Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old March 2nd   #1
cLc
cLc
is fighting the man~!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to cLc
U.S. Government turns up the heat on Skyline(s)

Head over to my blog at: www.clc34.blogspot.com

ICE seized an R33 On March 1, 2011. This seizure has no connections to the kaizo incident. Please read the entire post before you ask any questions and I will answer them as best I can with what I know, and am allowed to give.

Please understand that I cannot answer some questions due to legal reasons. I will also not give information on any persons that could put them in "harms way" so-to speak.

Please spread the word and feel free to link people to any of the following sites with this information already posted:

www.clc34.blogspot.com
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/bre...ne-owners.html
http://autoholics.com/2011/03/02/U-S...rs-508206#more

-Chris

P.S. - Samir, Please call me when you have a second. Have a couple of things I would like/need to discuss with you please.

Last edited by Samir; March 2nd at 06:28 PM. Reason: fixed nicoclub link
cLc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd   #2
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

This is horrible and one of the reasons why I believe this country is turning to waste. This is the type of thing you would see in India or other third-world nations. And with my own Altima sitting with $2200 worth of damages caused by a C&K Roofing Crew illegal employee and no payment in sight, these type of injustices need to be fought, and fought hard.

I'm very sick, but I'll call you in just a bit. I fixed the Nicoclub link for you too.
Old March 2nd   #3
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

:/

Lame, there went my hopes of owning a Skyline one day.
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

It's not said and done. And it's not just Skylines. Any car with a JDM swap could fall into this same situation.

What's ridculous is the amount of time and energy to chase down, what, maybe 100-200 Skylines in the US? There's more illegal firearms in the state of Alabama. And don't get me started on the illegals running around here breaking the law with no consequence... I'm a victim!!!

This topic needs awareness. Let others know what's going on with this, especially if they have an engine swapped car. Yes, even sr20dets and ca18dets fall under this, so drifters need to be on the lookout for another reason for the law to bother you. Link to the blog and article links in cLc's post and let's get everyone in the enthusiast hobby to turn an ear to this.

Because the next thing they'll be targeting is, oh, an older Camaro powered by a new LSX engine. And that's a crime all the same as a Skyline.

I plan to bring this up to the SEMA Action Network and other well-connected people I know. Let's get the ball rolling.
Old March 2nd   #5
1 BAD Z
1 BAD Z
got'em hatin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh09 View Post
:/

Lame, there went my hopes of owning a Skyline one day.
My thoughts exactly

Common sense isn't a common virtue.

Link to the Nissan/Infiniti group page:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/154828527932506/
1 BAD Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd   #6
duh09
duh09

If I can get a homemade rail buggy and slap taillights on it and get it legal for driving up and down the road, it's absolutely ridiculous to think I wouldn't be able to drive a properly manufactured car down the same roads.

Honestly, what harm is there in imported cars or parts? I guess they're a big deal though, you know. With all the crime and violence they support. Crazy.
Old March 3rd   #7
Minichado
Minichado
could use a mental health day

That makes me sick. I already have issues with the governments lack of funding for important domestic issues while there is rampant spending trying to police the world... this is just ludicrous if you ask me. why don't they seize teenagers cell phones to keep them from crashing into folks, that is many (many) measurable times more dangerous than a car that may or may not have passed some safety test. How many accidents on the news recently have you seen involving a GTR?!? Ever?
Minichado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd   #8
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minichado View Post
How many accidents on the news recently have you seen involving a GTR?!? Ever?
You know, this is a really good point. How many enthusiasts actually get in accidents with their baby? Involving anyone else anyways? Probably next to none. I saw an r34 that was being drifted at Gresham Motorsports park being hammered back together, but that's about it. (It made me almost want to cry too.)
Old March 3rd   #9
Minichado
Minichado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir View Post
How many enthusiasts actually get in accidents with their baby?
this guy, but I think he qualifies as a rich idiot, not an enthusiast.. Oh yea, cell phone was the cause of that accident (in case you were curious)...

Bugatti Veyron crash video
Old March 3rd   #10
wagn8r
wagn8r
poops chickens.

