Rocket City Mustang Club
Monthly Meetings
Casa Blanca
Every 3rd Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Local Group Forums > Rocket City Mustang Club

Rocket City Mustang Club The official forum for the Rocket City Mustang Club, one of the Mustang Clubs in the area

Old June 7th   #1
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

70Mustang progress

Well the 70 is well under way. The work on the sub-body has been a painstaking task. It's rough on the equipment and the laborer and it seems as though I am always going to buy more sand. Anyone who has done this before knows that it can really turn into a beach.
Her's a pic of the sub-body or shell. Almost all of the sandblasting is complete. just some work remaining under the backend, but guess what ? out of sand again .

I was originally concerned that the work on the small parts would fall behind the work on the body, however just about every small piece has been sandblasted, handsanded, etch primed & many other pieces allready have the final paint. (more pics later)
The cowl area of the car was in good shape with exception of the lowest spot in the cowl directly below the wiper motor. Several large pin holes. Two access holes were cut to get to some of the hard to reach areas. Here is a picture from the left side.

There will be more pics when we get to the fun part (bolting on the dozens of prepared parts) In the mean time, I have to get done with the "tub" (sub-body).
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th   #2
LMan
LMan
has no status.

good work!
N.A.S.A - SouthEast
LMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Wow, I never knew the type of work that went into restoration. You're basically re-manufacturing the whole car.
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th   #4
Puter
Puter
has no status.

*puts out a chair, throws on sunglasses, looks around for a bikini girl to get some umbrella drinks*
Volleyball anyone?

Darn good work...
Puter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th   #5
MarkDorner
MarkDorner
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
Wow, I never knew the type of work that went into restoration. You're basically re-manufacturing the whole car.
Uh...yea. It takes several years to build one of these cars correctly.
Old June 9th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDorner
Uh...yea. It takes several years to build one of these cars correctly.
I never thought the entire car had to be diassembled to that level. I can see now how a lot of the older hot rodders find the modern tuner cars so easy to work with even when they rip out the entire engine and interior--they don't have to touch the frame, just repaint to their desire.
Old June 9th   #7
MarkDorner
MarkDorner
has no status.

Here's how I spent my vacation a few years ago.

Old June 9th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDorner
Here's how I spent my vacation a few years ago.

That's an unreal amount of work! And that was just the floorpan. I have a whole new appreciation of how much work goes into restoring classic cars.
Old June 9th   #9
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

Piece by peice...

How do you eat an Elephant ?...One bite at a time..

Last edited by Samir; June 9th at 11:21 AM.
Old June 9th   #10
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

Pic working with MIT sheet metal
Old June 9th   #11
mgreene
mgreene
has no status.

New Doors & Floor pans

Greg,

Curious if ya'll are planning on using the new full repro doors? Have you found a source yet for correctly ribbed floor pans for '69-70s?
mgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th   #12
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

Mike, We are using a repro door skin on the right side. I have not had the opportunity to check out the full shell repro doors. If the are made with the Ford dies and stamps they are probably pretty good.
As for the floor pans, I have not seen that item yet for the 69-70's. We are using the 65-8's and the drain holes have come in handy several times allready, and being a convertible, if it gets rained in they might come in handy in the future.
Old June 9th   #13
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

Here's a pic of the springs. They are painted a custom light blue. We paint every set of springs a different color so you know at a glance what they are or which car they go to.
Old June 28th   #14
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

are you doing a restoration or restomod . what drivetrain are you planning on
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th   #15
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

Hoss, Each piece is being restored but not to any "organization's" book or standard. We are building a really nice "street machine" or "street rod". Resto-mod is kind of a confusing term to me. This is a restoration with many "upgrades" and using "add-ons" that came factory on other '70 Mustang models.
This '70 convertible is like none that I have seen many of. It was factory equipped with a 4bbl 351C, FMX transmission,power disc brakes, power steering, 9" diffy, dual exhaust,deluxe interior. We will retain all of these factory options and we are adding factory AC in the dash with a 134-A upgrade and rotary compressor. This Mustang has all of the options that a Mach I would have had, but Ford never built a Mach I convertible. We are not using the Mach I trim or dress, but for the moment, we are keeping the "paint scheme" under wraps. We are using the factory Wimbeldon white exterior color as a base. I think everyone will like the finished product though. Thanks, Greg

Last edited by Greg G; June 28th at 11:17 AM.
Old June 28th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Wow, sounds like a beauty in the making. Can't wait to see it around.
Old June 28th   #17
HOSS429
HOSS429

i must agree. my 69 was a rush to finish job that is now a twenty footer but i like it anyway. i am almost to old to do what you are doing .but it simply must be done that way to do it right. keep up the good work and keep posting the results
Old June 28th   #18
HOSS429
HOSS429

and also.. a resto mod to me is old skin with modern drivetrain. which is what the guy i got my mustang from had in mind. he had a 04 rollover that he planned to reskin with 69 metal but decided against it. so i bought it and made a wimpy 302 sports roof into a BOSS ( HOSS 429) clone. but indeed after you have described what you have you are doing the correct thing.
Old June 28th   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Resto mods can be quite nice too. There's a Chevy II that's local that is completely fuel injected and turbo. And it's as fast as it is pretty.
Old June 28th   #20
Greg G
Greg G
has no status.

Thanks for the complements guys, we look forward to it being finished. We are close to being able to undercoat the underside. This will be the first time that we use a 2-part pick-up truck bedliner material for undercoating. After that, we will be painting the sub-body and then the semi-gloss black on the front third, then we will be ready to bolt on all of the front suspension and install the 9 inch differential. All of those parts are sitting ready. I'm glad we have them prepped. I guess this isn't a resto-mod, I'm still searching for a word, maybe restored Mustang with add-ons ?