Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Bakers Creek Kart Club Race 9
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

November 14th 09:00 AM to 04:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: 630 State Docks Road, behind the BTK Motorsports building, Decatur

From the Bakers Creek Karting forum:

"We want to invite everyone who has raced with us during the 2009 Race Season to join us on November 14 for our final race this year. We would also like to invite you to join us for dinner immediately following the race at The Greenbriar Bar B Que at Exit 3 (Greenbriar Road) heading East on I-565 toward Huntsville. We have tables reserved there and we will be presenting our 2009 Awards for all racing classes. Please respond to this thread and let us know if you will be racing and attending the dinner. We need an accurate head count for ordering lunch and making sure we have enough tables at The Greenbriar. Looking forward to a GREAT turnout to finish out the season!!!!

All racing events are FREE for spectators in the stands and outside the pit area. Our insurance company requires that anyone inside the pit area or race track have an arm band and sign a waiver. These bands are available for $10. 9 am is the start time for practice, qualifying is right before lunch. We usually break for lunch for 45 minutes to an hour and start the Heat races at 1pm. Race day times vary from 3 pm to 5 pm or so depending on the number of racers and the number of classes we have on a given day. We do have concessions and we try to have lunch available, but in case we run out, there is a Subway less than a block away."

Come see an alternative to the circle track racing of Nascar, where young stars are born that become the Indy and Formula 1 drivers of tomorrow.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

What an amazing day. If you like watching Indy, Formula 1, or the American Grand Am series, you need to get out to Baker's Creek Karting! This is by far the best spectator racing I have seen locally.

There were 5 different classes racing today with 3 races each. The classes were the Combers (kids class), Juniors, Master, Seniors, and Shifters. And while there were only a handful of karts in each class, there were excellent battles in each series, even down to the Combers. In fact, the #8 and #16 drivers in that class had some of the best racing of the whole day with multiple lead changes in a single race. They had everyone on edge as the karts entered corner after corner chasing each other for position.

What amazed me was how much real racing was going on with drivers watching entry and exit lines, attempting passing under braking and in corners, and trying to make consistent times even through lap traffic. This is what you see on television, except smaller.

My favorite class to watch was the Combers. These kids are no joke, and show their expertise as drivers on the course. There were excellent battles throughout the day, and some skillful driving that will carry them even further in their careers as adults.

And in the photos, I managed to make these little guys and girls as big as their hearts. I have several of my favorite, #25 looking like the cover shot for a magazine. There's several pictures this good of every driver in every class. I was really happy I was able to take such great photos on my first time out to the track.

And let's not forget the videos. There are several videos showcasing the great racing. Many times I captured the entire race. Be sure to watch the Comber class for the battle between #8 and #16. One of the best videos for them is mov00971. Watch as they swap positions multiple times in a single lap and race side-by-side into turns. These two young drivers came all the way from Indiana chasing the great weather. And I'm so glad they did.

I want to apologize to all the lady drivers in the classes. I only used male references when talking about the drivers in my video commentary. I didn't know which karts were which gender.

After working registration and taking some photos on the course, Barbara finally stepped foot into a kart donning her son Shelton's race suit after years of supporting her family's race efforts. The interview with her after the experience says a lot about this excellent form of motorsport.

Congratulations to all the race winners and season winners. I look forward to seeing all of you again in the 2010 racing season at Baker's Creek.
1 members will be attending this event:

Old November 16th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I started thinking about karts and then electric karts and ran across this guy's neat project:
http://www.evalbum.com/1929
Old November 17th   #3
chad lee
chad lee
has no status.

A lot of great photos from a great day! Totally captured it with setting sun and clouds photos. I am already looking forward to next year! I run a shifter #28 but I totally enjoyed watching the Comers go at it!
chad lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad lee View Post
I run a shifter #28...
Ahh yes, love the graphics you've done on the kart and helmet. One of my favorite shots was of you doing the "hang loose" after the finish:
Old November 17th   #5
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Reminds me of quarter midgets. I did that for a few years when I was i was like 9 to 13. It was a lot of fun.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th   #6
chad lee
chad lee
has no status.

Thanks, I am thinking of painting the helmet to match the kart graphics this winter only problem is if I change karts. I'd love to be on one of BTK's new Arrows X-1's next season and with Eric's help from BTK we could get a little closer. After only 1 season in karts we have gotten way faster than I thought I would at the start of the year till now. All in fun! Maybe I'll win at the blackjack table in Vegas and can make it happen. I feel it's important to thank the corner workers who stand out there all day and that is one way I like to let them know how much they are appreciated. I will get with you and try to purchase that picture in the next couple days. Thanks again!

Last edited by chad lee; November 17th at 04:03 PM.
chad lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad lee View Post
Thanks, I am thinking of painting the helmet to match the kart graphics this winter only problem is if I change karts. I'd love to be on one of BTK's new Arrows X-1's next season and with Eric's help from BTK we could get a little closer. After only 1 season in karts we have gotten way faster than I thought I would at the start of the year till now. All in fun! Maybe I'll win at the blackjack table in Vegas and can make it happen. I feel it's important to thank the corner workers who stand out there all day and that is one way I like to let them know how much they are appreciated. I will get with you and try to purchase that picture in the next couple days. Thanks again!
Keeping up with the Joneses is definitely a part of racing, but you did pretty well with the setup you have. I wonder if there's a few ways to 'cheat' here and there on intake and exhaust to open up the engine.

You can actually buy the print by clicking on the picture and then clicking the "Buy" button. And if you run into any problems, just post here.
Old November 17th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDM View Post
Reminds me of quarter midgets.
No, these are fully grown men.

J/K! LOL! I had to do it!