Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Twickenham Auto Club Autocross #1
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

March 28th 08:00 AM to 05:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Milton Frank Stadium, 2810 15th Ave, Huntsville, AL 35805

8:00am Tech Opens
8:30am Course Open For Walking
10:30am Registration - Tech - Course Closes
10:30am Novice Orientation
10:45am Driver's Meeting (Mandatory)
11:00am First Car Off

Pre-registration for this event is $35.00. $40 day of the event. Pre-register here:
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/cale...curyearindex=4

Autocrossing is a time-based event in which cars race against the clock on a course made of cones. Doesn't sound complicated or exciting, but it is the complete driving experience, allowing you to push the limits of you and your car in a controlled environment.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

I woke after a night that ended at 6am on a very comfy couch. As I was leaving the apartment complex to get to the event, I noticed a Civic that caught my eye, so I snapped a shot.

The weather originally was forecasted to be rainy and miserable. Luckily, the rain passed in the night and Brett was free to design a course with tricky braking and a thread the needle 180. A good number of drivers and cars showed up, but I think a lot of people were scared off by the rain.

Lows 60s were fast times on the course with the fastest raw times breaking into the 57s. Some standing water made the finish a bit tricky as well as a few other parts of the course. But as the day warmed up, some of the water dried and just left the finish as the trickiest part. Alan thought there was a small chunk of time that could have been saved had the finish been dry.

A lot of spectators came out to watch the racing, but none of them knew about the great view from the grassy overlook above the course. A few of the members from Vibe came by to check out the sport. And after a few ridealongs, every member came back with a grin on their face. They're already talking about participating in the next event. They'll just have to be sure they pass the tech inspection.

I think one of the best parts of the day was the trophy presentation. It felt like the Olympics with awards presented in a ceremonial fashion that left everyone smiling. Seeing Josh looking like a rapper with a big gold thing hanging from his neck was priceless.

Josh the rapper

It was good to meet some new friends and a fellow Porsche Boxster owner. Maybe we'll both meet on the course one day. We'll be in the same class so that would be fun.

Something new for 2010 that Brad suggested, I'll be taking pictures of the drivers as well as the cars in the grid. I got a little overzealous in the grid this time, and forgot to get a run group's shots from the course. Oops. Sorry about that. I'll get it right next time. But the shots I did get were some of the best I've seen in a while. They're good enough to make a 20" x 30" poster and hang in your garage--hint hint.

I shot the course shots with my Olympus camera--the same one that I brought to my first autocross almost 5 years ago. And these images are with a slightly misfocused lens which Olympus caused when fixing something else. I could only imagine how good the images would look with a properly focusing lens. They would probably rival modern day dslrs costing much more.
2 members will be attending this event:

Old March 24th   #2
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I may debut the new car assuming all goes well tomorrow. I'll look like a non driver but who cares.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's all good. You might have company--there was an Exige at last week's event.
Old March 24th   #4
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

well the lotus idea didn't pan out. I was afraid it wouldn't. However if you can't beat um join um. I'm picking up a 06 Vette tomorrow.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Well, that works too. John Clarke can show you how to drive that.
Old March 29th   #6
Black Dog
Black Dog
has no status.

Howdy

Just wanted to say thanks for making us feel welcome.

I'm the 986 owner.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
Just wanted to say thanks for making us feel welcome.

I'm the 986 owner.
It was awesome to meet you. I hope you bring it out sometime and run. Once I get my tires on the 987, we'll be in the same class too. Check out the calendar for all the upcoming events. There's at least one each month for the next six months at Milton Frank. The rest will be at the old airport where the courses can't be safely made for higher speeds. But they're still fun.
Old March 29th   #8
ThaJuggalo
ThaJuggalo
has no status.

Just wanted to say on behalf of myself and the rest of the VIBE CTC that came out THANK YOU to Samir for setting us up with the ride alongs, and to the drivers that let us ride in their cars! You have some new fans!! There is already talk of forming a Vibe Autocross team now lol!!
ThaJuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th   #9
TimACRcoupe
TimACRcoupe
FWD FTW

Thanks to everyone that came out. Our next TAC event is April 24th (which is a Saturday).
TimACRcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

And here's a link to the events listing for the 24th:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/ca...=2010-4-24&c=1

Any news on the April date for TVR #1? Last I checked it was TBD.
Old March 29th   #11
tjamn68
tjamn68
has no status.

Any idea when Pics will be up???
tjamn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjamn68 View Post
Any idea when Pics will be up???
Working on them right now from Barnes and Nobles. Knology has an outage in the Madison area, so the normally lightning fast Internet is slower than dial-up. I'm doing what I can, but I'm still handicapped.
Old March 29th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Internet access is back! Time to work all night!
Old March 30th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

And 6 hours later...I can sleep...