Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old November 8th   #1
Nick
Nick
has no status.

Need opinions on some trucks.

I would like to hear some of your opinions on diesel trucks. I am thinking about getting one. I will mainly be driving as a daily driver and occasionally for towing a trailer with a car. I want to hear your opinions on the Powerstroke, Cummins, and the Duramax. I know some about diesels, but I want to know everyones experience with the big three. I want to know which you prefer and why you prefer it, and what kind of mileage you get with it. I know there are a lot of aftermarket parts and tuners for diesels, but I dont want to put a lot of money in it because i am working on other cars. I would prefer a short wheelbase extended cab maybe a flatbed.

So if any of you have any advice on any of the big three, or know of any for sale for a reasonable price i would appreciate it. And what kind of questions do I need to ask when looking at one.

Thanks

Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th   #2
Impala_style
Impala_style
has no status.

I drive a Ford 2006 superduty alot with the race team, pulls 2 cars and all of our pit set up with no problems, thru the mountains, so on and so forth, and does very well with gas mailage at that to be pulling a full 60 foot enclosed trailer.
Impala_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th   #3
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
yeah im wantin to get rid of my daily driver s10 and buy a tow pig myself since gas is going down....at my old job we had a early 90s model ford turbo diesel that would pull trees out of the ground with over 180,000 miles on it...thats kinda what im in the market for but cant find one

good luck on your search

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th   #4
CADster
CADster
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2loS10
yeah im wantin to get rid of my daily driver s10 and buy a tow pig myself since gas is going down....
the election is over....

dont bet on gas staying this cheap.

plan on 3.00/4.00 a gallon this summer.
Old November 10th   #5
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADster
the election is over....

dont bet on gas staying this cheap.

plan on 3.00/4.00 a gallon this summer.
....really? ummm, you really believe that....aaaah, I will respect you and the board, and not break this one open. You seem like a stand up guy. I wish we had PM. This is not the place to disagree...we talk cars here...wetalk cars here...wetalkcarshere....( covers ears and goes hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
Troy Denby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th   #6
CADster
CADster
has no status.

email sent

but yea, i see it ramping up just like it did last summer.

Last edited by CADster; November 10th at 02:47 PM.
CADster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th   #7
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

well agree to disagree there...enough said..several forums I am on have a section for politics chat/arguing lol

Old November 13th   #8
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2loS10
well agree to disagree there...enough said..several forums I am on have a section for politics chat/arguing lol
I absolutely agree, and I will work hard in the future to keep this from happening again, I would rather talk cars anyway. You show maturity beyond your years!!!!

Last edited by works2much; November 13th at 04:24 PM.
Old November 13th   #9
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

I guess the opinion part of the thread has ended!
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th   #10
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

Truck opinion here. Anything with a Cummins. They have been at it longer than any of the others and they know what they are doing. I like the 1000 series allison transmissions but the GM engine doesnt move me. Ford builds a good engine and transmission but I work on 5.9 and 6 liter cummins and 7.3 International harvester ( ford) engines every day and hands down the engine with the best combination of power and dependability is the Cummins. Ive got 5.9 mechanical cummins with more than 400,000 hard delivery miles on them and ive yet to get a hay binder to last half that long and they both are doing the same job and are in the same maintainance program.fwiw
Old November 13th   #11
racinfast002
racinfast002
ROLL TIDE YALL!

i personally like the way 00+ Ford 250s look. I dont know much about it other than they look sharp, and that engine has been around, so i dont see too many things going wrong with it? but no experience, just talking about personal taste
1999 F250 Crew Cab Coal Smoker on 37's
1999 Formula Fastech 271
1984 Mustang Hatch Turbo
1984 Harley Davidson Sportster 1000 Ironhead
1969 Chevy pickup the keeper
"Straight tracks are for fast cars. Curvy tracks are for fast drivers."
racinfast002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th   #12
Gilgamesh
Gilgamesh
has no status.
Hasn't Checked Email

we just picked up an 01 ford f250SD is has the 7.3 turbo, short wheel base, and extended cab.

when i first drove it was like driving my bmw i was really imressed.
Gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th   #13
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
we just picked up an 01 ford f250SD is has the 7.3 turbo, short wheel base, and extended cab.

when i first drove it was like driving my bmw i was really imressed.

yea i test drove one the other weekend really nice ride just out of my price range right now

Old November 15th   #14
CADster
CADster
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by works2much
I would rather talk cars anyway.
true... but then here we are at a car forum and it gets 3 post a day.

having a forum where you have several topics and lots of traffic keeps it busy.
Old November 15th   #15
Troy Denby
Troy Denby
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADster
true... but then here we are at a car forum and it gets 3 post a day.

having a forum where you have several topics and lots of traffic keeps it busy.
YEAH. I hear ya and i see where you are coming from. The problem comes in when two or more folks get in a whizzing contest and begin to spout opinions as fact and running the other guy down because he isnt really with the other guys OPINION. Hey, im good at being wrong.... im married, Im pretty open minded, so i will listen to the other guy speak and give credit where credit is due, but Im not down with listening to some guys diatribe on the evils of (pick your poison) only to be shut down when i try to speak... I see LOTS of polotical and religeous debates go this way so i pretty much stay out of them.
I will argue cars, much less subjective, but even that is mostly best left un-argued and agreed upon disagreement.....
Old November 15th   #16
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by works2much
YEAH. I hear ya and i see where you are coming from. The problem comes in when two or more folks get in a whizzing contest and begin to spout opinions as fact and running the other guy down because he isnt really with the other guys OPINION. Hey, im good at being wrong.... im married, Im pretty open minded, so i will listen to the other guy speak and give credit where credit is due, but Im not down with listening to some guys diatribe on the evils of (pick your poison) only to be shut down when i try to speak... I see LOTS of polotical and religeous debates go this way so i pretty much stay out of them.
I will argue cars, much less subjective, but even that is mostly best left un-argued and agreed upon disagreement.....

very well said...I concur