Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Site Related Discussions

Site Related Discussions Have an idea to make the site better? Having problems? Look in here

Old April 9th   #1
alabamatoy
alabamatoy
has no status.

frames used on your site

Samir - please change the link on your site to RCRC to open in a new window, or in a complete same window.

I do not believe that it is ethical for you to display our site in a sub-window (frame) of huntsvillecarscene.com. I appreciate your link to our site, and honestly, I thought I had added one to yours on our site (and I will, if you resolve this issue). But I am adamant about you not hosting the RCRC linked site in a sub-frame of your site.

I hope you can understand that what you are doing is confusing to visitors to RCRC website who may come to it from the link on your site. They may think that RCRC is a member or somehow affiliated with or subordinate to huntsvillecarscene.com, and we are not -- that is not to say that we dont want to be, but we arent.

I believe there are precedents in legal proceedings where there have been lawsuits over this issue, and I think I can show you that your practice has been repeatedly found to be not in keeping with intellectual property rights.

Thanks for your help in this matter. Let me know when you have made the change, and I will add a link on RCRC to your site.
alabamatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I am sorry for the confusion that the header may have caused to some users. That was not my intention.

The purpose of the links under the "Local Car Group Forums" is to not to be a link page to local clubs or forums, but to make navigation between the different forums easy by having a way to quickly go back to the "Local Car Group Forums" list. That was the purpose of that little header at the top with the two simple links back to the forums. In most cases it is unobtrusive enough while still allowing a way back to the "Local Car Group Forums". This helps someone like myself who participates in a lot of different local forums to have one place where one can go to all of them through one browser window.

This is in no way intended to be a link to the RCRC club web site. I am still working on a Links page which will house all direct links to club sites.

I just tried the link and noticed that it no longer functions with the header. If you've changed your site to not allow that type of redirection, then that also accomplishes what you want. And I don't have a problem with that at all.

The purpose of Huntsville Car Scene.com is to help promote the various clubs in the area and their activities as well as foster cross-appreciation between the various clubs. While most clubs are appreciative of the efforts that my site, these objectives may not fall in line with the goals of other clubs. If your club falls under this category, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience to you and your club and will respectfully remove anything that your club deems inappropriate.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th   #3
alabamatoy
alabamatoy
has no status.

We made a change on our server that prevents someone hosting our forum in a frame.

I applaud your intent, but your method is all wrong, and like I stated, I think this is a position that the courts have echoed. I make my living in the IT world, and follow a lot of the intellectual property issues, and this particular one was decided early on when the web was first coming into wide use. Just imagine what would happen if a Wendy's website showed a picture of a hamburger from the Burger King website this way - the lawyers would be tripping all over each other.

A much better solution for you would be to open the linked forum in a new window (simply add target="_blank" inside the href). This gives the user the linked forum in a new browser window (or tab, if using one of the new tabbed browsers) while keeping huntsvillecarscene.com open for easy access back

I dont want to create bad will between any "car guys" in the area. We all share a common hobby and interest and often the politics that go along with that hobby.
alabamatoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatoy
We made a change on our server that prevents someone hosting our forum in a frame.
Cool. That's a solution that works more permanently anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatoy
I applaud your intent, but your method is all wrong...
For what I was trying to accomplish--a single browser to view everything forum in--it is the only unobtrusive method. It is very easy to open each forum in an individual window (and even assign each one to its own window), but that was one of the complaints I had with the old site--too many new windows.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but most of the other forums I've linked to haven't had any sort of problem with it. Mainly because I think it's been a win-win situation for most of the local forums. There may be copyright and intellectual property rights issues associated with it, but if we want to get really down to the letter of the law on that one, I'd have over a hundred lawsuits pending for improper usage of my pictures.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote