Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage

Event Listings, Discussions, and Coverage Find, discuss, and see event coverage from the past, present, and future

Fall Mini Rally
Calendar: Events Calendar
Samir
Administrator

November 6th 08:00 AM to 02:00 PM
*The times shown may change, depending on DST settings
Where: Meet at Hardees, 5975 Highway 72 E, Gurley, AL at 8am

From the NABMS website:

"This event is free: Cars will que up and roll out at 3 minute intervals. The driving route will take about 30 minutes, after which time, you'll arrive back at the starting point. Your exact time out and exact time back will be recorded which will give you a traveling time. The goal will be to complete the course as close to the predetermined time as possible. You won't know what that time is, but if you drive the speed limit and obey all traffic laws/rules, you should hit that time. The winner is the driver who comes closest to the official time. After the run we'll eat hotdogs etc. and hang out. Multiple clubs are invited to participate. I'd like to invite the British, Alfa, Audi, and VW clubs as well as the BMW, Porsche, and Rocket City MINI clubs at least. Come one, come all! For more information caontact Ben Pender at 256-489-9560 or ben_pender@yahoo.com."

From the NABMS email list:

"Hey Everyone,

One of my customers and I are planning a mini TSD-style rally for the morning of Saturday, November 6th in Gurley, AL. Here are the details.

First of all, I'll provide a prize or two for winners. It'll be mildly competitive, friendly, and fun! I'm thinking I'll give an oil change and under-car inspection to the winner(s), but prizes haven't yet been determined.

The Rally will start and finish about 1.5 miles east of the Hardee's in Gurley (609 US Hwy 72, Gurley, AL
35748). I'm thinking that folks can meet up at the Hardees in Gurley for breakfast and a bit of tire/tyre kicking from 8-930am, and then roll over to Jim's house and get staged for "competition" and kick things off, officially, at about 10 am.

I'll hold a brief safety meeting and discuss the route and its more challenging areas. Then cars will que up and then roll out at 3 minute intervals. The driving route will take about 30 minutes, after which time, you'll arrive back at the starting point. Your exact time out and exact time back will be recorded which will give you a traveling time. The goal will be to complete the course as close to the
predetermined time as possible. You won't know what that time is, but if you drive the speed limit and obey all traffic laws/rules, you should hit that time. The winner is the driver who comes closest to the official time.

The course will take you about fifteen minutes out, you'll turn around, and then backtrack back to Dr. Jim's house so you'll get to enjoy the course going both directions. It'll also make it fun because you'll be meeting other competitors going the other direction on the return trip.

Once everyone has completed the course and returned, the winner will be determined. It'll be about lunch time by that time, and so there will be hotdogs and drinks provided. But feel free to bring something to share, if you like. After the run while eating hotdogs and whatever else there happens to be, we'll all have a chance to hang out and kick some more tires. Multiple clubs are invited to participate, so it'll be a great time to mix and mingle with members from other clubs in town. Right now, the British, Alfa, Audi, and VW clubs are invited as well as whatever other clubs I can contact. I'd like to invite the BMW, Porsche, and Rocket City MINI clubs as well, but I don't have any contact info for them. If anyone can help with that, I'd really appreciate it.

This event will be totally free, too. And let me say that since the key will be driving as closely as possible to the speed limit and obeying traffic laws, any car/driver has the potential to win, so don't worry about how fast your car can go. If you can drive it with normal traffic, it'll be every bit as competitive as a Ferrari, Porsche, or all-wheel-drive turbo'd Audi, so don't be bashful! Bring your British car, German car, Italian car. Heck, bring the family Camry if you have to, just come out and enjoy a fun morning!

The competition should be done by 1pm or so and the after-competition bs-ing and lunch should be done by 2pm or so, so you'll have the rest of the day to take care of the honey-do's!

And again, its all free, so come out, do some friendly competitive (NOT wheel to wheel, though, so your insurance will still cover you) driving, meet Huntsville folks from other car clubs and generally have a great time, all for free. What more could you ask for?"

A time-speed-distance (TSD) can be quite challenging and fun! When spouses do one together, it's interesting to see the teamwork, or lack of, lol.
1 members will be attending this event:

There are no replies to show.