with a known good ground but no action from the pump..looks like the pump is as old as the build...@1980.. it had cloths pins on the fuel line so it at some point it was having vapor lock problems, and its running a vintage edelbrock tri-power so Ive got a higher pressure pump on order so as to maybe offset some of this and while im at it im going to re-route a couple of the fuel lines.... Very cool old car, and to be ...built ... for 26 years its in great shape, not many 26 year old factory cars would have weathered as well as this one has. Its just a little odd working on a custom built by someone else, kind of have to get in the other mans head to diagnose sometimes.. this was easy to figure out but other problems might not be as easy, no wiring schematics exist for cars like these.
Old November 7th   #12
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

Car fixed and George let me drive it, very cool, truely like looking out of a mail slot with that top let down that far. A little bracket work because the new pump was different, and a little work on the old fuel lines and the old thing came right to life, ran a shade rich at first and smoothed right out and ran like a top, with a little wander, like any other old car but very good road manners for its age.