Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Twickenham Auto Club Autocross Finale
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

December 12th 08:00 AM to 06:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: John Hunt Park, 2500 Johnson Rd, Huntsville, AL, 35802

8:00am Tech Opens
8:30am Course Open For Walking
10:30am Registration - Tech - Course Closes
10:30am Novice Orientation
10:45am Driver's Meeting (Mandatory)
11:00am First Car Off

Registration for this event is $25.00

Autocrossing is a time-based event in which cars race against the clock on a course made of cones. Doesn't sound complicated or exciting, but it is the complete driving experience, allowing you to push the limits of you and your car in a controlled environment.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

A cold overcast morning greeted over 40 entrants in the final TAC autocross of the year. Some of the positions in the year's points race were to be determined from the outcome of the day's event. The weather was forecasting precipitation, so in an effort to make sure the championship contenders had fair runs, they were all moved into the first run group to avoid any bad weather.

And fair runs they did have. The course was not as quick as some of the ones earlier in the year, and it presented the drivers with serious challenges on where to pick up speed. Many gained speed coming out of the final slalom, locking up the brakes right before a sharp 90 degree turn that led them to the final gates. The fastest times of the day broke 50 seconds, but that was only a few. Most of the other times hovered in the mid-50s.

Many of the usual suspects were there including my personal favorite, Herb. As Mark was announcing as Herb was on the course, that's not his favorite number on the side of his car, that's his age. And at 78 years old, Herb is still taking home trophys. Way to go Herb!

It was also good to see Steve in his Mini Cooper S out and about and racing again. He suffered a heart attack just a few months back. You can't keep a racer down!

The rain stayed away from the event all day, although the brutal wind got the best of my hands, getting them to the edge of frostbite through my gloves. Luckily, I kept my car nearby and the heat quickly restored circulation.

I studied some panning shots of Antonio Alvenda a few days ago, so I tried to implement some of what I learned. It was difficult in such brutal weather, but I came up with some of my best panning shots yet, and learned quite a bit. Someday I'll have real cameras and I'll take magazine shots with every picture I take. But until that day, it is practice, practice, practice with what I got.

It was great to see everyone out today. I can't wait to see everyone again in the 2010 season.
2 members will be attending this event:

Old December 8th   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Assuming I can find something to drive I will be thur. I'm planning on giving Steve a driving lesson in his new Si considering he says he can beat me...lol.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Steve is a fairly good driver from what I've seen. It will be a fun challenge between the two of you. I'm not sure yet if I'll be out covering this event or not.
Old December 8th   #4
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Well it started out as he said he could take me in the CRX, I was amused to say the least. Since the CRX spun a rod bearing I figued i'd just beat him in his own car, to me that would be even funnier to get beat in your own car...lol.
Old December 8th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hmm...prepped crx vs stock civic si. Steve's driving vs yours...

I'm just going to wait for the outcome.
Old December 8th   #6
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Hmm...weak 100hp crx vs stock 2009 civic si with 200hp. Steve's driving vs yours...

I'm just going to wait and see how bad Steve gets beat
Fixxed^ j/k

Also, assuming all goes as planned the CRX won't be a toy the next time you see it. That is all. Let's put it like this once I pull a motor it never goes back in stock....even my old beater Toyota 4wd truck can rape ricers (which still cracks me up).

Last edited by EvilZ; December 8th at 02:57 PM.
Old December 8th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I follow a similar philosophy. If I have to replace a part, better to replace it with a performance part. How did the CRX spin a rod bearing anyways?
Old December 9th   #8
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

It just kinda happened. It started knocking on friday on my way to work and just go progressively worse so i parked it. When i was trying to get it back to scottsboro it blew on me.
Old December 9th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDM View Post
It just kinda happened. It started knocking on friday on my way to work and just go progressively worse so i parked it. When i was trying to get it back to scottsboro it blew on me.
Wow, you don't typically hear about something like this on a Honda motor. How many miles did it have on it?
Old December 9th   #10
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

about 171k, and actually the d series motors are pretty bad about spinning rod bearing if you turn them a lot of rpms. I'm sure that motor has had a hard life to. Stuff happens, I had been looking for a reason to work on that beast now I have one.
Old December 13th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hey, where were you guys?
Old December 13th   #12
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I didn't realize it was saturday until friday. I had to get some christmas shopping done not mention it was a nasty day.
Old December 13th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think you would have beat Steve anyways. He was downtown when I called him Friday night, lol.
Old December 16th   #14
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
Holy crap! who was the person auto crossing the Prius? and what was its times?lol
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th   #15
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

His times didn't break under 60 seconds, but he was in the top ten in the Novice class.

I'd love to see someone bring an all-electric car with 3s 0-60 times and see how it stacks up.
Old December 18th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I didn't think of this until just now, but that Prius probably got the best gas mileage of everyone out there.