Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old September 2nd   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

The New Honda CR-Z

Just got this from Honda:
Quote:
The all-new CR-Z sport hybrid is a stylish, driver-focused, two-passenger coupe with quick, agile handling-and it's available now. A 1.5-liter i-VTEC(R) 4-cylinder engine works with Honda's unique Integrated Motor Assist IMA(R) system to supply both power and efficiency. The sport-focused, six-speed manual transmission should be reason enough to venture over to
the CR-Z website. Check out the interactive demo, then head on over to build and price your CR-Z.
I'm not too impressed. 31/37 from a manual hybrid? Wasn't the old CRX HF able to blow this out of the water? I even think my 94 Accord LX in a manual configuration can almost do this.
Old September 4th   #2
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

i don't like the styling. looks to much like a cross over in the rear. the 2nd gen CRX looked much better.
Old September 6th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

drove one...............wasn't impressed. I'm really really starting to get upset with honda. they would rather build a minivan then a sports car.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I think I saw one earlier today. I wasn't impressed either. Too much like the insight versus a sports car.

And I agree that Honda USA has been going downhill. My friend's 98 Accord had more problems than my 94. And the ones built today are probably even worse.
Old October 6th   #5
Mediarocker
Mediarocker
hasn't been on in a while...

I'm also upset with how they make their cars sound decent in commercials.. and when you drive them.. they sound like shit.

I'm sick of Hondas.. i'm glad I didn't buy one...

Want "Sport Hybrid" done right?

Look at Porsche and their GT-3 R Hybrid.... Can't wait to see it in Le Mans....

Last edited by Mediarocker; October 6th at 02:18 AM.
Mediarocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediarocker View Post
Look at Porsche and their GT-3 R Hybrid.... Can't wait to see it in Le Mans....
Another great hybrid I'm looking forward to is the Fisker Karma. 0-60 in 5 seconds, top speed of 125mph, and 900+ ft/lbs of torque? Yes, please.
Old February 19th   #7
Minichado
Minichado
could use a mental health day

Honda CR-Z

I just test drove the CR-Z Hybrid with a standard transmission. It was very impressive for what it is. The 'econ' and 'sport' mode buttons make it two completely different cars. In econ, it felt underpowered, careful, and very quiet. Engine cuts off when you roll to a stop, and cuts back on the instant you put it into first gear. It also yelled at me for sitting at a light with the clutch down and not in gear!! (I usually wait for the light to drop it into first) Very strange starting in first gear when your not sure if the engine is in gear or the electric motor is working.

In sport mode, I'm not sure what it does, but the exhaust instantly gets a different growl. I did a test too, cruising at one speed in econ, I hit the sport button without moving my foot on the gas, and the car immediately started picking up some speed, and at a brisk pace.

Not the fastest 2 door coop, and not the most efficient hybrid, but its very driver oriented and was a blast to drive. They let me take it on a loop from jordan to 565 and parkway south back to the dealership. Plus, the top end version (all perks, satellite nav and bluetooth) was only 23k. S2000 would blow it out of the water but for another 15k maybe? and you don't get to say that your driving a standard hybrid!!!

Anyone else driven this car? Thoughts? I have a Fit and love it, so maybe the quickness of the car being a lighter and a somewhat better power/weight ratio made it more fun for me.
Minichado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Sounds like you had a lot of fun with it. It's good to hear a different perspective. It's interesting to hear your description of the two modes. That's way beyond the sport buttons of the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minichado View Post
S2000 would blow it out of the water but for another 15k maybe?
The s2000s have come down in cost quite a lot, and you can pick up a pristine one for $23k. There's actually a big resurgence in interest in the car now that it's much more affordable.
Old February 19th   #9
Minichado
Minichado

I see the rest of this thread now, thanks for the move Samir ^.^

I'm reading the other folks opinions (and only take them as that!) and I thought I'd throw these two cents in.

(IMHO)

A hybrid cannot be a top performance car. Unless you strap a really powerful electric motor (and its associated several hundred KG battery) into a Ferarri. Would be a fun experiment though ...

It really depends on how you choose to drive though. I read a disclaimer on the sticker that said "average users will get 30 to 44 mpg in usage" I imagine if you use econ mode and do all highway driving you could push 50 mpg easy in the car, and likewise if you keep it in sport mode and drive like, er, me... you would get closer to 30.... I drive really aggressive in the Fit and get 34 MPG average, I have a friend who gets 42 just driving way more responsibly. I can't remember what the sticker said when I bought it (maybe 34 or 36) but there is alot of driver variance.

