Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

WEUP Car & Bike Show
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

August 13th to August 14th 02:00 PM to 11:30 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Alabama A&M University Agribition Center, 4925 Moores Mill Road, Huntsville, AL 35811-1511

Registration for this event is $50. Vehicles must be inside the building by 10:30a on Saturday. Classes are the following:
  • Classic Car (1988 or older)
  • Chopper (motorcycle)
  • Sport Bike (motorcycle)
  • Cruiser (motorcycle)
  • Custom Import
  • Customized Car
  • Customized SUV/Truck
  • Other
This event is more like an expo and concert. There will be various cars and bikes on display by well known celebrities, and if you're registered, you'll be parked right beside theirs. Some celebrities will also be present, making this a unique meet and greet opportunity as well. As the bookings on the celebrities are confirmed, I'll add the details here.

Click here to see the gallery. Buy photo prints and gifts!
All proceeds help pay Huntsville Car Scene bills.

After I recovered from the heat of the day from the Ardmore Show, I decided to swing by and see if this event was still going on because it was indoors. And sure enough it was still going strong. A good number of local cars came out to be on display with cars from Atlanta's Big Block Entertainment. Their centerpiece is a vehicle called 'Donkasaurus' that even has its own song and web site at www.thedonkasaurus.com. I was able to get close to this very custom Impala and even met someone who claimed to be the owner of the vehicle. But either he wasn't the owner, or the most egocentric vehicle owner I've ever met, initially refusing to even take a HCS passout slip or show any respect to the coverage I was bringing to his vehicle. It definitely changed my attitude on wanting to cover the event.

cLc brought out his r34 Skyline as part of a display next to a clean local Supra.

The atmosphere was loud and definitely adult with the music shouting obscenities regularly. I didn't stay for the concert portion of the event and instead headed out to Cafe 302.

This is a different type of car show for the community, and while it isn't my cup of tea, it definitely has its appeal to the participants that were there, and shows a lesser seen side of Huntsville's car scene.
1 members will be attending this event:

Old July 29th   #2
fantastic4
fantastic4
has no status.

Maybe I should trailer back and park next to Jasper.
fantastic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

^I have no idea who you are or who your talking about but seriously dude get over it. You have a show car.....wow I'm so impressed.

I could be wrong but I don't see that many people pay $50 to enter there car in a local show.......

Did anyone go last year? I had thought about until I found out it was like $10 or $15 just to get in.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th   #4
fantastic4
fantastic4
has no status.

Wasn't talking about you, I don't you so don't worry about it.
Old August 9th   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDM View Post
I could be wrong but I don't see that many people pay $50 to enter there car in a local show.......

Did anyone go last year? I had thought about until I found out it was like $10 or $15 just to get in.
WEUP called me about this event and how HCS can be involved. When I was asking about the concept, it's not like a traditional car show. It's more of an car expo and concert merged with car show aspects. $50 is a lot when you compare it to traditional car shows, but this is a different concept.

A few people did go last year. If I would've gotten a press pass last year (I have them this year), I would've covered the event.
Old August 12th   #6
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Is Smiley running it? lol $50, 8 classes...including "other"
Seriously though, if it wasn't WEUP running it, I'd think it was another con man trying to scam Huntsville.

I'm not knocking the show...but seriously, its $40 for 2 passes to a 2-day show at the end of this month in Memphis which will have street trucks, truckin, mini truckin, hot rodder, drop jaw, SoCalCustoms, etc. magazine coverage at it not to mention Sickness Video, Domination Video, etc. as far as coverage is concerned. They have usually around 75 awards not including the "best of" awards.

$50 for a one day show with nothing other than some music doesn't seem too practical to someone who actually does car shows on a regular basis. If they want the local show cars to come out and represent on a large scale...DROP THE PRICE and adding some classes wouldn't hurt.

I actually thought about entering the suburban in this one since Ardmore is 99% classic cars...but then I saw the price. Then I had to be at my office out of town...so no shows for me this weekend...booooooooooooooooooooo...
Old August 12th   #7
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEUP's Website
"This Year's Show will be Hosted by BLOCK ENT's Russel "BIG BLOCK" Spencer - "Kirkwood, Ga....Zone 6"!! He's bringing his "Donkasurus" and looking for someone to beat him!!!!"
Not the way to get people to pay $50 to enter a show. I haven't seen one donk that can come close to this one in this area. But, if you want to include other stuff to "beat it" then:

...just sayin'

I know they may not all be "donks" but hey...are they just looking for donks to be in the show?
Old August 19th   #8
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Wow $50 to park on dirt...........thats whats up!!!!

To each his own........I'm assumg donk-zilla-sorus-rex is the burnt orange one???? Once again to each his own.
Old August 19th   #9
LagoGarda
LagoGarda
is back from trip to Lago Garda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ51 View Post
Wow $50 to park on dirt...........thats whats up!!!!

To each his own........I'm assumg donk-zilla-sorus-rex is the burnt orange one???? Once again to each his own.
Thought it was "indoors"....I kinda base my attendance on what cause money is being raised for.....
LagoGarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I'm assumg donk-zilla-sorus-rex is the burnt orange one????
Yep.
Old August 20th   #11
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

So basically they did 30k worth of work to a $500 car........awesome idea!
Old August 20th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
So basically they did 30k worth of work to a $500 car........awesome idea!
Actually, they spent about $240k. But the cost aspect can be applied to almost any car that undergoes restoration or modification. If you're modifying to increase the value, you'll almost never get your money back.
Old August 20th   #13
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Actually, they spent about $240k. But the cost aspect can be applied to almost any car that undergoes restoration or modification. If you're modifying to increase the value, you'll almost never get your money back.
They got ripped off...........as far as the modifying to increase value I see where your coming from but.......think about resto mods and clone cars. You take for example 67-69 RS/SS Camaro and either make it a clone car (Z-28, SS 396, Yenko....whatever) or put a LSX in it with AC, power seats, etc. and I assure you'd make money on the car. Look at Barret Jackson the past few years, these have been some of the hottest selling cars at the auction. Granted you would need to do a lot of the work yourself but it's very realistic to make good money like that. Sorry I'm just kind of a nerd when it comes to this stuff. I kinda look at it like the car stock market.......lol.
Old August 20th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
...as far as the modifying to increase value I see where your coming from but.......think about resto mods and clone cars. You take for example 67-69 RS/SS Camaro and either make it a clone car (Z-28, SS 396, Yenko....whatever) or put a LSX in it with AC, power seats, etc. and I assure you'd make money on the car. Look at Barret Jackson the past few years, these have been some of the hottest selling cars at the auction. Granted you would need to do a lot of the work yourself but it's very realistic to make good money like that. Sorry I'm just kind of a nerd when it comes to this stuff. I kinda look at it like the car stock market.......lol.
I agree with you, and definitely can see the financial analyst point-of-view as my dad drove that into my head growing up. But because there is a lot of value in a car which is special to someone that can't translate to a dollar value--nostalgia, family memories, etc., most people will spend more dollar-wise than they otherwise will recoup dollar-wise. I know. I'm guilty of it myself on every car I own.