Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old August 18th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Van Streetracing?

This is from a few years ago, and I don't know exactly how I ran into it. Anyone remember this?
Quote:
By Drew Johnson

While street racing is a serious problem in some communities, an incident that occurred this past weekend really has us scratching our heads. Two Comcast employees were reportedly racing their company vans through the streets of Huntsville, Alabama when one driver lost control and slammed into a car carrying a grandmother and her two grandchildren.

The impact was so severe that the Comcast van actually flipped before landing on its wheels. Eyewitnesses say the vans were clearly racing each other, with speeds hitting at least 75 mph. The posted speed limit on the road where the incident occurred is 50 mph.

While the Comcast driver and two of the three passengers in the other vehicle emerged relatively unharmed, three-year-old Kayleen Smith is still unconscious at a local hospital. Doctors have removed Smith from life support, but are uncertain if she will ever regain consciousness.

Amazingly, no charges have been filed against the Comcast driver, but police are investigating the incident.

Comcast says it will cooperate with local authorities, but is keeping tight-lipped about the accident and the current status of the two employees.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/two-stre...conscious.html
Old August 18th   #2
HDP 7
HDP 7
has rotary powah!!!

Send a message via AIM to HDP 7
Any up-to-date info on this incident?
87 Mazda RX7 TII (drag car)

"When it happens I won't even notice... I'll be too busy looking good!"
HDP 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

This was years ago, but I never heard anything about it. That really surprised me.
Old August 18th   #4
Mediarocker
Mediarocker
hasn't been on in a while...

Wow. Thats crazy. The cops get up my ass about doing 1 over the limit but I see those work trucks and vans passing by me (doing the speed limit) all the time. Its time they do something about this. All the fleet vehicles i've ever driven were speed limited to 70 MPH. How did these vehicles (Work vans of all vehicles???) slip under the radar?

Last edited by Mediarocker; August 18th at 10:17 PM.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th   #5
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Because this was a minor / infant that was injuried, it was kept confidential after the first reporting. The only way after this would be if any court documents or lawsuits were filed that would be public records. If filed in probate or juvenile court, those are kept confidential.
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th   #6
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Saw an update post dated June 13, 2008 that stated: "Kayleen Smith is now off life support, but is still unconscious."
Old August 19th   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
Because this was a minor / infant that was injuried, it was kept confidential after the first reporting. The only way after this would be if any court documents or lawsuits were filed that would be public records. If filed in probate or juvenile court, those are kept confidential.
That explains why there was no followups to the story. But I'm actually surprised there wasn't any legal action; unless Comcast simply settled before things escalated to a court case. That would make sense since it would have been a PR debacle.
Old August 19th   #8
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

There was a lawsuit and settlement filed in Madison County, but it was ruled and ordered confidential and sealed from the public eyes.
Old August 19th   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
There was a lawsuit and settlement filed in Madison County, but it was ruled and ordered confidential and sealed from the public eyes.
Interesting. How is sealing something like this possible?
Old August 19th   #10
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

The parties involved agree that they will not discuss the settlement; that this document is not filed, scanned or published to any outside source. Basically sealed in an envelope and possibly filed in a vault - whatever & wherever the court system has to keep these documents under cover.
Old August 19th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Hmmm...someone had to be well compensated to not basically agree to a non-disclosure agreement involving their child. I guess justice was served in the end.
Old August 20th   #12
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

But since you brought this back up, I cannot find anywhere if the child did survive. I truly hope so, and that she will be fine. But I guess I will never know.