Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old July 1st   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

What Makes Older Cars Cool?

What is it about the older cars that makes them just as exciting (if not more exciting) as newer ones?

Is it the styling? Is it the notalgia? Is it the drive? Is it the women that swoon? j/k. What do you think?
Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st   #2
Unregistered
Unregistered
has no status.
Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir
What is it about the older cars that makes them just as exciting (if not more exciting) as newer ones?

Is it the styling? Is it the notalgia? Is it the drive? Is it the women that swoon? j/k. What do you think?
Age = Beauty As you grow older and more mature you will find that out.
Old July 1st   #3
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Age = Beauty As you grow older and more mature you will find that out.
lol! Depends on your definition of beauty and how you look in the mirror.

But classic styles and designs aren't neccessarily old in my book. For example, this picture:

Now while this is an older Corvette, I really can't tell how old. It could be 30 years old, it could be 10 years old. There's a sense of timelessness in the lines. That's one of the things that gets me about older cars. And then there's the feeling of witnessing history. Like going back in time.
Old July 1st   #4
HOSS429
HOSS429
not getting old .getting better

for me it is just pleasent memories. most good .some sad. i had friends killed in cars i remember. i could go on and on but i will do that in my Car Stories posts
HOSS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st   #5
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

And a lot the value of the older cars is actually tied to memories. I remember a discussion at one of the Rocket City Mustang Club meetings about how the value on a lot of the older cars drops off once the generation who had memories with them pass away.

I guess to a certain extent it is a feeling of comfort to be around something from your youth. It's the way every generation is tied to the music they grew around. It's just comforting somehow.
Old July 1st   #6
HOSS429
HOSS429

styling is definately selling the 05 mustang. while pontiac can hardly give away the gto
Old July 1st   #7
Nevr2loS10
Nevr2loS10
has no status.

Send a message via AIM to Nevr2loS10
women that swoon?...hah!...bi***es dig the switches no joke!....older cars are cool because they have been around and yet still look pristine(sp)...

Body dropped 84 s10 and 20s for sale hit me up if interested
Nevr2loS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd   #8
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Send a message via AIM to JayMack75 Send a message via Yahoo to JayMack75
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that those cars were cutting edge and thats whats got us to where we are today. All the designers that laid out those body lines on those big chunks of metal...all the research that went into milking all that horsepower out of the powerhouses in the old muscle cars. Oh yes...there was horsepower. I saw something one time where it was mentioned that in NASCAR when they wrecked out their car, they would go rent a car, put numbers on it, and take it to the racetrack. Of course that was before there were a lot of strict rules such as having roll cages, and they could still run glass windshields...but just being able to take a street car and throw it on the track at Daytona, race ready, is just amazing to me. PLUS the older cars were built to last. They weren't some computer ridden, electronically overkilled styrofoam beer cooler car like there are today. All you had to do back when is bolt on or machining...now its bolt ons, machining, programming, re-programming, rewiring, wiring harnesses, rerouting around factory programs, check engine lights, etc. What ever happened to strapping a supercharger to it and not worrying whether your car was going to have an electronic malfunction.
Old July 2nd   #9
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

But let's not forget how much all the technology of the newer cars has brought to us as well. Who knew you could have a 800 horsepower car and drive it on the street every day like Gary does in his straight 6 Supra. Or have 380+ whp awd out of a turbo inline 4 like Victor in the Galant and Evo and still be able to take friends for a ride or carry 4 passengers. I think the practicality of power has become easier due to the electronics that power todays machines.
Old July 2nd   #10
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
But let's not forget how much all the technology of the newer cars has brought to us as well. Who knew you could have a 800 horsepower car and drive it on the street every day like Gary does in his straight 6 Supra. Or have 380+ whp awd out of a turbo inline 4 like Victor in the Galant and Evo and still be able to take friends for a ride or carry 4 passengers. I think the practicality of power has become easier due to the electronics that power todays machines.
I agree with that too. I mean like I said, if it hadn't been for the muscle cars from back when, then the cars that are doing all the power these days may never have come to pass. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the newer cars...but there's a certain something about the old fashioned hot rods and lead sleds that will probably never be surpassed because of their reputation and they're just classics.
Old July 2nd   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I see where you're coming from. And I know the feeling. It's amazing to look under the hood of something making 300+ hp and it's just so simple and so roomy. The classic Mustangs are a great example of this. I look in the engine bay and can see the ground! Try that in a modern day machine. In fact, try finding the engine in some, lol.
Old July 3rd   #12
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
I see where you're coming from. And I know the feeling. It's amazing to look under the hood of something making 300+ hp and it's just so simple and so roomy. The classic Mustangs are a great example of this. I look in the engine bay and can see the ground! Try that in a modern day machine. In fact, try finding the engine in some, lol.
All that space = room for a big block...lol
Old July 3rd   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMack75
All that space = room for a big block...lol
Tell me about it. That's all that come to mind when I see all that room--"hey, you can put a turbo here, or a big block here, there's plenty of room or an intercooler here."
Old July 3rd   #14
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
Tell me about it. That's all that come to mind when I see all that room--"hey, you can put a turbo here, or a big block here, there's plenty of room or an intercooler here."
heheheh I got a big block...factory installed...and I love it. I can't wait to strap a supercharger to it though.
Old July 5th   #15
HOSS429
HOSS429

in the mid 70 s when i cruised huntsville in my hand me down musclecars. north parkway hardies to handy dans parking lot to gex parking lot . the older guys( uncool) would gather at the a&w on drake ave. in their cars from the 30 -40- 50 - and 60S. times have not changed all that much. and hopefully wont in the future . there will always be people to whom a car is more than just a way to get from a to b . and their ride will reflect upon their personality
Old July 5th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I remember Handy Dan!! I also remember when they changed it to Handy City.
Old July 5th   #17
JayMack75
JayMack75
www.showstopperz.net

Quote:
I remember Handy Dan!! I also remember when they changed it to Handy City.
Me too. Now I feel old. lol
Old July 5th   #18
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

But I'm not old! Well, at least most people don't know I am.
Old July 6th   #19
Puter
Puter
has no status.

What is considered "older" these days?

One of mine is 21 years old, the other is 16. And my truck is 18. Yet, it appears that this thread is about the late 60's and early 70's cars. I have to admit, having one that is 21 years old with over 241,000 miles and still drive it every day to work, to get groceries, is a challenge.

Yet, I have owned some really "cool older" cars - 69 GS400 Stage I, 70 SS396, 70 442, 72 GS455, and a 69 GTO Judge. At the time, I liked the lines, the "sporty" look, the sweet music of the exhaust, and the performance that these gave back in the day. Nowadays it is almost sad to think that my "older" 21-year-old car is more comfortable (full power, tilt, and cold A/C), more practical (18/25MPG), and can give out a better time slip at the track.

It's definitely the nostalgia. Has anyone noticed that the new Thunderbird is mostly driven by an older crowd?
Puter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I noticed that! I haven't seen one young driver of one of those. Even the new Mustang with its retro design pieces calls to those that remember the original pieces.

I think we all find things of our youth or childhood more comforting. Times were simpler then for us and we probably had more of a sense of security and less worry. Anything from that era probably beats anything new that's coming up.