Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old September 3rd   #1
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

where to buy HID lights

my lincoln has projection low beams and fog. i was looking to upgrade to hids because the h11 bulbs are crap.. sylvania doesnt make a silverstar ultra in the h11... i have seen alot of kits on ebay but not sure if they are any good and not really sure what i need.. if anyone has bought any local ,was wondering where and how much... they are around 100.00 on ebay, thanx
cheesepuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

When it comes to hid conversion kiys, my belief is that you do get what you pay for. So look at what the good kits go for, and then use that as a base to figure out if the ebay ones or local ones are the better way to go.

Another thing I'd look into is h11 bulbs by PIAA. I've had PIAAs before and they were a huge improvement over stock. even better than the sylvanias.
Old September 4th   #3
Wilson!
Wilson!
is wishing he was in a kayak on the river...

www.ddmtuning.com they sell high quality hid kits in 35 or 55w with a lifetime warranty. Their kits use the new digital slim ballast. I have use several of their kits and been very pleased with them. They also sell the relay harness that matches the kits so the headlight switch just activates a relay and the power for the lights come straight from the battery.
Old September 5th   #4
dmcmahan12
dmcmahan12
Nissan power now!!!

www.lightwerkz.net is a great company for HID kits and a great price. Check them out.
dmcmahan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th   #5
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

thanx guys, i will check these out... i had a bulb to blow tonite on the way home!
Old September 6th   #6
ducky
ducky
has no status.

just so you know, DDM sells low quality stuff. it works, but its low quality.
ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th   #7
Wilson!
Wilson!

Since when? Everything I have gotten from them has been top notch. I currently have their kit on my wife's car, and the kit is great. I believe they even use Phillips digital ballast. All parts carry a lifetime warranty as well. Not many cheap kits have a lifetime warranty.
Old September 6th   #8
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

i found some kits on v-leds.com. They are 79.00 a kit. how hard is it to hook up the hid kits?
Old September 6th   #9
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

i am thinkin of goin with the 6000 hid {slight blue tint} for low beams and for the fogs i cant decide on the same blue or go with yellow...i am also changing the lights under my headlights to led blue tint also.... there are three bulbs under the headlights .. what yall think about yellow fogs? including a pic of front of car.

Last edited by Samir; September 6th at 09:10 PM. Reason: removed extra tags
Old September 6th   #10
Wilson!
Wilson!

the old base DDM kits were made by APEX. they changed suppliers and are now using only slim digital ballast and starters that are made by Phillips, where the slim ballast were optional before. ducky had to of been talking about the APEX kits, yes they were junk. The new Philips kits are great.

DDM has 55w kits for $45. the kits are plug and play, but i would highly suggest getting a relay harness. you can buy them from DDM for $12.50 or make your own for just a couple bucks.

another note, the 55w colors are different than the 35w colors. the high wattage tends to wash out the color and you have to go with a higher K if you want blueish light. the 55w in my wife's car are 8k and are just starting to get into the blue spectrum. 6k in 55w is going to be a VERY bright VERY white light.

Last edited by Wilson!; September 6th at 06:55 PM.
Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th   #11
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

the one i was looking at was 35 watt.. i had read that the 55 watt can get a little hot in the small projection enclosures.. so your saying the 35 watt will b a little more blue than the 55 watt?
Old September 6th   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepuff View Post
...and for the fogs i cant decide on the same blue or go with yellow...what yall think about yellow fogs?
Back in the day when I was looking into getting different bulbs and the various color temperatures from PIAA, I called them up and talked to them first. I went with a bluer, brighter light for the main bulbs, but because fog and rain washes out the bluer light more easily reducing visibility in the rain versus stock, PIAA recommended yellow for the fogs. The setup worked very, very well giving me increased visibility in all kinds of weather. My choice would be yellow fogs, no contest.
Old September 7th   #13
Munchie
Munchie
is purging all the poo out of his life!

Send a message via AIM to Munchie
I have used and installed many of DDMs setups and have never run into a problem with any of them. I have used the old Apexcone and new Slim kits, they are both great setups. I have even had one instance where I had a ballast go bad from being submerged in mud and called them up and they sent me a new one no questions asked. Great stuff for a great price.
04 Chevy Trailblazer EXT-family ride
06 Joyner 650 Sand Spider-The Buggy
68 VW Rail Buggy-CNC rail conversion 44" Rear Paddles
85 19ft Bayliner Capri
Munchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th   #14
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

goin to call DDM today and place a order!
Old September 7th   #15
Wilson!
Wilson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepuff View Post
the one i was looking at was 35 watt.. i had read that the 55 watt can get a little hot in the small projection enclosures.. so your saying the 35 watt will b a little more blue than the 55 watt?
Yes. If you want more color go with 35w. The 35w 3k has very golden color. I wouldn't really call it yellow, but it should be fine for a fog light.

Last edited by Wilson!; September 7th at 07:14 AM.
Wilson! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th   #16
cheesepuff
cheesepuff
Says Roll Tide!!!

thanx for all you suggestions guys!
Old October 24th   #17
sounddepot
sounddepot
Shanking the Windows.
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Just wanted to let you know that we sell HID and install. Give me a call and we will get you taken care of.
vertigoreality@yahoo.com
sounddepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th   #18
GsxJawsh
GsxJawsh
Is ready for this summer!

ddm tuning is by far favorite choice for hids, they last longer, shine brighter, and come with a warranty, ive had 3 sets of them and never 1 disappointment. cheap price doesnt always mean cheap quality, i have 10k 55w kits for both my high and low beams on my truck and i love them.