I think the purpose of the CR-Z is to have the capacity to be fuel efficient and also the capacity to be zippy and fun. I would definitely get an S2000 if I had a separate daily driver, but I doubt it would be useful to me as one due to the lack of storage space and the MPG. As much as I drive, my car simply has to have the ability to get good mileage.

To be honest, the Tesla roadster beats the heck out of both of those cars, but when I look at price I tend back towards Honda (heh).... Oh, dare to dream!!!

and btw, my wife things CR-Z is hideous ^.^
Old February 19th   #10
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I see the rest of this thread now, thanks for the move Samir ^.^
No problem.
Quote:
I'm reading the other folks opinions (and only take them as that!)...
And I would highly recommend that approach. Nothing when it comes to automotive 'feel' can ever be fact.
Quote:
A hybrid cannot be a top performance car.
Unless you let Bisimoto get a hold of one.
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=3475
Quote:
It really depends on how you choose to drive though. I read a disclaimer on the sticker that said "average users will get 30 to 44 mpg in usage" I imagine if you use econ mode and do all highway driving you could push 50 mpg easy in the car, and likewise if you keep it in sport mode and drive like, er, me... you would get closer to 30.... I drive really aggressive in the Fit and get 34 MPG average, I have a friend who gets 42 just driving way more responsibly. I can't remember what the sticker said when I bought it (maybe 34 or 36) but there is alot of driver variance.
Yeah, most cars have a pretty good variance depending on how they're driven, especially when any resistance is opened up with a good intake, header, and exhaust system.
Quote:
I think the purpose of the CR-Z is to have the capacity to be fuel efficient and also the capacity to be zippy and fun. I would definitely get an S2000 if I had a separate daily driver, but I doubt it would be useful to me as one due to the lack of storage space and the MPG. As much as I drive, my car simply has to have the ability to get good mileage.
I know what you mean about the s2000 lacking space. A two-door sports convertible doesn't leave much room for anything.
Quote:
To be honest, the Tesla roadster beats the heck out of both of those cars, but when I look at price I tend back towards Honda (heh).... Oh, dare to dream!!!
But the problem with the Tesla is that once it's out of power, you're stuck for hours as it re-charges. That's why I like the Fisker Karma.
Old February 19th   #11
Minichado
Minichado

I know there are hybrid performance cars persay, but I was leading up to my ferarri wise crack.

I had not heard of the fisker karma, it looks pretty sleek. The tesla could charge while I'm at work for 8 hours, and when I sleep at night.. would work just perfect!!!
Old February 19th   #12
Minichado
Minichado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
Unless you let Bisimoto get a hold of one.
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/showthread.php?t=3475
Oh, that... I'd take that in a jiffy, but that price thing creeps back up on me
Old February 19th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Oh, that... I'd take that in a jiffy, but that price thing creeps back up on me
Yeah, for the price, getting something else may make more sense.
Old February 19th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
I had not heard of the fisker karma, it looks pretty sleek.
I think it's a car that will change the future. Take a look:
http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com/ca...=2010-5-10&c=1
Old February 20th   #15
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

1991 CRX hf > CRZ
Old February 20th   #16
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
1991 CRX hf > CRZ
How did yours do on mileage when you had it?
Old February 20th   #17
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I had an Si. Which had a 1.6 as opposed to a 1.5. The transmission is also a lot lower geared. I still averaged around 42 on the highway and 30-32 city.
Old February 21st   #18
ITSFAST
ITSFAST
---BAZINGA!

Same here in my Si. I always saw 30's in town, but never took it out on long trips.
I wish I still had that car, it was mint. One owner (judge owned), dealer maintained car that was hardly driven.
Old February 21st   #19
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Wow, I didn't know you had one of those too. I actually couldn't picture you with one since you're taller than I am. The CRX always seemed like it would be a little cramped for anyone 6 foot tall or taller.
Old February 22nd   #20
jymor
jymor
has no status.

I had an 84 CRX 1.5 and then an 88 Si. Both were great cars. It was amazing how much you could carry in them and still get great gas mileage. Haven't seen many CRZs on the road, but did see one at the dealership the other day.
jymor is offline   Reply With Quote