Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old February 11th   #1
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

2011 season & registration fees

Looking at the upcoming season, I just have to bring this up again for the promoters and event coordinators.

There are groups, or several of us, that enjoy just driving and cruisin to events in our special rides, but are not interested in trophies, awards or door prizes. We usually get to events late, walk around to talk to all and to see their rides, get a bite to eat & drink, check out the swap meets, if any, then leave early, before the trophies & awards.

So we are not interested in paying the $20 or more for registration fees. But we would like to park our special rides in a safe and/or separate area, maybe just inside the entrance to an event with easy access in and out so that we did not bother the all day participants. But will not park our rides in the spectators parking where our rides could get door dents and other damage. In that case, for separate & safe parking, we are willing to pay a smaller amount for this privilege; possibly $5 to $10.

If the promoters and event coordinators would give this a try and see if they do get more rides. We do still spend money for food, drinks, vendors, swap meet, 50/50, etc. So by getting more of us there, you would not be losing.

Otherwise, either we may come in daily drivers as spectators; or not at all, in which you would be losing the money that we would have spent while attending your function.

Thanks for consideration of this option. Marsha
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th   #2
Beckham
Beckham
is at our new location in MADISON now!
Huntsville Car Scene Staff and Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Beckham
Good ideas and points.

Usually if I'm at an event just spectating, I park my car far away from the 'general' parking area and just walk a little further. Usually I'll come back to my car and there will be a few people who did the same thing around me (usually in nice cars).

www.facebook.com/TheSpeakerboxHSV
Beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckham View Post
Good ideas and points.

Usually if I'm at an event just spectating, I park my car far away from the 'general' parking area and just walk a little further. Usually I'll come back to my car and there will be a few people who did the same thing around me (usually in nice cars).
Same here. I've found that most people that are going to a car show will have enough respect not to door ding you, but i see you point. I prolly still wouldn't pay.......i'm cheap.
Old February 11th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Marsha, I've attended several local club planning meetings for their events and this is being strongly considered if not implemented, mainly because of the economy. I believe 2011 will see the same slow decline in participation across the board, and this suggestion will still keep people involved, even if they're on a limited budget.
Old February 11th   #5
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Thank you. This will sure help all, especially the ones that are retired or have one spouse that has retired. They still have a ride or two in the garages, like to get out, cruise and attend events. They have the time, but not necessarily the money. Marsha
Old February 13th   #6
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

Marsha, I like this idea. I am one of those like you that usually just park far away and come in as a spectator.I am retired and paying twenty bucks a week to just park my car in a certain area doesn't make sense to me.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th   #7
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I like the Idea, but fear that this will lead to everybody but a small few that actually enter the show. I know my car isn't a show winner, and would take advantage of the cheaper fee. I just get the feeling that the people that have placed in previous shows will be the only ones paying full entry, then we end up with not enough show cars to pay the bills.
Old February 13th   #8
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

More people paying a lower fee will bring in more revenue than just a few paying a higher rate.I have seen this at sporting events.If you lower the entrance fee, you get more participants and that leads to an increase in income.Simple economics.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th   #9
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I agree with the concept. I also know that there are only a certain number of people that will come out based on weather, free time, honey do list etc..., and if some of them have the opportunity to pay a lower rate they will. I know I would
Old February 13th   #10
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Good points and all for these ideas. Hope the ones putting on the shows read this.

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjohns View Post
I like the Idea, but fear that this will lead to everybody but a small few that actually enter the show. I know my car isn't a show winner, and would take advantage of the cheaper fee. I just get the feeling that the people that have placed in previous shows will be the only ones paying full entry, then we end up with not enough show cars to pay the bills.
I don't think a lower price just for parking will necessarily take away from show entries. I mean, most of the times the door prizes cover the cost of entry, and when the prize is an engine or a fully restored car, even exceed it. And these opportunities only apply for those entering a show.

If there's a car show that has 10 entries and $4000 worth of prizes being given away, I'll be dropping my cameras and entering a 1994 Honda Accord really quickly.
Old February 14th   #12
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

By letting the ones that pay the lesser entry fee know that they do not qualify for the awards, trophies, door prizes, and possibly t-shirts and dash plaques, etc.; they are only paying for the privilege of safe parking for their special rides; I do not see where it will change much on the ones that normally come to events for these items.

But for the ones of us that are not interested in this stuff, you will get more of us to your events. For local events, that could add possibly an additional 30+ rides to your events. On a sunny and warm day, maybe more. You have to remember that us street rodders (pre-48 rides), many do not have wipers, may have rides that leak (but will not admit it!), open engines - reasons why we do not bring our rides out if anticipating rain.

Of course, if the door prizes are great and something we may need or want, then we may change our mind and pay the full registration fee once we get there. But there is that group of us that have completed our projects, have won many awards and cheap door prizes over the years, and just not interested in any of that anymore. But still very much enjoy getting out and driving our special rides to events on those beautiful days.

I too hope that the promoters and coordinators see this thread and consider all that has been said. And if they decide to try this out, please make sure that the information is clearly posted on their flyers. Marsha
Old February 14th   #13
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

When I enter, for one, I'm not interested in the door prizes personally. The shows with the "really" good stuff is like slim to none for winning. If I pay it's because I want to compete for a trophy, not a car cleaning kit from dollar general I'm gonna throw away anyway. So the entry fee just to park your car is a great idea to me. Meets like Import Alliance are HUGE and only charge 5-10 bucks to get in. And most of the time there's really nothing to win. But you get to hangout and check out other nice rides.

Old February 14th   #14
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
I too hope that the promoters and coordinators see this thread and consider all that has been said. And if they decide to try this out, please make sure that the information is clearly posted on their flyers. Marsha
I know several of the large local events are aware of this suggestion and many have implemented it. And it will be noted on the flyers.
Old February 14th   #15
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I know several of the large local events are aware of this suggestion and many have implemented it. And it will be noted on the flyers.
Awesome to read.

Old February 14th   #16
calinkaos
calinkaos
has no status.

Just remember the money goes back to the clubs or charities. It keeps the scene alive. Every penny I spend I see as an investment. But then maybe that's just my vice for parting with the money.
Old February 14th   #17
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Charities and stuff like that is one thing. Show promoters is another. I know it cost money to put a show on but your losing money only letting "show" participants in. I mean at least give it a shot. Although we all know every show wont do this.

Old February 14th   #18
calinkaos
calinkaos
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD Z View Post
Charities and stuff like that is one thing. Show promoters is another. I know it cost money to put a show on but your losing money only letting "show" participants in. I mean at least give it a shot. Although we all know every show wont do this.
I feel as if people who feel their car might not WIN some prize might be more bound for the "SHOW" option. then the partisapants would be limited to the few "competitors".
Old February 14th   #19
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinkaos View Post
I feel as if people who feel their car might not WIN some prize might be more bound for the "SHOW" option. then the partisapants would be limited to the few "competitors".
This is true. I think its worth a shot to try. A lot of shows around here would have to do a better job of roping off the show area too.

Old February 15th   #20
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Well, I will be looking for those flyers with the lesser fees options, and will get this information out to all the ones that last year came in their daily drivers, as spectators, because they were not going to pay the $20+ fees, or could no longer afford those fees.

Samir, if you see those, please let me know. Then we will see how those go; see how many do attend for the lesser amount that would not have attended otherwise. Thanks, Marsha