Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Bakers Creek Kart Club Race 1
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

March 6th 07:30 AM to 04:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: 630 State Docks Road, behind the BTK Motorsports building, Decatur

The 2010 Kart season begins right here in Decatur. If you like watching Indy, Formula 1, or the American Grand Am series, you need to get out to Baker's Creek Karting. This is by far the best spectator racing I have seen locally.

From the Bakers Creek Karting forum:
"All racing events are FREE for spectators in the stands and outside the pit area. Our insurance company requires that anyone inside the pit area or race track have an arm band and sign a waiver. These bands are available for $10. 9 am is the start time for practice, qualifying is right before lunch. We usually break for lunch for 45 minutes to an hour and start the Heat races at 1pm. Race day times vary from 3 pm to 5 pm or so depending on the number of racers and the number of classes we have on a given day. We do have concessions and we try to have lunch available, but in case we run out, there is a Subway less than a block away.

Gates open at 7:30 AM
Pre-Race Safety Inspection 8:00 - 9:30 AM
Mandatory Drivers Meeting 9:30 AM
Class by Class Practice starts at 10:00 AM
All classes (except Comer 50) are required to have an AMB Transponder mounted per CIK rules in order to compete. The Club has a limited amount ( 8 ) transponders to rent on race day. It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you purchase your own."

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

And the karting season starts off with a bang. I was able to make it in time for the final races in most of the classes. I only shot video for the masters and shifters and missed the terrific racing in the combined juniors and seniors race. That was fierce!

It's hard to remember how fast these karts are until you try to shoot photos and video of them. I forgot how for a bit.
1 members will be attending this event:

Old March 8th   #2
chad lee
chad lee
has no status.

Thumbs up

Samir,
It was great to see you out there again taking those awesome shots...can't wait to see them.

Chad
chad lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Thank you Chad! It was some great racing out there. I wish I shot video during the combined juniors/seniors race. That was full of action.

I'm trying to see if I can work the race this Saturday. Will you be racing?

Last edited by Samir; March 9th at 01:42 AM. Reason: it wasn't the masters...it was the seniors
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th   #4
chad lee
chad lee
has no status.

I am planning on it if the weather holds out...40% chance of rain as of last night I hope it gets better. The rain and cool temps. make for a miserable day out there.
Old March 9th   #5
chad lee
chad lee
has no status.

Samir,
I looked at the pictures...great job. I also liked the video of the shifter final...I made one costly mistake and let him inside in the upper creek turn. That's racing I guess! Still sucks though! Is it possible to get my hands on a copy of the video and what is the pricing if you do that. I will go through the pictures again and pick some there as well. Hope to see you Saturday to disscuss. With your coverage I hope people will come to realize there is some pretty serious fun going on over there!

Chad
Old March 9th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad lee View Post
I am planning on it if the weather holds out...40% chance of rain as of last night I hope it gets better. The rain and cool temps. make for a miserable day out there.
Yeah, that would make me want to stay away as well. I'm fighting a cold I picked up this weekend, so I'm not sure if I'd want to tempt fate again by working in the rain out there. Of course, it's also $50, so...
Old March 9th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad lee View Post
Samir,
I looked at the pictures...great job. I also liked the video of the shifter final...I made one costly mistake and let him inside in the upper creek turn. That's racing I guess! Still sucks though! Is it possible to get my hands on a copy of the video and what is the pricing if you do that. I will go through the pictures again and pick some there as well. Hope to see you Saturday to disscuss. With your coverage I hope people will come to realize there is some pretty serious fun going on over there!

Chad
Thank you for the compliments. I wasn't completely happy with the results of the raw media, but I still think there was some good stuff in there.

The racing was good as always, and the battles were great, with full offensive and defensive strategies in play. I actually sat and watched the videos full screen like television while processing the coverage. I just wish I could pull off a British accent, that would just make my commentary just that much better, lol.

Videos currently aren't purchasable, but it is a feature request for the host, Smugmug. But not to worry, all of these photos and videos are permanent, and as soon as the capability is added, all the videos that are online will be available for purchase.

And as far as prints, take advantage of the fact that I've got things priced too low but haven't had time to change it. You can buy an 8x10" color-corrected print on professional paper for around the same price as what you'd pay for a regular 8x10" at walmart. My loss is your gain. Be sure to get creative with the crop tool as you can center a kart that's off center and even zoom in on one that doesn't fill the frame. I didn't realize this until last year, or there were even more shots at events that I would have posted.

I hope more people do come out to the races. I really mean it when I say that this is the best local racing. I'm an avid fan of true drivers races like Indy car, Formula 1, American Grand Am series, endurance racing, World Rally Challenge, etc. I don't get as much time to watch it, but watching the battles in the kart races is just as exciting. What would be awesome is if a closed circuit monitor system was installed and then put up in front of the grandstands. Then spectators could really be up close with the action. A cheap little multi-camera security system with nightvision would even do the trick.