SCREW AMERICA! we are so backwards with prioities we are making it unbearable! how many imported cars that haven't passed saftey ratings do you actually see? much less in a wreck!? whats the point of taking the cars away???? why dont we spend this millions dollar search on fixing the economy!? why dont we put these useless imaginary money into something that could potentially lead to something great? not something that makes more and more people hate america.

if you set me in front of the guy who started this stuff, i'd shove my size 12 skate shoe,.....somewhere not wanted, let's say it that way. i might make it a steel toe boot at that. this is ridiculous
wagn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd   #11
wagn8r
wagn8r
poops chickens.

A what!?!!?!?! 640$ toilet seat!?!?!?!?!?!? I have to pay 400$ to taxes this year and thats what its going to!!!!!!!!? You gotta be kidding me!

Hey american government! Watch tv!! Lowes advertises "no one beats our prices, no one." go buy a daggum 15$ toilet seat from them and haggle them down to nothing!
wagn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd   #12
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
this guy, but I think he qualifies as a rich idiot, not an enthusiast.. Oh yea, cell phone was the cause of that accident (in case you were curious)...

Bugatti Veyron crash video
lol, okay. But besides that guy...
Old March 3rd   #13
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagn8r View Post
why dont we put these useless imaginary money into something that could potentially lead to something great?
Seriously. This country is great because of the stuff that has come out of it. And everything that has come out of it came from somewhere else--like the Skyline!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagn8r View Post
A what!?!!?!?! 640$ toilet seat!?!?!?!?!?!? I have to pay 400$ to taxes this year and thats what its going to!!!!!!!!? You gotta be kidding me!
It's why I think govenment agencies need to be competing with privatized businesses--to keep their overhead in check. I tried to argue this point with a bunch of political science majors when I was at Vanderbilt, and they didn't get it--go figure. And then the USPS is competing with UPS and FedEx for the shipping business using tax dollars--let UPS and FedEx start delivering mail then--that's fair. Watch the cost of a stamp drop down to 30 cents overnight and with better service.

This situation with the Skylines just highlights all the major issues that are within the government that no one is watching or looking after. And there's a lot of people who's whole life and source of income is based on these things, so the argument is to not put these people out of a job. But at what cost? To hurt the country overall? Efficiency is going to win, one way or another, so people better wake up and be ready to improve themselves or be ready to be run over by those that will. It's just the nature of the beast in capitalism.

I'm sure there's people somewhere that are being rewarded for attemping to seize what literally amounts to such a small percentage of the cars in the US that it's not even funny--250/250000000=.000001 or 0.00000000000001%. And this is assuming that there are even 250 Skylines in the US and that there's only 250 million cars in the US. Funds for these seizures are being misappropriated in my opinion.
Old March 3rd   #14
duh09
duh09

Quote:
Seriously. This country is great because of the stuff that has come out of it. And everything that has come out of it came from somewhere else--like the Skyline!
It's why I think govenment agencies need to be competing with privatized businesses--to keep their overhead in check. I tried to argue this point with a bunch of political science majors when I was at Vanderbilt, and they didn't get it--go figure. And then the USPS is competing with UPS and FedEx for the shipping business using tax dollars--let UPS and FedEx start delivering mail then--that's fair. Watch the cost of a stamp drop down to 30 cents overnight and with better service.

This situation with the Skylines just highlights all the major issues that are within the government that no one is watching or looking after. And there's a lot of people who's whole life and source of income is based on these things, so the argument is to not put these people out of a job. But at what cost? To hurt the country overall? Efficiency is going to win, one way or another, so people better wake up and be ready to improve themselves or be ready to be run over by those that will. It's just the nature of the beast in capitalism.

I'm sure there's people somewhere that are being rewarded for attemping to seize what literally amounts to such a small percentage of the cars in the US that it's not even funny--250/250000000=.000001 or 0.00000000000001%. And this is assuming that there are even 250 Skylines in the US and that there's only 250 million cars in the US. Funds for these seizures are being misappropriated in my opinion.
I need to become more familiar with the importing laws.

To me, a car is nothing more than a good or product. It shouldn't have to go through any more hoops than any other foreign product to reach our shores. I can understand needing more than that to make the car legal for driving on the roads- the government owns the roads and has every right to lay down laws to keep them safe for everyone. But regardless of titling issues and legality with on-road driving, if I bring a car into the US as a "good", it should be mine. So long as it doesn't blast down the road, I should be allowed to do whatever I want with it; track car, show car, whatever. It's just metal and plastic and some fluids that come together to make a functioning automobile.

