Go Back   Huntsville Car Scene.com > Huntsville Car Scene Forums > General Discussions

General Discussions When the thread doesn't fit anywhere else...

Old March 11th   #1
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

2011 Cannonball Run

I got an email about this event.

"Cannonball Run Rally Events would like to cordially invite you to the first ever "Cannonball Run" being held in Detroit, Michigan, the birthplace of the automobile, otherwise known as The Motor City. The 1st Annual RoadRunners Rally will begin on Friday morning, October 7, 2011 in Detroit, Michigan. This year the rally will raise over $50,000 for Children's Hospital of Michigan and will be awarding over $50,000 in cash and prizes to the winners. The entry grid is restricted to only 400 Vehicles (spots are filling up fast!) from supercars to vintage, luxury, muscle, classic, custom, kit-cars, electric, concept cars and any other vehicle you can think of with 4 wheels.

Teams will be invited to a pre-rally launch party on October 6, 2011 to receive the official 2011 Roadrunners Rally sponsorship car decals/graphics, MISSION PACKS and meet their fellow roadrunners AND HAVE THE SECRET RALLY ROUTE REVEALED. The following morning they will embark on an incredible 1,100 mile scavenger hunt/Poker run spanning 4 states, hit checkpoints along the way, stop for a trackday at one of Michigan's largest raceways and cross the finish line back in Detroit, Michigan on Saturday, October 8th for the infamous "Cannonball" black tie gala reception featuring dinner, open bar, guest speakers, entertainment, wild surprises and overnight accommodations for all participants. The victorious team will be announced during the gala dinner and will take the grand prize, the trophy and free entry into the next Roadrunners event to defend their crown. This once in a lifetime adventure costs an entry fee of only $995 per car FOR A LIMITED TIME. All Car Clubs receiving this email will receive 1 FREE Entry to the 2011 RoadRunners Rally with every 5 of their fellow Car Club members signing up (Car Club Presidents/Secretaries please forward this email to your members to take advantage of this limited time offer, valid until 3/31/2011). This event is open to all! We look forward to seeing you at the starting line."

Since I'm thinking of spending $1000+ for vinyl for the Accord, why not get some special vinyl and have some fun while doing it? Just driving the event and finishing would be fun. Of course, there's a lot of other expenses involved and this is just an initial thought. The Accord can drive 1000 miles, but it's got too many little things that I'm not comfortable with at the moment. But still, this is an interesting concept. What do you think?
Old March 11th   #2
duh09
duh09
needs parts for all of my cars!

This sounds awesome. It'd be cool to see HCS representing.
duh09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th   #3
EvilZ
EvilZ
is around.

I will do this before I die.

My goal for this year is to join the 200 mph club. Still doing a little research making that happen.
http://www.bonneville200mph.org/

Last edited by EvilZ; March 11th at 01:08 PM.
EvilZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th   #4
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

There's actually several different 'road rally' type events happening this year. But this was the only one in my research that gives money to a charity.

The 200mph club seems like it would be interesting as well. The whole thing has a real scca/road racer type of feel to it. I bet you could get on as a driver as opposed to prepping a car. The cars don't seem cheap, that's for sure.
Old March 11th   #5
mailman
mailman
uses spellcheck to avoid looking stupid

This cannonball run just won't be the same without Dom Deluise.☺
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th   #6
Samir
Samir
is missing the scene
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
This cannonball run just won't be the same without Dom Deluise.☺
That's one of the zaniest movies of all time. Cannonball Run 2 was just as zany and even more crazy.

It's amazing how many big stars they had in them though--everyone from Jackie Chan to Frank Sinatra in one movie.