Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old February 19th   #1
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Rain dates

This is another one of my dislikes. What about others? How do you feel?

There are so many shows and events in North Alabama, that I realize everyone wants their events to happen, be a sucess and make money for charities, or whoever. But to have a rain date for the following week or later is then imposing on someone else's event that has been scheduled for that day. I personally will not attend rain dates. I attend the event that has been originally scheduled for that date. Do others feel the same?

I have recently listed several events for May 14, which seems to be a popular date this year. But then several of those have May 21 listed as their rain date. For many of us, that May 21 date is the Goodguys event in Nashville, which, of course, we are not going to miss with 3,000 great rides!

When I have put on events and/or help to organize others, if we happen to be rained out, oh well. Then look forward to next year. Rained out two years in a row, then possibly look to move to a different weekend for the following year. But I would never impose on someone else's event. Especially an event that is in the same city.

Just my two cents worth! Thanks, Marsha
coupemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Personally, I think rain dates are a good idea. Weather is a big factor with most events because they are outdoor. And most people won't attend events in the rain--that's just the nature of it. Event organizers can plan for this contingency with a rain date.

Every weekend has events that occur at the same time as others' events. Car shows conflict with autocrosses, autocrosses conflict with poker runs, and poker runs conflict with car shows, just to name a few. Conflicts are simply unavoidable until every organizer starts using Huntsville Car Scene event calendars from years past for planning future event dates. And even then, there will still be conflicts.

And many times, organizers know the conflicting dates. Some plan conflicting events purposely, knowing that everyone won't be going to larger events. That's just a business strategy being employed. Because at the end of the day, each event employs business concepts--it's goal is to make a net profit. Charity events use the net profits to help the charity, while non-charity events help other causes including making an event bigger next year.

Personally, I'd love if every event in the area didn't conflict on time or date. In fact, I don't think there's anyone out there that would love it more than me. But I know that's not realistic.

There are only so many vehicles in our area, and there are only so many days for events. And this gives us a certain capacity for events. Even with event scheduling fully optimized for conflicts, I don't think we even have half the cars necessary to make every event successful.
Old February 20th   #3
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

I agree with Samir, I like rain dates just for the simple fact if its a big car show that I want to attend(Delphi, Ardmore, Athens on the square.....) I want those shows rescheduled if it rains. These shows are out to make money, and if they have to pay to get things in order for the shows to happen, then they will make every attempt to make the show happen. Sometimes these big events draw some attendees from the smaller shows, but we have a large amount of vehicles in our area and usually have a decent turn out at most all shows.
Old February 21st   #4
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

Rain dates may be nice for some. But say you are the one putting on a show, and the previously weekend was rained out. Now three of the events from that weekend are now on the day of your event. Then you may think differently.

I feel for those. And for that reason will not attend rain dates. I attend the event that was originally scheduled.

I do not believe the big events usually have rain dates. They are usually rain or shine events - the event will happen as scheduled regardless.
Old February 21st   #5
clintjohns
clintjohns
ROLL TIDE

In a perfect world there would be no need for rain dates because it would rain during the week and be nice on the weekend. You said you feel for the ones that have an event planned and all of a sudden the prev. weekends stuff gets moved due to rain. What about those people that had just as much planning to do, and advertising money to spread the word. Should they just be forced to be out that money if it rains on their weekend? I am assuming you have been on the short end of the stick due to this in the past. Nothing is a sure thing, especially when you are dealing with outdoor events in the summer. You have to roll the dice and let them fall.

See you at the shows
Old February 21st   #6
coupemama
coupemama
has no status.

We have been on both sides of this issue. And I never want anyone's event to be a flop or be rained out. I just feel bad when someone's event is carried over to the following weekend and then interupts or interfers with a same type event in the same city, i.e. local car shows.

I know that different type events like shows and racing can happen on the same day because they attract different car lovers.

Well, enough said from me. Thanks for the opportunity to be heard.

Looking forward to a great 2011 season and seeing all of you out and about, wherever that might be. We got a taste of this upcoming season by getting our rides out of the garages this weekend, checking the fluids, and cruisin around the neighborhood. Marsha
Old February 21st   #7
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
Rain dates may be nice for some. But say you are the one putting on a show, and the previously weekend was rained out. Now three of the events from that weekend are now on the day of your event. Then you may think differently.
I feel for these people too. But what happens more, and makes me feel just as bad for them, is when someone didn't even know about another event the same day. Especially when most of these events are for charity. This has the same effect as what you're talking about, but is completely preventable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupemama View Post
They are usually rain or shine events - the event will happen as scheduled regardless.
I like the idea of rain or shine events because there's no question as to if it will be on or not. And you'll be surprised how many will brave the weather for a cause. Woody Anderson had 40 cars in the pouring rain last year at their fall event.
Old February 21st   #8
MOONW
MOONW
has no status.

ardmore would be the only show i would do a raindate for .. there are too many others to worry about and all are good
MOONW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd   #9
calinkaos
calinkaos
has no status.

You have to imagine some shows put up a lot of front $$$$$. They need to at least make that money back. The rain date is their back up. Granted its not going to get as many people but some locations need advance notice to large scale events. Prep time to set up the show, and of course to advertise its happening. Its like a safe plan, which in some cases is smart marketing. if you put on a show and it gets rained out, what would be your back up plan? say you have three crate motors for give aways. A location that is high in demand for summer events. Forty people that pre registered. Are you really going to take the cut back from that?
I think rain dates are smart, for those large scale shows... Now some thing small like the pony night show or steak & shake cruisein, its not needed.
Old February 24th   #10
mboxtyger
mboxtyger
has no status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
I feel for these people too. But what happens more, and makes me feel just as bad for them, is when someone didn't even know about another event the same day. Especially when most of these events are for charity. This has the same effect as what you're talking about, but is completely preventable.

I like the idea of rain or shine events because there's no question as to if it will be on or not. And you'll be surprised how many will brave the weather for a cause. Woody Anderson had 40 cars in the pouring rain last year at their fall event.
And one soaking wet diecast vendor lol...
mboxtyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th   #11
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboxtyger View Post
And one soaking wet diecast vendor lol...
I hope your merchandise was safe!
Old February 24th   #12
mboxtyger
mboxtyger
has no status.

Wellll...Not so much lol...

I've been drowned at both the Woody Anderson's and
RCMC events (!); that said, come see me at RCMC this spring...

Dolphe
mboxtyger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

I'll see if I can't work on the weather for you, lol. If not, I'll be in it with you.