Now when it comes to titling this same car that I've gotten in, in my mind, it shouldn't be any different than getting a fabricator's custom title so long as it meets the basic standards for legality, turn signals, seat belts, horn, headlights, brake lights, windshield, etc. It's not like Japanese standards are radically different from ours just because they sit on the opposite side of the car.

But regardless to all that, if they want to take Skylines and imported cars off the roads, thats one thing. But to hell with them seizing cars as "illegal contraband".
Old March 3rd   #15
cLc
cLc
is fighting the man~!
Huntsville Car Scene Site Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to cLc
Please understand that the skyline community (including Vandrel) is more concerned with the misappropriation of funds that this involves. With all the problems going on at the moment, allocating the large amount of money put towards this, it just makes no sense.

Now, the problem with the seizure of the car is that the warrant was issued on shotty information at best. As Samir said though, this does not just affect R chassis's, it encompasses a much larger amount of cars. Yes the car is not federally legal to drive on the streets, but where does the seperation of state and federal law? The state has stated that the car is legal to be driven on the road by issuing a state title and registration.

If you really want to go through the MASSIVE amount of paperwork surrounding importation I can provide that information, but it is quite a daunting task.

Like I said, I will answer any question the best I can.
cLc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd   #16
Minichado
Minichado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLc View Post
Please understand that the skyline community (including Vandrel) is more concerned with the misappropriation of funds that this involves. With all the problems going on at the moment, allocating the large amount of money put towards this, it just makes no sense.
Yes, exactly. They have enough problems as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLc View Post
Yes the car is not federally legal to drive on the streets, but where does the seperation of state and federal law? The state has stated that the car is legal to be driven on the road by issuing a state title and registration.
And considering the car in question had no engine, it was not on the streets. I wonder if every old car rusting on someones lot should be seized because the registration lapsed? Honestly though, where does the arm of the law end if they carry on this ridiculous path?
Old March 3rd   #17
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Honestly though, where does the arm of the law end if they carry on this ridiculous path?
And that is my concern. Give them a inch and they'll take a mile.

This is a sticky point, but I'm going to put it out there anyways. The new 'Homeland Security' and 'TSA' regulations take advantage of this fact all the time. Why is it that I'm stopped or searched every time I fly? One reason--the color of my skin. This is racism with a smile. Myself and thousands of others put up with it because it's 'in the name of security', but if selective enforcement based on racism was effective the countries that face real threats would be using it. I laugh every time they talk about the 'random check'. "Oh, that's me!" I usually say minutes before they call my name.

I have no idea why we didn't adopt the real security measures like what I saw in countries with daily threats. When they tell you to be there two hours early for security, it was because various different machine gun armed government officials were going to check over you and your belongings for the sake of security, and no other reason. No big budgets. No overhead. No ego. Just trying to do an honest job to keep people safe.

But implementing such a system here would have been too drastic too quickly, even though it would have been more effective in the long run.

And this is the problem with almost everything these days from the government to private business. There's never enough time to do it right the first time, and then there's never enough time to fix it. And that's just waste on top of waste.

At some point as citizens, we have to say enough.
Old March 3rd   #18
Minichado
Minichado

Quote:
At some point as citizens, we have to say enough.
See The Civil War
I mean, well, or just become one of those annoying lobbyists that keep our gov't from functioning in the first place. I feel I am getting slightly off topic hear...

/mourn Skyline!
Old March 3rd   #19
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

Quote:
See The Civil War
I mean, well, or just become one of those annoying lobbyists that keep our gov't from functioning in the first place. I feel I am getting slightly off topic hear...

/mourn Skyline!

O yeah this is a great idea let's over throw the government. I'm not saying it's perfect but I blame the democratic party..........that is all I have to add.....not that it has anything to do with anything.
Old March 3rd   #20
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
...or just become one of those annoying lobbyists that keep our gov't from functioning in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilZ View Post
O yeah this is a great idea let's over throw the government.
That's not what I'm saying, but if this doesn't stop, what's going to prevent a Fit from being siezed for 'contraband' modifications or a c6 z06 for 'contraband' tires and wheels?

There's a bunch of money being spent right now to seize Skylines of little comparative value compared to the cost of joint task force government efforts. But what if money can be made off all this? Then you'll see this escalate to other parts of the hobby, and then it will be like fighting congress (literally) to stop it.