Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Alabama Drift Hosts Drift Practice
Calendar: Events Calendar
Dozier  
September 19th 10:00 AM to 04:30 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Chilton County Dragway, 8335 Al Hwy 191, Maplesville, AL 36750

2 members will be attending this event:

Old August 7th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Awesome! Thank you for the post!
Old August 7th   #3
Dozier
Dozier
has no status.

Samir...For some reason, I cannot edit my thread. Post this up top and delete the other flyer please sir. Thank you.

Dozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Do you mind if I leave the original description of the event in there as well? I think it gives a lot more information than the newer flyer. I've also added links to the discussion threads so that will help keep people up to speed.
Old August 8th   #5
Dozier
Dozier
has no status.

Looks good to me. Honestly...I would clean up the thread. Delete my posts and yours with just the original post up top.
Old August 10th   #6
Dozier
Dozier
has no status.

Wow...I really can't believe this has not brought any more interest.

I wish Huntsville Drift was still around so I could post it there. I know they would roll down.
Old August 10th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Don't fret--it takes time for word to get around. I've talked to some of the drift guys about this in passing. I think most everyone will know about it as the date comes closer. The drift community in Huntsville is quite small as a percentage of the entire scene. And the traffic here also reflects that.

I don't know of any of the drift guys getting on here and regularly checking the calendar a month in advance. In fact, I doubt there's many site visitors that do that.
Old August 10th   #8
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Send a message via AIM to HDP 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozier View Post
Wow...I really can't believe this has not brought any more interest.

I wish Huntsville Drift was still around so I could post it there. I know they would roll down.
More interest as in more post in this thread? I was under the impression you wanted your thread cleaned up and all posts deleted except the first one... I wouldn't be suprised if others got the same impression.
87 Mazda RX7 TII (drag car)

"When it happens I won't even notice... I'll be too busy looking good!"
HDP 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th   #9
Dozier
Dozier
has no status.

Yes, cleaned up from babblings from Samir and I. I would like to see some comments from the community.
Old August 12th   #10
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
Honestly, its going to be a difficult road, but if you stick with it then maybe it will take off. I tried for a couple of years to bring safety and legality to drifting here in Huntsville, only to be basically told "we don't want to do it legally" because the support from the drift community in Huntsville dwindled down.

What happened is all of the people that were illegally doing it were complaining because they had nowhere to safely do what they liked to do...plus the cops would always show up and run everyone off. SO, me being me, decided to organize it and provide an outlet at the only place in town where such a thing would be practical and the facility owners would allow it...Huntsville Speedway. There are 3 other places in town where it would have been practical. All have said there will be NO DRIFTING allowed at those facilities. I had a practice schedule for everyone to come once a week to practice on a track we laid out. I even held judged events there that paid cash prizes to the winners, but obviously paying $300 or so to someone to have fun safely and legally with no chance of going to jail for trespassing or causing damage to private property wasn't acceptable. I caught a lot of flack for it, probably because I was the only one that delivered on my promise, but in the end it bit me in the rear because folks decided they didn't want to do it anymore. Now everyone's cars are messed up, blown up, tore up, or sold because there's nowhere but parking lots with light poles and parking stops to drift...and even then your time is limited because the cops will show up within a matter of minutes. If they are still doing it, they are travelling a couple of hours and paying in excess of $100 just for "practice sessions" whereas it was only $25 to enter my cash prizes event, $5 per car for practice.

Street racing = remote location, dark long straight road. Drifting = well lit parking lot usually smack dab in the middle of a populated area. Sure, businesses, etc. may be closed, but they have security and security cameras, etc. at those businesses. I wont organize anything like a drift event again. I put in way too much work and effort to be let down by the same folks that were asking for what I was able to provide for them, and I wont do it again. Lesson learned.

LOL!!! Sorry about the rant...just had to get that out of my system!
Old August 12th   #11
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

By the way, I got you listed on Showstopperz Event Calendar.
Old August 12th   #12
Dozier
Dozier
has no status.

Wow...That is encouraging. LOL

Thanks for listing on showstoppers.
Old August 13th   #13
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

LOL!! I didn't say all that to discourage you. I just want you to know the mistakes I made and the work that you're going to have to do behind the scenes to get it to succeed. My biggest issue was trying to go too big too soon I think, and not being completely informed and educated on the "drift scene" if you will. "If you build it they will come" doesn't necessarily happen outside of the movie screen. I built it, I advertised it, and only a handful came. That was fine, but when it was the same handful week in and week out, it got worn out and folks wanted something new. It was kinda like a reverse pyramid...small on bottom, big on top, and it just toppled over. If I would have had the financial backing to build it up, or possibly get sanctioned it would have most definitely been different, but I didn't.

You have a good location, now all you gotta do is get the ATL and TN folks on board. That was key for me, and it didn't happen.
Old August 13th   #14
Dozier
Dozier
has no status.

Ok, I see what your saying. The only thiing different from me and you though is that the location I am using, I don't have to rent. I also only have to pay for the guy to open the gate. I know the owner of the track and he is cool with us using it. So regardless if we have a big turnout or not, it is a spot for my local group to drift in daylight, legally, and we only pay 5 bucks to do it. That is the cheapest I have ever heard. Second closest in price will be in Tennessee for 85 bucks.
Old August 13th   #15
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Yep...that is a good deal. You used to be able to come to Huntsville and do it for $5 every Tuesday from 4 until 9, but yeah...I already told you about that...lol

Good luck with it man, and if I can help in any way just holler at me!
Old August 16th   #16
Dozier
Dozier
has no status.

Actually there is one thing I need help with....

If you can find some cones for me that would be greatly appreciated. I have about 20 so far. But I think we will need about 30 or so more. If I can borrow them, or perhaps purchase them, I will do so.

Thanks.
Old August 16th   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I would talk to the Birmingham region of the SCCA and see if they'll let you borrow some cones. And if they don't let you borrow them, they can steer you in the right direction for purchasing them.

SCCA also has a drift division, and while the Huntsville region is strongly opposed to ever holding an event, the Birmingham region may be more open to the idea. Their web site is www.alscca.org.

Edit: I stand corrected on SCCA having a drift division. It seems that never caught on. Nevertheless, people in the the Birmingham region SCCA still may be interested in helping with your event.

Last edited by Samir; August 16th at 09:42 AM. Reason: additional information
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th   #18
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozier View Post
Actually there is one thing I need help with....

If you can find some cones for me that would be greatly appreciated. I have about 20 so far. But I think we will need about 30 or so more. If I can borrow them, or perhaps purchase them, I will do so.

Thanks.
Honestly, I left all the cones I had at the Speedway. All they would have done was junked up my garage and I knew I wouldn't need them anymore, so I just left them there. I probably had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 or 30. Really what I used to do was just look on the roadsides. Those cones fall off trucks all the time, and I'd just pull over and pick them up - I got 20 or 30 out of it lol
Old August 20th   #19
calinkaos
calinkaos
has no status.

I would come down, but the thought of getting a busted tire or a scratch in the paint of my 2010 SS is too scary. Hell tires alone are 400$ a piece.... maybe i can find a beater and bring it by.
calinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

If you can't drive, go check out the driving. It's the same cost either way.